The dreaded clicker...

JohnK

Ah yes, the moving clicker. Marking the spot on the riser or clicker plate where it should be with a fine marker pen is a good idea :)

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Fortunately, the correct position for it is exactly at the back of the clicker plate mounting screw, so it's easy to put back.
And bimble, that reminds me of the Bit that Jeff Bridges meets in the recogniser in Tron "nonononononononono". That would be cool, actually.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
The clicker as a contactless sensor, tiny LEDs on the bottom of the sight pin, red for 'draw more' amber for 'last sixteenth' green for 'spot-on'.

Whitehart

The clicker as a contactless sensor, tiny LEDs on the bottom of the sight pin, red for 'draw more' amber for 'last sixteenth' green for 'spot-on'.
IMO misses the point of the use of a clicker and shot execution, if you are concentrating on lights your subconscious and conscious mind is not focused on the right areas for shooting arrows consistently .

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Hey, hey, I wasn't actually dreading it, but from reading all the clicker threads on here, I figured a lot of people did/do. I'm actually still quite enjoying it, problems notwithstanding, 'cos I can see how it will help me long term.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
You sounded nicely positive when you first posted about the clicker.
They do exactly what they say on the tin. But there are still a few people who say they are dreadful things.
I would say they don't like being misused, it's like turning screws into wood with a chisel; or levering lids off pain tins with Mum's best silver knife or spoon.

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Or using my sewing scissors for paper...? :)
Off to use it again tonight, I shall check carefully whether it's moved while in the bag again. I'm hoping tonight will be better; if I can make it through a session without a screw loose, I'll be doing well. 🤣

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Well, I can report that the clicker is fine, but the archer has no end of unidentifiable problems. :(
Shot a Portsmouth last night, and discovered that if I don't use the clicker then I just keep drawing way past the point of any sensibleness, and finally release the arrow at a way higher poundage than I'm used to! Very uncomfortable, and a very high arrow resulted.
Had to come down about 4 times when I realised I wasn't going to make it through the clicker on those occasions, and once where I was just drawing and drawing without realising it had already clicked.
However, clicker notwithstanding, I was randomly spraying the target face like a, well, I don't know what, but it was pretty bad. One of the club coaches had a look at me, and said she couldn't see anything obviously wrong, so I don't know whether that's good or bad.
I don't know what's happened this year, I'm shooting well below what I would call my normal standard. Not happy. :cry::unsure:

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I think I am right, that you fitted the clicker, shot, and found it was OK where it was. That is a good start but not necessarily the best start.
A better way might be to find out how much arrow overhang there is when you first contact your face with the string. Then draw a comfortable amount further and see how much the overhang has reduced. This is best done with an observer, or video.
When you find the difference between reaching your face with the string and pulling a comfortable amount more, you can set the clicker so that it is about midway between the two. With the clicker set that way, you should not get a click before reaching your face with the string. Nor should you pull to the point of blowing a fuse, before it clicks.
If you then shoot without the clicker, the shot should be released at a draw length very close to the one the clicker is set for.
Drawing way past your sensible draw , when you don't use the clicker, sounds to me as if you are drawing, and still drawing for the click to happen which is too far because there isn't going to be a click. Or put another way, it seems you forgot the clicker wasn't in use that shot.
Doing this in a round is bound to make things look far worse than they really are.
In your situation, I would set the clicker as suggested( unless it is already in the right area ) I would shoot three arrows with the clicker and three without. The objective here is to shoot good shots; so close range( 10m) is a good idea. Good shots; where you ignore everything but the drawing of the bow. Drawing without the clicker means you shoot when you feel ready/strong/comfortable.
When the clicker is in use, the same draw is used and the clicker goes while you are comfortable/strong/ and prepared to release.
You may draw well past the clicker before you release. You may hear the clicker, draw a little further and not release for a second or so. You are not compelled to shoot at the "click"!! I would get used to that and, while learning, try hard not to stop drawing at the click sound.
The draw is not ; draw, click, stop drawing, release. You will still be drawing when you release, with or without the clicker.
The only real difference is that one way is silent and the other has a click, if it is loud enough. The click is more like "permission to go when ready."