Tiller Photos

jeburf

To follow up on my previous thread, I decided to go with cherry belly, ash core and maple back. I tapered the laminates using a rasp as suggested by Del. It took ages but was very easy to do. It's all glued up and spoke-shaved to shape and I must admit, I'm pretty proud of how it's looking so far!

I've decided to put up photos of the tillering process for two reasons:

-It's only my second attempt at making a bow, the first of which didn't go very well! I would like to hear any feedback you have. Don't worry about offending me, be as critical as you want!

-After looking around the internet I haven't been able to find very many photo's of the tillering process. Those that I have found tend to either be AFB's or pictures of the completed bow at the final tiller. The back-street bowyer pictures are good but I'm making a Victorian-style bow rather than full compass.

Here's how I left it last night. Both limbs seem to be bending quite smoothly but the right limb is stiffer than the left.

inkystu

I'm sorry I know nothing about longbow making but looking at your brickwork I'd say your left limb is longer than your right limb, that may be the reason the right limb is stronger. I don't know if that can be corrected by moving the grip a little but in general archery terms if the right limb stays SLIGHTLY stronger then I would use it as the bottom limb. If my dad was alive, he would have been able to throw a lot more light on it. Times like this I wish I'd listened more!!!

It looks like a great start for you though, keep posting the updates!

jeburf

The top limb is on the left, with the centre mark on the very left edge of the tiller stick, so the bow is being supported where my hand will hold it. Is this correct or should the centre line be in the middle of the tiller stick?

Would it be an idea to start a thread for people to post their pictures of bows on the tiller, showing hinges, flat spots, stiff limbs, good tillers etc.? This would serve as a good resource for new bowyers like myself so we know what to be looking for as we make out own.

The top limb is on the left, with the centre mark on the very left edge of the tiller stick, so the bow is being supported where my hand will hold it. Is this correct or should the centre line be in the middle of the tiller stick?
Now then, I only started making bows 6 months ago and reckon that i'm starting to get the hang of the tillering process...ish?! I've always gone off the centerline of the bow and I mark the middle of the string but most of my bows have been symetrical. How have you marked the handle out? 1 inch above center and 3 below or have you made it symetrical? I think you appear to be posistioning it correctly eg the tillering stick replaces your hand/arm, if you placed the tiller anywhere else the bow will bend incorrectly when you actually draw it. The main thing is that there aren't any hinges in the limbs, my advice is to progress SLOWLY if you've got a desired draw weight and yes i'd take wood off the stiffer limb.

D

Deleted member 7654

I could be wrong here, but I think you may be falling into the Tillering trap.
The left limb is the stiff one! (to my eye)
It has less curvature, if you look at the position of the tips you will see the left is lower. If you weaken the right limb, it will flex more and the bow will tilt over to the left even further.
It's one of those counter intuitive things which can sometimes take a while to 'get'.
Remember the bow can pivot like a see-saw.
(If you aren't convinced by what I'm saying, imagine a rigid left limb, it would pull down and pivot the bending right limb upwards)
You have done well to stop and think at this point.
You are right to support the bow where your hand will be, also pull the sting from where your fingers will be on the string. (This is more important on shorter less symetrical bows).
Make haste slowly grasshopper ;)
Del
If it was me I'd be taking a tad off the left limb 1/3 of the way out from the handle.
Oh, and draw on the wall to mark the curve of the bow, it can help show up what is happening as you progress.

jeburf

Time to come in for a cup of tea, so I'll show you where I am now:

The string is a bit tighter than last time but it is still saggy - zero brace hight. The limbs both seem to be bending nicely but therre is something a bit odd. Right limb stiff towards the handle?

D

Deleted member 7654

Looking pretty good, those tips are down to the same point.
I see what you mean, but it's pretty subtle, I think you are doing a fine job.
The pic being on a slant doesnt help tho' :)
Break out some chalk (or won't the missus let you?!)
Del

jeburf

It's a rented house, so I probably shouldn't be drawing all over the walls!

