Training aid/s for an intermittent archer

SpudCake

Hello

I'm looking to buy one or more training aids but don't know what type I should be looking at.

If I could, I would happily shoot 200+ arrows a day, but I simply don't have the time or opportunity. I have so little time in fact that I'm lucky if I can shoot a 100 arrows a week. I haven't been shooting for 6 weeks, but want to keep developing my strength so I can practice my form. Can anyone recommend some kind of training aid?

I'm just looking for something to replicate drawing my bow. I don't want to practice with my bow unloaded in case I dry-fire it. I was considering buying a cheap bow and dry-firing that, but I'd rather get something made for purpose. Resistence bands look okay, but I've read about cheap ones failing and people's rooms/faces being destroyed.

Ideally, I'd like something that will let me increase my draw weight. I'm currently pulling ~36lb, so getting something that would let me train at ~30lb up to 50ish would be great. If I could practice my release at the same time, that would be ideal.

Regarding a budget, I'd say ~?60 in general, but I'd be willing to pay more if it was truly worth it.

Thanks.

SpudCake

Thanks for the reply.

Both of those are the types of things I was looking for. However, I've watched a video on Youtube about the Quicks one and it doesn't look like much. Certainly not worth that money.

Searches for information about the Exerset give lots of opinions from scared people. I'd also be concerned about it damaging my bow.

So, I did another search and found this:

Olympic-Style Stretch Band Training Improves Your Archery | Golden Gate Junior Olympic Archery Development

If I could get a set of those, proven to be reliable, I think I'd be okay.

buzz lite beer

Stretch band is probably the best single item for folks in your situation, can be taken anywhere with you easily (if you don't mind looking like a prat at work :p )
buy two then you can intensify your work out by doubling up the load :)

carl7

They sell all kinds of exercise stretch bands, not archery specific but a lot cheaper and most come with handles. Personally, I use a road bike inner tube, (since I have lots of them laying around) I use it daily to warmup mainly but can be used to train the muscles if done in multiple reps.

Carl

Alun

Same problem, I use an Astro Shot Trainer. Not perfect, in fact used with enough slack to let the bowstring get to the ends of outstretched fingers (to practise the release) and it is downright painful, as it slaps against the inside of the forearm. However, for doing reversals it is just fine.

Hawkmoon

Yon can also try holding a small dumbbell in your bow hand while using a stretch band to help improve stamina in the bow arm. Or even use a spare handle to loop the bands through and then tape to the dumbbell to make a nice little trainer I have mine with 2 bands on it one light one medium so I can do lots of light reversals or use both fort some heavier exercise.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Is there any way you could shoot in a garage, or similar?
There is no real substitute for releasing the string with an arrow on. If height restricts you from using your recurve, perhaps a short hunter length bow could be used instead??

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Item BA95 in the Quicks catalogue - bow trainer
I've got one of those. I use it for my (annoyingly frequent) rehab and it works fine. Admittedly it seems expensive for what is at the end of the day a piece of pipe with silicone bands on it that you could knock up yourself, but, conversely you were looking at buying a bow and potentially destroying it.

However, it really functions as a weight trainer, not really a form trainer, at least as far as the release is concerned. If you let go of the bands it really stings. You can do reversals on it and anchor with it to your heart's content.

SpudCake

Hello again. Sorry I didn't respond sooner.

I've been thinking about this, and at this point I'd probably feel better using a band of some kind. Holding a weight in my bow hand looks like a great idea, so I'll try that. I would prefer to dry-fire a bow. If I could get one for about ?60, that would last a few years of dry-firing 140+ times a day, and maintain a draw-weight similar to what it was at the start, I'd consider it. As long as it wasn't going to explode at full draw. I'm surprised there isn't already some fake bow that can be used for this purpose.

I've seen videos on Youtube of people shooting into their garage, and they make me really want a garage. Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere nearby that I can shoot. Not legally anyway.

Just to clarify, I want training aids to initially help me get comfortable with my 36lb draw. Then I'd like to keep training my draw-weight so I can move up in poundage, and do a seperate routine where I can practice form and technique.

carl7

Hello again. Sorry I didn't respond sooner.

I've been thinking about this, and at this point I'd probably feel better using a band of some kind. Holding a weight in my bow hand looks like a great idea, so I'll try that. I would prefer to dry-fire a bow. If I could get one for about ?60, that would last a few years of dry-firing 140+ times a day, and maintain a draw-weight similar to what it was at the start, I'd consider it. As long as it wasn't going to explode at full draw. I'm surprised there isn't already some fake bow that can be used for this purpose.

