Used Hoyt Horizon or New Hoyt Xact?

L.M

Hi! So I was about to go for the Hoyt Xact, but coincidentally found a used Hoyt Horizon in my area with roughly half the price of the Xact. I haven't done a lot of research about the Horizon, so can you give me your feedback on it? If the money is not a big issue, should I save it and go for the used, or in terms of features the Xact is better? And should I usually go for a used bow or not? I was momentarily considering it, but the one I'll be buying from already purchased it used, so it would be used on used. I'm no expert, but even though his use of the bow is quite good, the fact that it was used by somebody before got me skittish. So should I bother and go give it a look, or just go for the new?

(LH, short, intermediate)

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
As long as its not banged about, is straight and has all the locking nuts etc, I would buy the second hand one till you are mote experienced and know exactly what you want.

nbuuifx

I've used a used Hoyt Horizon for the last 5 or 6 years and it has been great. I had an issue with the limb pocket adjusters coming loose, but then found out by comparing with another one that it was supposed to have double grub screws in each pocket. I had to track down what size thread they were and bought a pack of grub screws and added a second to each adjuster and never had an issue again. Seriously in the last 3 years since inserting them, I've never had to touch them again.

It isn't the fanciest riser but I'd say it surpasses my ability - to give you an idea I've shot in various competitions with it and got my highest Portsmouth score of 579 with it.

ThomVis

Hoyt Horizon is missing the extra 5/16" threaded holes near the limb pockets compared to the Xact, might you need them for extra stabilizers/weights.
And my last risers are all 2nd hand.

nbuuifx

Hoyt Horizon is missing the extra 5/16" threaded holes near the limb pockets compared to the Xact, might you need them for extra stabilizers/weights.
And my last risers are all 2nd hand.
Yes, that's correct. The horizon doesn't have those. Not that I've ever missed them though.