Training target

dottorfoggy

Indoor is coming and I want to keep training hard.
So, I can't trading every day at my club range and I'm looking to see if some of you are using some kind of target, really solid at short distance.
Actually the only target I have is in foam, between 20/25cm deep that we use outside.
The big problem is that at 2 meters my arrows, even if they are new, they will pass through line 10/15 cm to the back side.
I'm shooting 46" with 32" x10. Maybe I will change back to the X23 for the indoor season
Have you some special solution for that? To be confortable to don't trough the target and shoot in the wall?

Corax67

46# at a target 2m away ?

I cannot think of anything suitable as a target material for that combo other than highly compressed layered foam in a frame.

Karl

AndyW

If it's a wooden frame type you can tighten with a ratchet strap around the frame and re band after tightening. Another option is to nail/screw a piece of wood to the rear of the wooden frame and attach a piece of old carpet from it so it hangs free at the rear - this should kill the arrows when they pass through.

jonUK76

I use a Longshot layered foam boss for practice. At a rough guess its 20 cm thick, and it stops arrows from my 42 lb recurve effectively. I do however get some partial pass throughs with my compound, even with fat aluminium arrows. As said a bit of heavy carpet, or something like a piece of heavy conveyor belt rubber put behind the target should stop the passthroughs damaging the stand without inflicting damage on the arrows.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I use a layered foam boss hanging from the rafters to take some sting out of my compound arrows. That works until the boss gets a bit loose. I then add a dense foam block, similar to Danage type boss material to the back. So the layers catch the arrows gently and the dense foam stops them once they are already in the foam at the front.
The back layer can be rotated independently from the front boss so the holes in both no longer line up and that gives it a whole new lease of life.
Carbon shafts tend to rub the foam and creates more damage than smooth ally shafts. Fat ones slow even more.
I adjust my sight so arrows land about 2" from where I aim. I then shoot one arrow. After that I aim at the last arrow shot. If I get a straight line of arrows, equally spaced, that is the equivalent of a lot of Robin Hoods. Arrows out of place tell you which direction they were off the mark.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Not a boss suggestion... Print lots of tiny target faces on a sheet of A4, then only shoot one arrow at each and move the face regularly. Helps extend the life of whatever boss you use.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
If funds permit just fix a second target behind the first. I use a 60 x 60 behind my 90 x 90 because it was what I had around. It worked perfectly.

malbro

Instinctive Archer
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
If funds permit just fix a second target behind the first. I use a 60 x 60 behind my 90 x 90 because it was what I had around. It worked perfectly.
I use two targets giving 170mm of com pressed foam depth but my small diameter carbon arrows still penetrate all the way using a 35# recurve a 10 yards. I added a net behind as a precaution. Larger diameter ones are OK at 170mm.

gcogger

<p>
I use two targets giving 170mm of com pressed foam depth but my small diameter carbon arrows still penetrate all the way using a 35# recurve a 10 yards. I added a net behind as a precaution. Larger diameter ones are OK at 170mm.
I have something similar (2 cheap ebay foam targets), and I found the arrows go all the way through. I've cut up a large cardboard box and turned it into a 'sandwich', with some old scrap fabric between the 2 foam pieces - an old curtain and a double sheet! This has stopped the arrows penetrating and, as a side benefit, made it much easier to pull the arrows out.</p>