The dreaded clicker...

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Yes, that's precisely what happened with the overdraw - I was waiting for the click to let me know that I'd reached the appropriate draw length, and of course, didn't get one!

I think you said in another thread that the clicker shouldn't be a trigger; I have had occasions where it's clicked, and I haven't released because I wasn't happy with where I was at that point. More of a 'if everything's right, then why hold onto it?', rather than a 'must get rid of it now!' trigger.

I genuinely don't think the problem is the clicker, that seems to be fine where it is. To draw considerably further is a definite strain, and to draw less far is absolutely a poorer shot that drops low. I am in the position where if I know I'm not going to get through it, I know that there is something else wrong; better than previously, where I would have carried on regardless.

I will be shooting without scoring at all next week; just concentrating on the shot and the technique. I think I've started to get really hung up on the poor scores, and need to lay off the scoring for a while. Back to basics, if you will.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Nice reply.
If you think of the clicker as a trigger, then it is easy enough to liken it to a starting pistol for starting a sprint. That sounds OK BUT.... false starts are very familiar in sprinting; there are fears of making them!! Fears are not good news in any activity like this.
If you were drawing too far thinking the clicker hasn't gone and continued, when it wasn't set, then the over drawing wasn't the clicker as you say. It is probably set well in that case.
One way of looking at the clicker is this. It gives you one less thing to consider. You don't need to wonder if your draw length is like last time. You will be told when it is the same and you can feel the confidence in knowing that.

jerryRTD

]
I like the idea of one that shouts NOW. :D
There is nothing in the rules that I 'm aware of the forbids the use if two clickers. They would have to be magnetic with rods instead of blades so they could be set close together but it should be doable

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
One draw check indicator, audible, tactile and/or visual may be used provided it is not electric or electronic.
though I wonder if you made a single clicker that had two blades how that would be taken... you could make the argument that the rules would prevent two clickers, but not a single clicker that clicks twice...

Whitehart

though I wonder if you made a single clicker that had two blades how that would be taken... you could make the argument that the rules would prevent two clickers, but not a single clicker that clicks twice...
Spigarelli do make a 2 stage clicker that is FITA legal.

1575447346958.png

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Well, I didn't have chance to do a non-scoring round (busy on Saturdays, and we were so drained last Wednesday evening that we just didn't make it to the sports hall), so the first shoot in about 3 weeks was a tournament Worcester. That was weird! Never shot a full Worcester round before, never mind a tournament.
But I made a few form changes, specifically around stance, breathing and speed.
And...fell back in love with shooting again, yay! It was beginning to feel like a chore, and I was really not enjoying it.
I wouldn't say there was any improvement in scores, but do you know what? It didn't matter, I had a good time and enjoyed myself.
Still loving the clicker, although I don't feel any need for a two stage one, not sure where that discussion came from.
I shot through it just the once, and about had a heart attack when I did. But otherwise, it's great, and really has stopped the vertical spread.
Postal Portsmouth on Wednesday, and Frostbite on Sunday, so we'll see how we go, but I'm happy to be happy again.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Nice to know you are enjoying your archery again. It is something we take up because we liked shooting on the beginners' course.
When the enjoyment goes; it's an unpaid job.