The Masters Games

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
You need to be over 30, and as far as I can see, Archery is not included in Finland.

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Well, I am over 30, and the entry fee isn't a problem, but shucks, that would have been a nice opportunity. :( Oh well, never mind, I'm sure there'll be other chances.

JohnK

Can confirm: there's a lovely glossy leaflet we picked up for Tampere this morning when we registered in Turin, and it doesn't list archery as one of the sports.

It's a real shame, as I love the Nordics and was hoping to combine a visit to Finland with a tour of Scandinavia, but it's not to be.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
As I've just said on the AIUK FB page, I'm hoping that the 'missing archery' on that leaflet is just an oversight & all will be well.

Archery IS still listed as a supported sport on the IMGA website.

I'll let y'all know when I get a reply to the email I sent last week, prolly once they all get back from Torino.

May I suggest that everyone concentrates LESS on the missing info on the leaflet & MORE on the fact that my info that Tampere would be the host city was correct all along?

NO room for pessimism here, boyz'n'galz :D

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Just had a dude post a pic of the leaflet on our FB group.

I'm DISGUSTED about the total apathy the implication of archery being dropped has highlighted!

Why aren't we already up in arms?

Why aren't we battering the IMGA doors down to DEMAND an explanation?

This is my reply to the leaflets:-

Why not find an IMGA official & ask them why the hell Archery isn't mentioned!
How many archers are in Torino?
- are there any signs of 'tensions' between IMGA & WA?
We have 4 years to 'fight for our cause', if we do nothing then maybe we don't deserve any 'international status' at all?
What's next? Being dropped by the IOC too?
There are plenty of other 'minority sports' that will be fighting tooth & nail for inclusion as ANY level.

#FightForTheBow

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I just emailed the IMGA account; if as many people as possible ask the question, that can only help, right?

JohnK

Just had a dude post a pic of the leaflet on our FB group.
Well, I did tell you what it said, but at least the message has got through now.

I'm DISGUSTED about the total apathy the implication of archery being dropped has highlighted!

Why aren't we already up in arms?
Well, maybe some of us are actually about to compete at the 2019 games, and are focusing on that rather than four years in the future.

Why aren't we battering the IMGA doors down to DEMAND an explanation?
Aggression will not get the response you want. Sure, vent harmlessly (and anonymously) on forums, but if you are going to write to them, then keep it polite and don't ruin the chances for the rest of us who'll be writing in as soon as we've finished the job in hand. No point in discussing it further here, certainly.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
I'm the OP, I'll decide what can & can't be discussed here, thank you very much.*

The 'some of us..' are excused until after Torino ends but what about everyone else?

btw Unapologetic mass rebellion often proves to be a more effective tactic than appeasing anonymous whinging hidden behind a virtual safety net. See:- Hong Kong, France, London etc.

The sooner the ball rolls, the more momentum is gathered, the harder it is to stop!

*subject to roolz & moderation ofc.

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I had this response from IMGA:
"Tampere was selected as a host city for the next European masters games in May this year but the official handover will be done at the closing ceremony here in Torino.
I understand you are upset to not see archery on the program but I would like to inform you that this is a tentative sports program and that the IMGA hasn’t approved yet.
We will of course look into where archery can be held and as they are a full member and a strong supporter to our events, a solution will be found!
Tampere wanted to get the word out that they are the next host but many things still need to be finalized.
I hope you are now reassured and can pass on the information to other masters archers."

So, a ray of hope there.

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have replied to IMGA, asking if they can keep me informed as to the status of archery at Tampere. We'll see what happens, but I thought that was a positive response. Good shooting to all those at Torino. If I'd known about it, I would have joined in.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Nice one, EmmaDragon :)

I got pretty much exactly the same response, but I'm obviously not as quick off the mark as you.

- Later nights, later mornings I guess ;)

Yes, it's great news for everybody, certainly sounds like the intention is to include archery, just up to Tampere to get it organised once they take up the baton. Mayhap after the handover, if we can discover the organisers' addy, we can ensure that they are fully informed that many hundreds of us are awaiting confirmation & details.

Yes, Torino would have been kewl, but it came maybe a year too early for me to have any chance of attending - hell I don't even have a passport right now!

(I'm been stalling, hoping my next one will be a BRITISH passport not a European one.)

So lets be glass-half-full & start dreaming & Planning for

EMG TAMPERE 2023

dottorfoggy

In a couple of weeks I may have the opportunity to talk with finnish archery associations and few tamperee shooters, let's see if they have any good news
Fingers crossing for archery in 2023

JohnK

To correct your asterisked qualification, you don't have any ownership or authority over what is discussed here *at all*. There is no such thing as free speech on an internet forum, so if the mods don't like what you (or I) am saying, off it goes. If you don't like the fact that I'm commenting on your posts, I suggest you block me. Then I won't see what you post, and vice versa, which to be honest is probably the best thing for both of us.

Demanding that archery be included smacks of entitlement; we *aren't* entitled to anything. We are in fact extremely lucky to be able to travel and compete at Masters events, especially given that we are participants in a minority sport.

Also, comparing requesting that archery be included in an event to the Hong Kong protests against authoritarianism is laughable, not to mention profoundly insulting to that cause. Mind you, given your general attitude, it doesn't surprise me that you'd make this comparison. Not one little bit.

And by the way, in a demonstration that having polite discussions with the correct people is the best approach (rather than anonymously whinging and threatening to scream and yell), it so happens that some of us in Turin have had a polite chat with certain people, and we are assured that archery will be included in Tampere 2023.

Which concludes my involvement in this thread, you will no doubt be delighted to hear.

Emma - All the best to you and the other enthusiastic, positive people who are reading this and hoping to travel and compete on European soil with our fellow archers from around the world. I look forwards to standing on the line with you! :)

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
A polite reminder that bad language is not tolerated on this forum, however it is posted. Please remember members may be as young as 13...

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Hi, JohnK, many thanks for the good wishes. I'm looking forward to standing on the line with you, provided I'm good enough by then! (It won't be for lack of practice, I know that.)
I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly IGMA (IMGA? I can never remember which way round it is) responded to my email query, which was as follows:
"I’m very interested in competing in the European Masters Games in 2023, which I understand are being held in Finland. However, a contact of mine who has just participated in the Torino games tells me that the leaflet for Finland makes no mention of archery being included. [I didn't realise at the time of emailing that Torino wasn't finished]
Could you tell me whether this is just an oversight in the leaflet, or whether archery, which I understand has been very well represented over the past events, has indeed been dropped from the programme?"
Emma.