USA 136 Nationals 2020

Whitehart

What am I missing, a country that in general does not seem bothered about this virus, has loads of cases a President treating himself with malaria drugs, yet World Records are being smashed on a regular basis this week, whilst the rest of us are limited to a few hours a week and competitions are not even on the horizon.

Last edited:

Bandit

They take archery way more seriously hence they are rather good at it. Archery to the average person in the UK has very little respect or interest

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
They take archery way more seriously hence they are rather good at it. Archery to the average person in the UK has very little respect or interest
Yes, I agree with that. It seems that archery is viewed as " playing " rather than a sport. Playing as in what children do with bows and arrows and such like.

Bandit

Yes, I agree with that. It seems that archery is viewed as " playing " rather than a sport. Playing as in what children do with bows and arrows and such like.
Yeah kind of a novelty not to be taken seriously. Throw in the reference to Robin Hood and “I did that at centre parks and was really good “ 😕

Stretch

Not sure I agree. Target Archery is a red haired step child in the US as well. And to my eye it looks like a huge drop in participation.

This is why they still have a Nationals 2020:Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S.

Basically they are just allowing it to spread, making a huge number of people ill and staggering number of people dead.

And we don’t... so much: Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK

So initially we also ballsed it up and then made some effort to get it under control. Overall our numbers per 100,000 aren’t much better but they are worlds apart if you look at the current state.

Lockdown is boring but it keeps people alive - especially vulnerable people.

Although, the logic that you can go to the pub, get plastered and completely forget anything in the world is a problem seems more likely to spread the virus than a bunch of people outside occasionally getting inside 2m of each other. On those grounds the risk taking is being aligned to GDP/markets etc.

So it all comes down to whether your country has an idiot or a psychotic for a leader.

Stretch

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
Looking at the actual results, I see that the men's winner in barebow, John Demmer, had an arrow average over the 144 arrow, double 720 50m shoot. of exactly 9!

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Looking at the actual results, I see that the men's winner in barebow, John Demmer, had an arrow average over the 144 arrow, double 720 50m shoot. of exactly 9!
Yehh... I saw that. I was kinda hoping the record would stay around the 629 until I could do some real shooting. I shot a 636 a couple of weeks ago and a 641 yesterday. Until I saw those results I was thinking I was doing okay :(

Even though I think archery at 2m is way safer than going to the pub, I am still going to put my family before my shooting. The two are just so far apart in terms of priority.

JohnK

I caught up on the Facebook livestream of the gold medal matches this morning. Lots of hugs and handshakes, and a coach forgetting that his nose was connected to his lungs going by the way he wore his mask...

It's good to see people shooting, but as others have already said, we really are going to need a phrase to replace "avoid it like the plague" because it turns out we're really bad at that as a species.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
If you follow Bowjunky you'll have seen there have been three of four IBO 3D shoots this summer, no sign of social distancing or masks, with archers from around the country attending... there have also been a couple Total Archery shoots.

But for a number of archers this is basically their job. Contingency monies and prize funds are how they pay the bills and there is no furlough scheme in the US.

The problems with a country that hasn't got a decent social security net, a disorganised and uncaring administration, and a health system that discourages (cost) people from getting treatment/taking time off work...

LAC Mark

If you follow Bowjunky you'll have seen there have been three of four IBO 3D shoots this summer, no sign of social distancing or masks, with archers from around the country attending... there have also been a couple Total Archery shoots.

But for a number of archers this is basically their job. Contingency monies and prize funds are how they pay the bills and there is no furlough scheme in the US.

The problems with a country that hasn't got a decent social security net, a disorganised and uncaring administration, and a health system that discourages (cost) people from getting treatment/taking time off work...
Maybe if archery in the UK had prise funds etc. it would be taken more seriously, as it is the only monetary prise in the UK is the Kings of Archery tournament.
I must enter that one year :unsure:

ArcheryFox

The only monetary prise in the UK is the Kings of Archery tournament.
Don't forget the 3DA series, which had an event at Long Eaton the weekend just gone, and has 2 more planned before the end of the year.
They do have additional distancing and safety measures applied, however.

As most have already said, I will be away from anything until I feel that it can be run safely for myself, the other competitors, my family, and anyone else I may contact.
The tournament guidance that came out from AGB recently was shambolic and I don't see myself at a target event until at least next summer.
I am, however, thinking of booking in to the EFAA 'Not the Nationals' event in September in a group with two other members from my club.

Last edited:

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Most highly paid sportspeople have tv coverage of their sport on a regular and frequent basis. I think that equates to spectators wanting to get seriously involved in watching and following as things develop.
Archery would have to move away from the sorts of shooting we see club archers doing, in order to generate such a following on such a scale.
Kicking a ball into an enclosed area, with a goalkeeper to even things up a bit, is exciting. Watching a series of penalty kicks into a very small goal area and no keeper wouldn't attract much attention. Archery is the equivalent of taking repeated penalties.

