Trouble locating a cable guard

Whytewolf

Hi all,
I've recently acquired an ArmeX Olympic compound bow without a cable guard/rod. I've looked about but haven't managed to find anywhere UK based to get one from. I have checked the ArmeX site but it appears that it is no longer maintained and there is no answer from the contact number on there.

If anyone knows where I can pick one up from, you'd really be helping me out.

Cheers
~Pete~

(I have found some 3/8" rods that might fit the bow, but ideally I'm after one that was made for it. Also most of the ones I've found either don't ship to the UK, or shipping costs a lot more than the item itself does)

Brum2010

I suspect it's because cable slider bars aren't a particularly common thing to replace (Especially stock ones). When I needed to replace mine on my reflex (I had an aluminium one snap on me on an old bow) I simply went back to the place that I bought it from and they sorted me with a new one. The only thing I can think of where a bar is actually sold are the aftermarket slider bars, such as tilt tamer or the arctec one. These are probably not what you're looking for, though.

Also, Armex aren't what I'd call a mainstream brand of bow. I certainly have never come across one, nor would it occur to me to mention them if I was asked about buying a compound. It is very likely that people don't, in fact, know where you can get one.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have some bits and pieces of cable guards. Have you any ideas what way it fits into the riser?
For example, some have a bushing glued in and the rod is bent and fits into a hole in the bushing. There is a locking screw in the bush that tightens the rod so the bend can adjust the distance of the cables from the string line. If the bits will fit you are welcome to them.

Whytewolf

Thanks Brum2010 I was a little surprised that no-one replied with a "sorry can't help you", at least now I know it's going to be a B&Q job :) Geoff, it's one of the 'nut with two allen key screws' fittings. The nut is still there it's literally just the rod that's missing. It sounds like the one you're describing only that bushing isn't glued into the riser it is screwed in (magnesium alloy riser). If you have a rod thats 3/8" diameter, 7 or 8 inches long, that'd be great. :)

Thanks for the replies guys.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have a bar, if you have the Allen screws it should work so long as the rod diameter is small enough to entre the nut fitting. It is stainless steel.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have two of the rods. Both have the normal double bend.
One is 10" long from a point that would be flush with the riser. It is a single piece so comes with a tapped end and nut shaped section so it just needs screwing into the riser. The threaded end is the same thread as the long rod.
The other is just a rod and is 9" long from end to end and 3/8" diameter. However, I modified that one so the straight section that the slider runs along is nylon, the rest is stainless steel.

Whytewolf

Geoff, the 9" rod sounds ideal. Anything you'd like in return? On a side note, did you ever shoot for the Bowmen of Lychett?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
All I need is an address, thanks.
I never shot for Bowmen of Lychett but did attend their clouts and reverse nationals and Yorks. I shot for Bournemouth Archey Club, Dorset Civil Service AC and now shoot for Canford Magna Bowmen. Sounds like three clubs, but in truth it is one club. Rather like a family of four where children start up in their own homes eventually.