The British Archer Magazine

Berny

Anybody looking to rehome their collection of British Archer magazines? Esp. from the earliest dates: 1949+
I would promise to cherish & take care of them & share their content with others & not sell for profit or otherwise.

Alternatively is there anybody in/near the Scottish Borders who would allow me to look at &/or borrow their issues please?

Berny

I wonder if there is anybody out there who might consider this ....

Anybody looking to rehome their collection of British Archer magazines? Esp. from the earliest dates: 1949+
I would promise to cherish & take care of them & share their content with others & not sell for profit or otherwise.

Alternatively is there anybody in/near the Scottish Borders who would allow me to look at &/or borrow their issues please?

Berny

British Archer magazines are not just for Christmas - to be cherished until passed on to the next torch bearer/obsessive/wannabe-composite-bow-historian

Yew Selfbow

hey Berny ... I've just had an idea
Scan your collection of magazines, set up a website and charge a small fee for a down load ( say ...2 or 3 issues for a quid).... I'd subscribe !!!

word of warning Berny ... I haven't really thought this through :duck:

Berny

hey Berny ... I've just had an idea
Scan your collection of magazines, set up a website and charge a small fee for a down load ( say ...2 or 3 issues for a quid).... I'd subscribe !!!

word of warning Berny ... I haven't really thought this through :duck:
I have huge gaps in my sparse "collection" which I'd like to fill, hence my request/plea
e.g. my biggest gaps are: 49, 52-58, 59, 64, 66-68, 69-76, .... mot of 80's.

but maybe there's the germ of an idea:
- if everybody scans what they've got then we could build an online collection
- & then allow access/download to subscribers/users/contributors.

Hmmm!

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I have huge gaps in my sparse "collection" which I'd like to fill, hence my request/plea
e.g. my biggest gaps are: 49, 52-58, 59, 64, 66-68, 69-76, .... mot of 80's.

but maybe there's the germ of an idea:
- if everybody scans what they've got then we could build an online collection
- & then allow access/download to subscribers/users/contributors.

Hmmm!
Wouldn't that be a breach of copyright?

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I think the copyright may have demised with the mag back in the 80's
Life of the author + 70 years. Multiple authors = life of the last surviving author + 70 years. Life of author unknown = publication + 70 years; for the UK.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I saw something recently about Sherlock Holmes passing into the public domain.
Yes it can take that long...

Berny

Maybe not such a good idea then

....back to original sense of the the thread then:

anybody got any British Archer magazines looking for a good home, where they will be cherished etc.

Yew Selfbow

Wouldn't that be a breach of copyright?
Good point R.E.
I believe ( a lawyers opinion would be helpful) that if the original publishers are no longer in business you're OK. But if the publishers were taken over by another publishing house then copyright is automatically transferred to the new parent company. (I may be wrong of course)

If the the copyright issue could be resolved, an online archery magazine archive would be superb !!!

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Good point R.E.
I believe ( a lawyers opinion would be helpful) that if the original publishers are no longer in business you're OK. But if the publishers were taken over by another publishing house then copyright is automatically transferred to the new parent company. (I may be wrong of course)

If the the copyright issue could be resolved, an online archery magazine archive would be superb !!!
Not so much the publishers - they don't usually own copyright on the materials, unless it's written by employees and the employment contract says so explicitly...
Copyright vests in the author of the work and can't be transferred, only licenced. It's what makes re-publishing "orphaned" works a problem (and why google was trying to finagle the US govt into giving them the right to circumvent the rules).
NB. Not a lawyer, just generally interested in the insanity of copyright...

Jane666

If you're still interested, I have Volumes 1 &2 (1949-1951) of The British Archer bound as a book. I've been sorting through my late parents' books, and my Dad was a keen archer before us kids were born (although he did try to teach us both). I have the pewter mug he won as a runner up in the Sun Bowmen Championship in 1951, which I'm keeping, but I have no particular interest in the magazines and I'd like them to go to a good home.

Berny

If you're still interested, I have Volumes 1 &2 (1949-1951) of The British Archer bound as a book. I've been sorting through my late parents' books, and my Dad was a keen archer before us kids were born (although he did try to teach us both). I have the pewter mug he won as a runner up in the Sun Bowmen Championship in 1951, which I'm keeping, but I have no particular interest in the magazines and I'd like them to go to a good home.
Yes please, I'd be interested in them, thks