UUKHA formula adapter - warning!!!

Hi folks, - tale of woe.........

Just trying out my new VX1000 x curves with the formula adapter in my new Prodigy riser. Shot around 6 Dozen, yesterday but went to the field for a proper test this morning.

On the second shot - BANG! - at full draw the bow failed - top-limb hitting my forehead just above my left eye - hard!!! - a fair bit of blood but no real harm done. The limbs went flying!

It gave my mate a bit of a shock - he was at full draw too.

On inspection, even though I had fully tightened the screws the top limb detent screw had worked itself loose - and the limb and adapter had separated - the other limb came out in sympathy.

The detent was completely missing - later found after 20 mins searching with a metal detector - had to use a spare shibuya button spring on the detent to continue shooting.

The brand-new limbs and adapters were OK just a little scratched - cosmetic only - as is my brand new riser - not happy!! :thumbsdow

But the lack of damage is testament to how robust the limb construction is.

I checked the other limb screws and found two others that had vibrated loose slightly and needed re-tightening. That's 3 out of 4.

Now I know I had tightened them all down well - I have been around many bows for 35 years and know what I am doing (mostly).

Anyway I added some loctite thread-lock since these are not items you would normally separate - so a semi permanent fix is OK - and I will be checking them every few shots for a bit.

just thought people should know - confidence in my kit has taken a dent.

for the record these are the best feeling limbs I have ever shot - in the hand that is, and not in the head!

cheers

Al

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Hope you are ok! Bet you've got a headache.

Sorry to tell you, just because you can't see any damage doesn't mean they haven't been harmed. And may invalidate your warranty (I'm not sure what Uukha's warranty states). They may fail in a month or a year and it will almost certainly be down to what is effectively a dry fire. My suggestion would be to let your retailer check them over, just in case, and just expect the unexpected.

ZolcsiBB

As you write both are brand new, I just don't really understand your decision going Formula with Uukha limbs. Both are excellent products, but there are other combinations that work perfectly out of the box without any additional adapters. For example, there are ILF (/Grand Prix) Hoyt risers. (GMX, the new Epik, etc.) The Epik has a very similar design to the Formula risers.

What is the idea behind this assembly?

sithspit

I had mine come loose also but not the flying apart thing you had. I shot them indoor for a round and then checked them and had to tighten them quite a bit.That was 12 months ago and they have not needed tightening again after checking them.
Also I sorted out my spine problem last night top limb was a shims worth out which was causing all my problems so you where right to take things back to basics. I had checked all that months ago when I first put it together and it was bang on alignment straight off the bat. Once I re tightened the adaptor it might have set it out of alignment?
Hope your OK

Last edited:
Hi Mr Z - Yes I agonised over this - but I have another formula riser - and a couple of sets of decent Hoyt formula limbs - not 100% if the UUKHA limbs would work for me - so decided to stick with compatibility as the decision maker

cheers

I had mine come loose also but not the flying apart thing you had. I shot them indoor for a round and then checked them and had to tighten them quite a bit.That was 12 months ago and they have not needed tightening again after checking them.
Also I sorted out my spine problem last night top limb was a shims worth out which was causing all my problems so you where right to take things back to basics. I had checked all that months ago when I first put it together and it was bang on alignment straight off the bat. Once I re tightened the adaptor it might have set it out of alignment?
Hope your OK
you were lucky there Mr S - I had no hint or indication things were slipping - prolly cos I was shooting at indoor distances - so the gradual variation did not show up - groups were fine - looks like its an issue people should be aware of - lovely limbs tho and very worth a little effort to set up right (and safe)

Great news on the spine - well done and glad it all worked out - it's a pain - but sometimes going back to basics is the best option - good shootin!

ZolcsiBB

Maybe it would be a good idea to secure the thread with breakable Loctite? :)

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk