Use of a shooting stool.

fbirder

Over the last 18 months I've had lots of health problems due to various autoimmune diseases. One of them is neuropathy that really screws with my balance. That means my groups are terrible as I wobble quite a bit when shooting.

I'm a lot more stable when seated (it's a lack of reflexes in my legs that causes the problem) so I was wondering what the rules were regarding the use of a shooting stool. And what sort of stool would be best? Do I need to visit various local pubs to check out bar stools (please say yes)?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I remember years ago seeing an archer using a shooting stool. I am pretty sure he had both feet on the ground, but that may have been his choice. It seemed to me, from watching him, that the stool was there to make the third leg of a tripod, where his own two legs were the others. By sitting on the stool with his feet on the ground, it seemed the "bum on seat" gave him the balance, by stabilising his upper body. His feet on the ground meant his legs were still in use as supports but not in the way the reflexes are needed for standing on two legs. It's a similar thing to the way some people stand against a wall with one knee bent, foot a short way up the wall, and one foot on the ground. The upper body rests on the wall and one leg stops them sliding down to the floor.
Visiting pubs will be a learning curve, so go ahead. I think their stools are too tall so the feet don't easily reach the ground. But the fun will be in trying all the pubs till you find one with stools you can use.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I have a memory (but it may be out of date) that using a stool technically requires that both feet be off the ground, to avoid getting an advantage in stability. I'd be interested to know if that's changed.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Ideally you need a stool to fit you.
It must not have a back, and should be more of a bottom prop that a seat. Your feet should take most of your weight. I think there's a proper description in the AGB rules.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
The Rules of Shooting just say:

Shooting, except in the case of permanently or semi-permanently disabled archers, shall be from an unsupported standing position, placing one foot on each side of the shooting line or with both feet on the shooting line.
So if you're disabled, you can use whatever you need to. That may be a shooting stick, a tripod stool, a wheelchair, or whatever.

A former member of our club who had lower limb paralysis tried a shooting stick, but it wasn't stable enough. He then had a very nice stool made for him by a charity:

Attachments

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Definitely changed from what I remember then. I can recall pictures of what was acceptable and some sort of text about how a wheelchair could be used or a chair/stool, but only so long as the feet were off the ground.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
it's a properly supported stool, which if I recall, she pegged the feet down to keep it secure

annoyingly, I'm sure I know someone (through someone else) who makes shooting stools but can I recall who...??

bethany

"A stool of any type may be used provided it subscribes to the accepted principle and meaning of the word stool. No part of the stool may support the bow arm while shooting; No part of the stool may be in contact with the trunk of the athlete. (This means the athlete cannot lean against the back of the stool); The area of contact with the ground, framed by the legs of the stool and the feet of the athlete shall not exceed the width of 60cm x 80cm along the shooting line"

Copied from my AGB classification card - hope it helps :)