Target to field - who has made the move

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Another round, more fun!
At one point the three groups met up and a few decided to have a go at a boss up a steep hill about 65 yards away shooting through trees, etc. Several shots were flung including two from a crossbow (with sight); all missed. So I thought I'd have a go - I was the only one to hit the boss, almost square in the middle - hooray!

The main thing I need to sort is matching range to sight markings - mostly got it right but a couple were out enough to miss on the first shot - both hit centre on the second.

My son shot well too - it really is great.

We now have our NFAS wings too so can think about an occasional tournament.

English Bowman

Excellent advice. We are all AGB members through our club and will be renewing again in September so perhaps that is the way to go. Basically all we are concerned about is being covered for Public Liability and personal cover so we will look into both AGB and NFAS.

As for targets, the cost of 3D targets is horrendous. I had no idea they were so expensive. I have seen a video on youtube on making targets that has given us some good ideas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGsEBwiKnCI

I don't think we will be going in for competitions, not at the start anyway and as I'm now 68 I don't think I will be any time.
Don't write of the idea of competitions entirely, for most people it's more about the social aspect of enjoying a course with like minded people than winging and bringing home a medal. Think of it as an extended club, where you get to meet other like minded archers to have a great day's shooting with.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Don't write of the idea of competitions entirely, for most people it's more about the social aspect of enjoying a course with like minded people than winging and bringing home a medal. Think of it as an extended club, where you get to meet other like minded archers to have a great day's shooting with.
I like that, a lot. specially the extended club idea. Winners; you can count on one hand; new friends can be far more than a handful and they usually last longer than the joy of winning.

English Bowman

Geoff's absolutely understood my meaning. I have good friends now from places as diverse as Cumbria to Cardiff who I've met through competitions. People who I would have never met any other way, but now have added to my life. I've had my share of wins, and have a collection of nice shiny medals for it, but as Geoff says the friends made are more important, and last longer than the glory of a win.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
Good posts Geoff and Bowman. As an update the land we were going to rent has fallen through due to the landowner deciding he could squeeze more money out of us.
We have decided that it would be better to join an already established field club. It will be cheaper and the set up and targets are already there. The nearest club to us is Butsfield Bowmen in Durham and we are going to sort something out after the New Year holidays.
As for competitions, I just feel that at 68 I am a bit old for it and just want to enjoy flinging arrows in the countryside at variable distances. I can't speak for the others of course, as they are all younger than me. \i'm at that stage of life where everyone seems younger than me.:poulies:

Mistake

Ironman
I can second this.

Even when I was actually in a group with people I was directly competing against, it was a lot more friendly than target.

I think its part of why I had such a good season last year; it was much more like shooting at the club than I find at target events (even though I shoot in a target club)

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

4d4m

Another here. I have recently joined my (very) local NFAS club and just today got my NFAS number through. :)

Andyt23

You may well have joined now Graham, but in case you need convincing (and also just to say hi)...

I joined Butsfield Bowmen just over a year ago as a distraction from target archery - and can honestly say I'm enjoying the best archery times ever up there!

It's such a great place to be, alone or with friends. It has plenty members, but on any given day you won't see more than a dozen and you're all spread out around the course so it feels like a private archery paradise most of the time anyway. It's not somewhere you have to worry about fitting in, it's just there in all its glory 24/7 for you to enjoy whenever you like.

There are a couple of hoops to jump through to get joined up (assessment, application to NFAS, then Butsfield membership), but it doesn't take long in the grand scheme of things and I can promise you won't regret it...

I've only done one organised shoot myself, that Butsfield hosted, but it was a great day and it made a nice change to see the place lively with an event going on. All part of the fun and you can shoot non-competitively if you want to. I'll be going to some other shoots this year, just to get to visit some different courses and meet new people.

Winning and prizes mean absolutely nothing - by far the best thing about it for me is relaxing, shooting, seeing the wildlife and the changing seasons and sitting in the cabin at lunch time with a flask of soup and the phone turned off.

If you want any more info at all, ask away or feel free to drop me a message, otherwise - hope to see you up there!

Westbrom_Mark

I've also made the jump from Gnas to my local Fnas club (Frankley Bowman). What a revelation, friendly atmos with a bit of banter. Unlike my stuffy target club..

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have not changed over to field, but it is interesting what so many have said about the friendly banter and atmosphere at field shoots. As a target archer I always found target competitions run by local clubs to be full of banter and friendliness.
Perhaps some target clubs don't get involved outside their own club and don't experience this fun side of target archery.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
I?m shootings both and really enjoying each discipline. Had a major wobble with target but after a fairly decent PB (and a 1st for once), I?m liking both.

Windfindergeneral

First post so Hi all :wave:
Making the move myself from target to field at the moment, spent the last few months shooting an easily moved bag target at the range which has helped no end.
I'm shooting my compound instinctive, but having tried finger release i've returned to the wrist release, the only pain is that if I shoot an NFAS open I'll be tossed into unlimited, but I'm willing to take that on the chin for the time being :expressio (I've got the option of primitive if I feel the need to compete on a more level playing field).

Staring down a rugby pitch at the same old target day in day out'll send me round the bend eventually, plus I love the spending time in the woods and I think my 7 year old will be more interested in joining me shooting foam animals than he is in straw bosses.

D

Deleted member 7654

Well said Windfinder.... go primitive, you know you want to.... get back to archery's roots.
Del

Windfindergeneral

Del, your website and web posts have helped me no end over the last few years, cheers
I originally bought the compound to use when I was (Ahem) between bows I'd built, but the speed of the compound has been really addictive.
I tried decrowning and linen backing both for the first time on the latest bow but it feels hideously slow. Problem being, if I go much beyond #35 it irritates my elbow, I'm running #60 on the compound barely a twinge.. :bang:

Windfindergeneral

Having been shooting target for a couple of years I've found it very hard to keep motivated not being an overly competitive soul (done one target comp, total yawn), I think it helps if your a perfectionist and you have a drive to beat club records and win comps, at least you then have a tangible target to aim at to keep you going through the mundane practice. Obviously field archery can be taken down the same route, but for me there's a more laid back feel to the field archery game. Then again, maybe the shine will wear off in a year or two :headache: