UK custom string needed ?

Sunbeam

Hello,

Can anybody recommend a good string maker in the UK that can make a quality custom non fastflight string.
I've tried to use two so far, but one seems very unprofessional and the other will not reply to any of my emails after the first "yes I can make it" reply.
I tried to get a string made in my local archer shop, but they didn't have the colours I wanted.

Thanks.

malbro

Instinctive Archer
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Hello,

Can anybody recommend a good string maker in the UK that can make a quality custom non fastflight string.
I've tried to use two so far, but one seems very unprofessional and the other will not reply to any of my emails after the first "yes I can make it" reply.
I tried to get a string made in my local archer shop, but they didn't have the colours I wanted.

Thanks.
Have you tried Jim Grizzly (Grizzly Strings), he made some strings for me to match the colour scheme of a Timber Creek Diamondback Supreme, green, brown and cream

Sunbeam

Hi,

I have tried to talk to him but he is not responding to my emails. He did reply to my first one to say he can make a string, but after that, nothing. I have sent multiple mails with all the info I can give, but no replies at all. Pity really, as I he made me a string 18 months ago and It's fantastic. it was a bit of a fight back then to get him to talk and actually deliver the goods.

I don't know if these companies realise how frustrating it is to a customer when they stop talking! I am a returning customer, and would continue to return and spend money, but I can't if they ignore.

malbro

Instinctive Archer
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Hi,

I have tried to talk to him but he is not responding to my emails. He did reply to my first one to say he can make a string, but after that, nothing. I have sent multiple mails with all the info I can give, but no replies at all. Pity really, as I he made me a string 18 months ago and It's fantastic. it was a bit of a fight back then to get him to talk and actually deliver the goods.
OK, I found he was a bit slow but did reply to my emails, I am afraid I can't be of help then as the only other person (Andy Soars) who has made strings for me only does them for the Blackbrook bows he made.

Kerf

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Hello,

Thanks.
Chris Evans at evansperformancebowstrings.co.uk will make you pretty much whatever you want. Email him with your specific requirements. I’ve been using his strings for years - never let me down. Good luck.

Sunbeam

Chris Evans at evansperformancebowstrings.co.uk will make you pretty much whatever you want. Email him with your specific requirements. I’ve been using his strings for years - never let me down. Good luck.
Great, thank you, I'll send them an email :)

Edit,
P.S, just been on their site and there is no email, address or contact number. Guess they don't want comms only net sales?

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I and friends have bought strings from the guy below on ebay. He will make F/F or non F/F as requested an to any length you require.
His communication is excellent. I strongly recommend him.

I found Grizzly String to be very uncommunicative although his strings are good.

ArcheryFox

I can heartily recommend Reign, which I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned already.
Though recognised for compound and recurve strings I have a friend who shoots a traditional Ragim Black Bear/Bear Grizzly who got in touch with him. He was great at listening to the custom requirements, used materials appropriate to the traditional bow, and sent a couple of sample strings free of charge (IIRC) to test out to see what was best. It was an endless loop string (in case you are particularly set on flemish for some reason).

Quality always great, and I have always found Simon communicative through email and especially facebook.

Torkijo

Hello,

Thanks.

I've used Get Twisted on Ebay a few times and been impressed each time - both were custom sized - GET TWISTED BOW STRINGS | eBay Stores

Michael Burrows

AIUK Saviour
Hello,

Thanks.
Reign strings, through Merlin archery. They will make anything you want. For instance I had a 72" string made with X99 with Halo serving for the same price

Sunbeam

Well this has been quite a journey.
I've now got a list of manufactures that won't or can't make this simple string.

I have emailed you [email protected] :)
You and Reign are my only hope as Princess Leia would say :-D

All others are a no, sadly.

Sunbeam

That's weird that you're struggling to get a 60" dacron string made.
Yes it is, I never imagined it would be so hard, most just say no, some say they don't have the colours I want, some are just very unprofessional and talk to me like rubbish, some say yes, then totally ignore me. If I wanted a fastflight, I'd have no problems, it seems to be the non-fastflight that's the problem, nobody seems to stock the material needed for a quality string.

[email protected] has said he can do exactly what we want and his price is fair, so a great result, thank you all :)

Whitehart

That's weird that you're struggling to get a 60" dacron string made.
Dacron is in very short supply at the moment Brownell have disappeared so it is down to BCY 55 and the colours available in Europe are really limited to a few odd ones - it is not a popular string material. Probably 1 in 40 of the strings I make are Dacron and the choice at the moment is Black as all I have is 1 x 1lb spool and that's all I could get and even that was over 6 months ago nothing available now.

4d4m

Dacron is in very short supply at the moment Brownell have disappeared so it is down to BCY 55 and the colours available in Europe are really limited to a few odd ones - it is not a popular string material. Probably 1 in 40 of the strings I make are Dacron and the choice at the moment is Black as all I have is 1 x 1lb spool and that's all I could get and even that was over 6 months ago nothing available now.
That's weird but does explain things a bit. I just started dabbling in bowmaking so bought some B55 to make strings, and the only colours I could get were black, white and tan.