Try a different style?

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
With my weird, recurring shoulder/back issue my compound bow has remained almost unused for a few months now. Just as I’d spent £80 on a new rest too! I’m not sure I want the £200ish option of lighter limbs but I’m wondering if I could try something like a cheap AFB until I’m back to feeling confident using my Origin (that might never happen); I’m drawing okay but there’s just a niggle there that’s stopping me just getting on with it.
Is this a good idea or daft? I’d quite like to try a “simple” bow anyway so a bells and whistles recurve isn’t really appropriate.

Merlin has some for under £100 which look okay; what would be really handy is if I could use my current arrows (Easton Powerflights and ACGs) but I’m thinking they might be too stiff and too short?

I’ve stayed with NFAS, I’ve rejoined our club but I’m a bit stuck. I’ve always had a slightly odd nervousness about my Mybo after a disastrous experience with hand held releases; this shoulder niggle isn’t helping. However I also do a lot of other stuff and REALLY don’t want to take myself out of action doing archery for those sports.

Riceburner

With my weird, recurring shoulder/back issue my compound bow has remained almost unused for a few months now. Just as I’d spent £80 on a new rest too! I’m not sure I want the £200ish option of lighter limbs but I’m wondering if I could try something like a cheap AFB until I’m back to feeling confident using my Origin (that might never happen); I’m drawing okay but there’s just a niggle there that’s stopping me just getting on with it.
Is this a good idea or daft? I’d quite like to try a “simple” bow anyway so a bells and whistles recurve isn’t really appropriate.

Merlin has some for under £100 which look okay; what would be really handy is if I could use my current arrows (Easton Powerflights and ACGs) but I’m thinking they might be too stiff and too short?

I’ve stayed with NFAS, I’ve rejoined our club but I’m a bit stuck. I’ve always had a slightly odd nervousness about my Mybo after a disastrous experience with hand held releases; this shoulder niggle isn’t helping. However I also do a lot of other stuff and REALLY don’t want to take myself out of action doing archery for those sports.
Lightweight Samick SKB or Kaya KTB or similar horsebow?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes definitely. A different draw cycle will engage different sets of muscles at different points so worth a go. *Go lower poundage* firstly you'll find your holding weight a surprise. Secondly it's a stopgap and a lighter bow is easier to sell on than a heavy one. And watch for the length - your DL will increase, so you might need a longer bow than you think.

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
An AFB would be a good choice. With their longer length they tend to have a much easier draw cycle than the equivalent poundage recurve, for NFAS though you will need to shoot feather fletched wooden arrows.

4d4m

I'd go with an AFB, there's a big selection with many around or under £100. They usually "just work" and the shelf makes them easier to shoot than more traditional bows. Due to their length they tend to be smooth to draw, they cope with all manner of draw lengths easily and are usually very forgiving. Unbraced they tend to be a straight stick like longbows so they're very easy to store (in a corner, in a wardrobe, under a bed). As most are fibreglass backed, they are more robust than full wood bows.

Horsebows are fun but are a bit harder to shoot (well) as they are shorter and don't usually have a shelf. They favour thumb draw as finger pinch is an issue using med draw. Also, in the case of traditional styled ones like the Kaya, they can be awkward to string as unbraced they are a C shape so you can't use a conventional stringer. The SKB however is much more conventional in that sense.

You'll probably need a set of arrows to suit. Compound arrows are likely to be way too stiff, but a built set of woodies shouldn't break the bank. Also if you don't have other finger shot bows you'll probably want a tab or glove unless you have finger pads of rhino hide.

Might be a stopgap but I suspect you might want to hang on to it ;)
IMHO every archer needs at least one AFB in their collection!

chrisgas

Supporter
Supporter
I have recently started shooting a variety of bows at 30m, none great but I find shooting compound is harder to keep good form, as shot sequence and holding form once you have reached the valley is easily lost, whereas with AFB and horse bow etc. I have a more defined shot sequence and no valley to lull me into a false sense of security. I guess it may be that I have only been shooting compound for a month or so and require to be more disciplined through the latter stages. Best of luck with your choice of bow and enjoy a different style.