Torn tape

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Does anyone else get this problem with XS wings? The vane cuts through the tape. I've tried just nipping the front of the vane down but they pop out from under the tape. I've tried XS and Gaspro tape, both doing the same thing. It might drive me back to plastic vanes :(
fletch.jpg

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yup, spin type vanes all do it. That's why I use nice soft spinwings, put them on backwards and fold them over. This creates a tab lying flat to the shaft perfect for taping.

inthemiddle

I've not had this problem but don't put the tape up so high on the wing, only about 2mm overlap, and used to use spin wings, yellow or white. I don't use them at all with compound now though

Stretch

I had that problem with XS lining tape. I switched to a different brand and that sorted it. It was a while ago but I think I used the clear stuff from Custom Wraps folks (Because I had it).

Nowadays I just use 3m pin striping tape, cheap and cheerful for huge rolls. I think it would be tough enough for the sharp edges on XS.

I stopped using XS as the yellow ones I had tore up like crazy when the temperature dropped around freezing. No clearance issue they just turned to confetti if you shot two arrows close together.

Stretch

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Yup, spin type vanes all do it. That's why I use nice soft spinwings, put them on backwards and fold them over. This creates a tab lying flat to the shaft perfect for taping.
Yeh... probably go back to spinwings :) And I do find the XS cut up on each other too much as Stretch said.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes, that's also a problem. slice, slice, slice in the winter, and fade in the summer. Gas pros have a little tab on the bottom but they are very stiff and the tape is [email protected] I'll stick with spinwings folded over, which, incidentally, seem to give a weirdly similar profile to KSL :oops:

ArcheryFox

It might drive me back to plastic vanes
I shot spinnies for a while (elivanes in my case), and whilst I found them to be pretty good, I eventually got tired of all the faff and fragility.
Did some group testing at 90m and 70m against plastic vanes and concluded it made little difference (spin were a tiny bit higher at 90m).
No regrets as the maintenance of plastic vanes is so much easier and they are far tougher.

Of course, YMMV and spinnies might give you significantly improved groups.

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
I did have that problem with XS and Spider vanes, never with Gaspro or Spinwings. Now for all of my vanes, including my feathers, I don't use the supplied tape, but cut strips of electrical insulating tape and use that. Nothing cuts through it, and you have a nice choice of colours!

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
The advantage for me with spins is this: on the move, no need for a fletching jig. They go on fast by hand on lines I've put on with indelible pen. When travelling abroad it's a godsend, but even weekends shooting it's great.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I went through a period of using strips of duct tape to top and tail (largely because the stuff arriving with vanes wasn't staying down for me). It's fiddly to get consistent, though.