Titan Scope - Ring and Dot???

PaulT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
I know this question has come up before, but for the love of me I can't find it.

Does FITA allow the use of a ring and dot together in a Titan scope?

Ta

Tropicalshot

i would say yes its only field that has concerns about that.

7.3.1.5.3 A sight may be attached to the bow for the purpose of aiming and
which may allow for windage adjustment as well as an elevation
setting. It is subject to the following provisions:
? A bow sight extension is permitted;
? A plate or tape with distance marking may be mounted on the
bow as a guide for marking, but must not in any way offer any
additional aid;
? The sight point may be a fibre optic sight pin. The total length
of the fibre optic pin may exceed 2cm, provided that one end
is attached outside the athlete?s line of vision at full draw,
while the part within the athlete?s line of vision does not exceed
2cm in a straight line before bending. It can only provide
one illuminated aiming spot at full draw.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Having a ring and pin together is within the law, but I decided not to do that myself because it might be seen as a range-finding device, which wouldn't be permitted on unmarked field rounds. Should be fine for target though.

JohnKR

The bit in the rule book that causes the uncertainty is?
7.3.1.5.1 It must not incorporate a prism, lens, or any other magnifying device, levelling, electric or electronic devices nor will it provide for more than one sighting point.
This can be interpreted in different ways, such as the rule meaning two points at different distances in the line of the sight, such as a back sight on a rifle, or a peep?

Click HERE and scroll down to the posts from Andreas.
Having said all this, I have seen them used at WR status shoots (with ring and dot), and passing inspection by a ?continental judge? without comment.

PaulT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Thanks, for that John. It looks like Andreas is contradicting the rule as I read it?
Another point on the 2 aiming points bit -
If a single point of aim on a "standard" sight ring and pin counts as either the ring or pin, then surely a ring on the Titan lense and the ring of the Titan housing would count as 2?:dizzy:

JohnKR

I agree, plus, if any standard sight can be used open, this is a single point of aim, add any pin in the centre and it has two points, the ring and the pin?
So any sight with a pin falls foul of the rule?

Tropicalshot

I agree, plus, if any standard sight can be used open, this is a single point of aim, add any pin in the centre and it has two points, the ring and the pin?
So any sight with a pin falls foul of the rule?
but the rules states so long as the pin does not extend 2cm back

? The sight point may be a fibre optic sight pin. The total length
of the fibre optic pin may exceed 2cm, provided that one end
is attached outside the athlete?s line of vision at full draw,
while the part within the athlete?s line of vision does not exceed
2cm in a straight line before bending. It can only provide
one illuminated aiming spot at full draw.
most sights can be construed as having more than one aiming point, the outside of the housing/ the inside ring of the housing and what ever pin or ring option you have in the middle,compound and rifle both have a front and rear sight (peep)to which Fita is trying to avoid on the recurve.
remember rules can always be missInterpreted. Rules and Judges are there to Aid the archer and not penalise them.

so as fita has allowed them i would say use them

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a daft question that doesn't warrant a new one. I have just acquired a Titan Recurve scope to replace a standard Shibuya sight pin.

Which end are you supposed to look through? Is the glass supposed to be at the near end or the far end as one looks through? And is the long end of the flouo pin supposed to point toward the target or the archer?

The enclosed literature does not make this clear, and I can't find a clear picture of one in use.

Can anyone stop sniggering long enough to answer? :cool:

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
I have just acquired a Titan Recurve scope to replace a standard Shibuya sight pin.

Which end are you supposed to look through?
If you can read the word "Titan" normally on top of the housing it's pointing in the right direction.

And to get back to the original post, according to the Titan website the "Titan Recurve Scope" is "Designed and FITA approved for recurve Fita Olympic competition", so I assume they mean in whatever configuration ....

http://www.titanscopes.com/recurve.php

Odd that no one ever queries the far more elaborate Beiter sight pins!

http://www.wernerbeiter.com/en/products/sight_tunnel/Sight_tunnel_inserts_12.php

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
If you can read the word "Titan" normally on top of the housing it's pointing in the right direction.

And to get back to the original post, according to the Titan website the "Titan Recurve Scope" is "Designed and FITA approved for recurve Fita Olympic competition", so I assume they mean in whatever configuration ....

Titan Scopes

Odd that no one ever queries the far more elaborate Beiter sight pins!

Werner Beiter | Dauchingen | Germany | Products | Sight Tunnel
Thanks, W. I'm a left hooker so it was not immediately obvious whether 'Titan' should be the right way round, but on the bottom, or upside down, on the top.

L

lee81070

I've another question similar...I have a Titan but want to change the sight pin for a ring for Recurve Target (not field). I think this is legal (FITA and GNAS) but do not want to run the risk if there's some grey area. Currently have the fibre optic in but have spare plain glass for a ring.

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
I've another question similar...I have a Titan but want to change the sight pin for a ring for Recurve Target (not field). I think this is legal (FITA and GNAS) but do not want to run the risk if there's some grey area. Currently have the fibre optic in but have spare plain glass for a ring.
No problem it's just a sight ring.

Just be careful how you install it though ...!

Anyone know where I can get it mended?

L

lee81070

Isn't it just a case of removing the thread that's still there and forking out for a new one?

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
Isn't it just a case of removing the thread that's still there and forking out for a new one?
To be honest if it were that simple I wouldn't have broken it in the first place.

Somehow the threaded bar got well and truly stuck in the sight block adjuster of the Shibuya Ultima Carbon (Mrs Worthipa's sight). It wouldn't screw in, or out, and I broke it trying. Now I've got half a threaded bar still stuck in the sight block adjuster and the other half still attached to the Titan (Woe is me ....).

L

lee81070

My apologies for the dumb question...Had a look at mine and can't see an easy way to take it apart without inflicting more damage.