I've replaced the last photo with a straightened one.

D

Deleted member 7654

It's a rented house, so I probably shouldn't be drawing all over the walls!

I've replaced the last photo with a straightened one.
:).
Yeah, that's looking really nice, the limbs have effectively been swapped over with the right one just the slightest tad stiffer now.
It's a good idea to get the string to somewhere near the finished length ASAP as it gives you a better feel of the true draw weight as you start bringing it back further. (The long string can give the deceptive impression that the the draw weight will increase a lot when you get the shorter string on it, this isn't as pronounced as you might expect as the leverage angles change,
Note all the above is just my opinion)
Regarding the actual curve of the limb, I think we all have our preferred shape, I think I tend err slightly towards the whip ended look, whereas Alanesque's laminated bow is working harder in the centre section...it's down to your own eye.
Del

alanesq

I agree - it looks very close, just the right limb is a bit stiffer than the left
its difficult to say for sure as the limbs are different lengths I think?

I tend to rest the bow on the centre point then draw it slightly and adjust where the string is held so both limbs are coming down the wall the same amount - it may be worth giving this a try before taking any more wood off ?
When finished I hold the bow so its resting at the centre point in my hand then mark the arrow pass simple from where my hand is

I tend to find its always difficult at this point as every adjustment you make you see the draw weight creep down a bit more
but if it does drop too low you can always shorten the bow a bit

btw - my tips are always too stiff but this is just down to fear of going too far ;-)

jeburf

well this is where I am now:
50lb @ 28" with a 4" brace height. I am aiming for 45lb at 28" with a normal brace height but I would be happy with anything between between 40 and 50lb.

I like the shape of the left limb. Do you think I would be able to get the right limb to match it or will this be impossible because of the difference in limb lengths?

I think I left the core and back laminates too thick - There isn't much left of the cherry belly in some places!

jeburf

Bugger! Just heard a little "click" while on the tiller and this has happened! It is on the back, about 3.5" from the mid-line on the bottom limb so just below the handle.

What can I do now? can it be repaired as Alan has done to repair chrysals in the Back-street bowyer? Or is it now firewood?

D

Deleted member 7654

:(
I'd say, mentally write it off, so you won't be dissapointed if any remedial action fails.
Then I'd try to take off the back lamination and glue on a new one.
I think patches, bindings etc will only dissapoint in the long term.
(Take solace in how much you have learned...)
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

Take the back off (or work it down to V thin) and put on a Bamboo back?
Del

jeburf

That was my first thought when I'd seen what had happened!

Does anyone know any good bamboo suppliers? I know they sell it on flybow for about ?20+ postage but I think I'd rather prepare the laminate myself. Would I find big enough pieces in a garden centre?

alanesq

If you contact Chris at Irondale Longbows
I am sure he will be able to help you out
he uses a lot of bamboo

I was speaking to him about backing yesterday and he swears by Ash so this may be worth a try ?

The right limb is now a bit too stiff, by the looks of it wood needs to be taken off from about a third of the limb length away from the handle- working tipward! I would also say that the right tip (last 8 inch) is looking a wee bit stiff. As Del says i'd would defo being trying to shorten the string and get it braced, even if brace height is only a couple of inches to begin with. It should give you a better idea of what is going on. I'd also point out that it's worth having a really close look at where and how it bends in the first 2-3 inch of the draw eg. do the tips start to bend at exactly the same time when those first few pounds of draw are applied? This can give a lot of clues as too which limb is stiffer, it's really important to look at the curves all the way through the draw and not get hung up too much on how it looks at full weight of pull! PROGRESS SLOWLY and you are going to end up with a lovely bow by the looks of it, please post more pics as it's great to see others bows taking shape.

jeburf

No worries, I had assumed that's what you had done!

I've found my self some bamboo & cut it to size. Do I scrape off the very outer layer of "rind" or leave it how it it?