Target stand

Sargan

I was going to make my own target boss from one on the many designs around ... and no need to as my kids just bought me a MyBo 90cm bag target for my birthday.

So now I'm looking to build a stand for it .......... assume I will make a 'shelf' 30cm deep to suit bag, just wondered if anybody has done this, and whether a traditional tripod style is best ... or to go for a 4 legged folding stand.

Attachments

Sargan

OK ... would then need to make a frame to hang it from ....... not sure if it would be any easier ? unless you know better.
Now if I could come up with frame that also held up backstop netting that would be neat ...

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hanging the bag makes the contents last longer as a lot of energy goes into moving the bag so less goes into penetrating the contents.
The A type frame places legs close to the gold area and acts like an anvil which helps the arrows to shoot the middles out.

Sargan

Can follow that logic.
So anybody made a hanging frame? For me would be good to incorporate backstop netting sport as well .. but I could hang that from a wire between 2 hooks.

Asking as someone might have done this already.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
We use frames to hang backstop netting. Imagine two A frames facing away from you and wide enough apart to hang the boss between. Use a rigid pole to hang the netting from so the stands aren't being dragged over by the weight. If the back legs are longer than normal, the cross pole will support the net at an appropriately safe height. The bag could be hung from a lower cross pole that fits between the longer legs.Being lower down that leg, will also mean it is closer to you so the net will be hanging behind and still allow the boss to swing a little. The net will also settle the boss after a hit, so it doesn' t swing too long afterwards.

Sargan

So you actually hang these in practise?
I had assumed due to the flat base it had to be 'stood' ... is there is no deformation of the boss over tine?
Sort of guessed the stadia are for carrying only.

Any chance of a picture of the set up you use ?

I had thought of making the finding 4 leg model ... from plans here ..
adjusting dimensions to sit 90cm.. and raising shelf to put Centre of boss at 130cm.

http://www.archeryinterchange.com/f285/new-target-stand-plans-193438/

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The folding stand in that link is superb ,in my opinion.
I hang my boss because I am mean and at very close range I am only interested in catching arrows. Hanging allows me to catch far more arrows before the boss is shot out. I actually use a layered foam boss, which does deform over time if left hanging or standing by itself. But I fix a solid sheet of foam( about ?20) to the front and that stiffness keeps the layered boss in shape. Each helps the other if you see what I man.
I think the stand in the link could be adapted to hold up a backstop netting, too.