I've seen videos on Youtube of people shooting into their garage, and they make me really want a garage. Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere nearby that I can shoot. Not legally anyway.

Just to clarify, I want training aids to initially help me get comfortable with my 36lb draw. Then I'd like to keep training my draw-weight so I can move up in poundage, and do a seperate routine where I can practice form and technique.
The thing that worked very good for me to increase draw weight is doing bent over dumbbell rows and drawing a compound set for perhaps 4-5# heavier than your pulling and are comfortable with now.

The problem with shooting a heavier bow in hopes of increasing draw weight is soon your form breaks down and errors start to come in.

Carl

Ar-Pe-Lo

did not read all, but I'm using Win and Win Power Belt Stretch Band (WA40 in Quicks) and its very good.....I can simulate draw weight similar to my shooting poundage (47#) and you can also simulate bow mass weight which is as important.

Hawkmoon

What ever you are doing also try to keep going through your shot cycle in your head while you are doing it, don't watch tv or something else that will distract you try and keep the same level of focus as when you are shooting.

Stash

Get yourself a bag type target and shoot your own bow at home. All you need is about 2 metres of room. Training devices are OK for strength building, but they are no substitute for actually shooting a bow.

Mark31121

Ironman
Rather than dry firing the bow wouldn't something like the formaster be better?? You could then just use your bow and take the worry about dry firing away.

I don't know if you've ever dry fired a bow but it sounds and feels awful, not something you'd want to be doing 140+ times a day...

SpudCake

did not read all, but I'm using Win and Win Power Belt Stretch Band (WA40 in Quicks) and its very good.....I can simulate draw weight similar to my shooting poundage (47#) and you can also simulate bow mass weight which is as important.
I did see that, and while it looks like it would be useful, is it really worth ?32.50?

What ever you are doing also try to keep going through your shot cycle in your head while you are doing it, don't watch tv or something else that will distract you try and keep the same level of focus as when you are shooting.
That's great advice, and what I intended to do.

Get yourself a bag type target and shoot your own bow at home. All you need is about 2 metres of room. Training devices are OK for strength building, but they are no substitute for actually shooting a bow.
Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere I could shoot safely and legally. If I had a garage, I'd definitely invest in a target like that.

Rather than dry firing the bow wouldn't something like the formaster be better?? You could then just use your bow and take the worry about dry firing away.

I don't know if you've ever dry fired a bow but it sounds and feels awful, not something you'd want to be doing 140+ times a day...
Can the Formaster be used without an arrow? That was another one that I looked at, but I've only seen reference of it being used with arrows. As with the Power Belt above, is it worth the ?38.95?

I've also seen the Morin Trainer, but that's also expensive at ?40. Are these things made of extremely high-quality materials?

I once dry-fired a club bow when the arrow slipped off the nock as I released. The bow almost jumped out of my hands.

EDIT

I've just watched a video of the Astra Archery Shot Trainer (Shot Trainer Instructions and Demonstration - YouTube), which I've read is a more refined (and more expensive) version of the Formaster. It looks really good, but are these things built to last?

Mark31121

Ironman
They recommend that when you start with the formaster that you do it without an arrow and when it's being used with an arrow it drops the floor a couple of feet away from you (they recommend doing this in front of a boss to be on the safe side, but that's health and safety for you). That way you could practice the full shot cycle including going through the clicker if you use one. I'd also recommend printing off a scaled target and attaching it to the wall in front of you, that way you can also aim and get used to the sight picture (with the gold being the correct size).

As for the cost you could easily make something similar - all you need is a load of para cord and look up how to do something like cobra stitch/knot

Ar-Pe-Lo

I did see that, and while it looks like it would be useful, is it really worth ?32.50?

That's great advice, and what I intended to do.

Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere I could shoot safely and legally. If I had a garage, I'd definitely invest in a target like that.

Can the Formaster be used without an arrow? That was another one that I looked at, but I've only seen reference of it being used with arrows. As with the Power Belt above, is it worth the ?38.95?

I've also seen the Morin Trainer, but that's also expensive at ?40. Are these things made of extremely high-quality materials?

I once dry-fired a club bow when the arrow slipped off the nock as I released. The bow almost jumped out of my hands.

EDIT

I've just watched a video of the Astra Archery Shot Trainer (Shot Trainer Instructions and Demonstration - YouTube), which I've read is a more refined (and more expensive) version of the Formaster. It looks really good, but are these things built to last?
I have astra trainer too and it will last ling long time, not worry there.

As if it's worth the money....you have to answer yourself. For me yes, as almost any other equipment for my bow cost more than that. I know I can made one yourself, but saving ?15-20.....I rather buy and spent my time shooting:)