Bandit

[QUOTE="ArcheryFox, post: 812798, member: 30481"

As most have already said, I will be away from anything until I feel that it can be run safely for myself, the other competitors, my family, and anyone else I may contact.
[/QUOTE]

The chance of catching Covid outside in a field is very slim. If they keep this BS up there won’t be any tournaments...ever

ArcheryFox

The chance of catching Covid outside in a field is very slim. If they keep this BS up there won’t be any tournaments...ever
Yeah, I have no issues with day-to-day shooting at my target club (we finally got a field and moved targets today!!), my field club, and in a field event with people I know. My main point of wariness is shooting in close proximity to people I do not know and can't immediately trust.

Like everything with emerging from lockdown, once things are given the green light to start different people will have their own thresholds as to when they feel safe. I am treating everything on a case-by-case basis.
Field events with a designated start time for a group I know I see as barely more risky than walking around local woodland.
A target event sharing a single boss with unknown people I'm not quite so comfortable.

Add on to this bizarre requirements like one person being designated to disinfect every competitor's arrows between ends and being limited to 30 bodies on the field (including judges and field party) and it's looking like too much hassle to run outdoor target events anyway. WTF AGB?
It surprised me to learn from a local club that have relocated to a rugby ground that they regularly witness games of full contact rugby with more than 30 people on an adjacent pitch. How are rugby's NGB and AGB issuing such different guidelines!? (fwiw I think we should be somewhere between the two).

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Yeah, I have no issues with day-to-day shooting at my target club...
I won't shoot unless I am alone on a target. I do spend much of my time walking back from the targets on a diagonal across the field as every now and then someone wants to come across to talk to me. I have learnt who in the club understands distancing and who doesn't :)

Bandit

Yeah, I have no issues with day-to-day shooting at my target club (we finally got a field and moved targets today!!), my field club, and in a field event with people I know. My main point of wariness is shooting in close proximity to people I do not know and can't immediately trust.

Like everything with emerging from lockdown, once things are given the green light to start different people will have their own thresholds as to when they feel safe. I am treating everything on a case-by-case basis.
Field events with a designated start time for a group I know I see as barely more risky than walking around local woodland.
A target event sharing a single boss with unknown people I'm not quite so comfortable.

Add on to this bizarre requirements like one person being designated to disinfect every competitor's arrows between ends and being limited to 30 bodies on the field (including judges and field party) and it's looking like too much hassle to run outdoor target events anyway. WTF AGB?
It surprised me to learn from a local club that have relocated to a rugby ground that they regularly witness games of full contact rugby with more than 30 people on an adjacent pitch. How are rugby's NGB and AGB issuing such different guidelines!? (fwiw I think we should be somewhere between the two).
Check out all the recent riots across the globe and football celebrations etc. I see no evidence these had any effect on Covid numbers. People need the freedom to do what THEY consider safe for them.

If people feel vulnerable to Covid do what you need to do, I for one don’t and want to get on with life. Covid will never go away and don’t be fooled with the vaccine BS. It’s a flu like cold. No one has found a vaccine for those yet have they. It will mutate just like the flu does every year.

Bandit

I won't shoot unless I am alone on a target. I do spend much of my time walking back from the targets on a diagonal across the field as every now and then someone wants to come across to talk to me. I have learnt who in the club understands distancing and who doesn't :)
What will you do next season and the one after that?

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
What will you do next season and the one after that?
I will keep doing what I'm doing as long as I can. Shooting when it's not busy. My wife has no immune system at the moment so even if I have to stop shooting it's a no-brainer. Re vaccines, the virus seems to be a slow mutating virus which means there is agood chance a vaccine will work. At the moment somewhare between Flu and Measles. Russia are about to do efficacy testing on their whole country. We do have vaccines for Flu which work reasonably well. We have no vaccine for Corona viruses as this is the first Corona virus since Sars that can really do any damage and the Sars faded away before enough money was available for efficacy testing of the Texas vaccine and no one will spend money on a vaccine for a cold. But anti virals are also being developed. I think there is hope. We don't need to irradicate it, just moderate its effects.
Besides, my visualisation is now first class. I've already won 2 nationals and come second at the 136th US Nationals qualifying rounds, although I'm not so good in the rain :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Bandit

I guess it depends how accurate the information is. I feel the death toll due to social and economic issues will be far greater. I don’t do flu vaccines. Flu vaccine are a best guess at best and useless for healthy people imho. I understand your caution though regarding your wife. I would do the very same 👍