Tillering questions

minime

Hi

I'm just beginning the long string tillering process. I was just wondering should I be flexing the bow as I go along just to get it used to bending etc, and should I not leave the bow on the tiller for too long in case it takes set? Thanks

D

Deleted member 7654

Get the string short as soon as possible without straining the bow past it's final draw weight. A long string doesn't pull at the same angle as a short one and can give a slightly missleading impression, things can look worse on a short string, and the sooner you see this the longer you will have to even it out. Also make sure the bow is free to rock on the tiller, don't clamp it rigidly.
Del

minime

Many thanks for the advice. About short stringing it, what length string should I be using? The bow is 66'' nock to nock. I've ordered a one loop bow string so I can adjust the length as I need it but I'm just waiting for it to arrive

D

Deleted member 7654

Many thanks for the advice. About short stringing it, what length string should I be using? The bow is 66'' nock to nock. I've ordered a one loop bow string so I can adjust the length as I need it but I'm just waiting for it to arrive
The one loop string will be ideal, the bracing height will be about 6" If you pull it back with the long string untill the tips are back 6" (put a straight edge between the tips or a piece of string etc, or jus tlook from tip to tip), then you know you can get the short string on.
Del