thinking of border

dottorfoggy

It's a shame that I didn't know about border when I was looking for my new bow last year, actually with 34" AMO my 27" prodigy xt with long limbs still looks a little bit short for me. The idea is to change to the border tempest 27" + extra long limbs.
I really love it! I get the opportunity to see one at the island games this summer and I can't forget it!
Just few question, about limbs, there are 3 type of them, They have big difference between?
Just to start to find the right combo for me.
Daniele

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
There's the CV series, a conventional profile limb that's the best in it's class.
Then there's the Hex6 series. A hyper recurve running a low brace height, and Hex7 series. They're on 7.5s just now, and they are extremely recurved. These are the fastest. Both Hexes have an interesting draw feel, particularly the 7.5s which almost feel like they are getting easier towards the end of the draw. It's very smooth and easy through the clicker.
All three are available with wood or hyperflex cores. Hyperflex is a few fps faster.
You'll need to be careful with arrow spine - the extra speed needs a stiffer spine. And you'll need to be able to make a string about 73" long for a 74" bow. If you have problems with that I can recommend a UK based stringmaker.

Sid and Sid at Border are good at offering both before and after sales advice and they are always an email away.

dottorfoggy

I have already ask some questions to Sid, really kind! But I don't want to stress too much for a next year purchase.Btw the tempest riser is absolutely beautiful! And the 74" configuration will sure help my long draw.For the string, fortunately I can make it by my self :DIf I have understood right, there is just the ilf configuration for the limbs, or there is a "formula" version like hoyt? I mean, can I buy now limbs to fit on my formula?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Oh yes, they do Formula fit in the Hex series too, but they'll work slightly differently: The butts don't bend like Hoyt's do, and they don't put a bush for a top weight in the butt. Some one I know shoots Hex7 XL on a 27" RX. Very quiet bow.
On a set of XLs I'd guess they'll be made to order for you, so there might be a few weeks wait if you order today.

JohnK

I shoot XL Border limbs, and they do make them for stock, so you *might* be lucky.

I'm going to be making a 74in bow as well with a 27in Tempest. The reason is that I have a 32in draw and I will be stringwalking, so I want the extra length to be kinder to the bottom limb.

JohnK

I shoot XL Border limbs, and they do make them for stock, so you *might* be lucky.

I'm going to be making a 74in bow as well with a 27in Tempest. The reason is that I have a 32in draw and I will be stringwalking, so I want the extra length to be kinder to the bottom limb.

Corax67

I only ever hear good things about Border when I come across archers shooting them - we have a 40yr old Border recurve in our club stock which still shoots like a dream, I did a lot of barebow with it at the end of last season and just on that one bow I would highly recommend them.

One of our guys has their CNC alloy riser with I think Hex 6's - it is incredible ! Ultra tuneable, so so quiet and faster than a fast thing. A lovely bow to shoot.

Karl

dottorfoggy

[video]https://youtube.com/watch?v=W9a3vhaR9dY[/video]

This is me in a training session this august, just to see how work my bow on me, remember, 27"+long limbs and 10" brace 34" amo

Maybe I need a custom 76" :archer232

JohnK

I think you'd be fine with 74in :)

The only reason I'm going to 74in for stringwalking is the extra stress I put on the bottom limb when I crawl down the string for short distances.

Nice shooting, by the way.

dottorfoggy

so, is time finally to upgrade to border limbs
CV or HEX 6.6, the 7.5 are out of my budget right now :(

which one will work better on my long draw? looking for 42# at 34"

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I think you are best chatting directly with Border. Your draw length is longer than most of us have come across and Sid can talk you through each limb type, as well as making sure your measurements align with how they do things.

JohnK

I think either would be fine, from my experiences with those models. I still think a 74in bow would be fine.

However, as TT says, Border will be able to advise you properly :)

JohnK

Oh, and while I remember...

With Border, you can order a specific draw weight at a specific draw length. For example, my HEX7.5s are marked "41lbs @ 32in".

So tell them you want 42lbs @ 34in and the riser you're mounting them on, and they'll match that weight, + or - 1lb.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
The whole of the UK is snowbound so I'd guess Border aren't in work at the moment, so they'll be a bit behind when they get into work again.

dottorfoggy

Yeah I know, and I can understand. I have no panic right now, my big goal is for the next island games in the 2021, with some indoor/outdoor nationals as mental training.
so now we are working hard to reach a good stable technic.

dottorfoggy

good/bad news

bad
cv take long time to have it

good
a new series are under production, the cvx that take the advantage from the hex series giving and extra # at the shoot and more smoothness