(Very) light draw weight limbs - best quality available?

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
My shoulder problems continue, such that if I wish to keep shooting, I need to stay in the very low weights. If you have recent experience of limbs in the area of 24# / 26# marked - do you have a view on what are the best quality limbs available in that bracket, and why? Or put another way, are there any that you would avoid?

I've used Samick Privilege's for some recuperation, and whilst I rate them for the money, the very light (22#) ones are extremely short on lateral stiffness. I have a pair of SF SHC (the old dark grey ones) at 24# that are very much better and perform well. Do you think there might be anything better out there? What do people think of the SF Elite's? Not realistically going to be shooting long distances, but don't see any reason to compromise quality.

Would welcome hearing your experiences.

TIA

carl7

Sorry about your shoulder problem, I have a sensitive shoulder too from an old accident, have to take it easy in things like increasing draw weight by being sure to warm up fully and small increases in draw weight like one-two pounds at a time.

Even though I've got my draw weight up quite well, I still regularly use my beginning 24# limbs (the SF Axioms) for working on the form and on recoup days with a bag target. I haven't tried any of the more expensive limbs, still using wood/glass limbs (SF Premium) and am quite happy with them.

Your question on which better limbs to get is a real tough one to answer, limb feel is so personal, all I can say is most of the top limbs are made in low poundage's like 20-22 on up. I guess the best way is to try them.

Alun

We had the same issue for my wife. She has to stay at light weights (low 20s), so we wanted as much efficiency from that as possible. She has Border Hex6-H limbs (on a Black Douglas riser) which she is very happy with. Not tried Uukha, and W&W don't go below 28lb so the Inno EX limbs are out.

Tuck

I had a similar issue returning to shooting a year ago, used 24# Samick Vision Carbon Wood limbs, pretty good.

Hoyt Carbon 720's and Quattros go down to 22#, so pick your quality. Border Archery will make pretty much any spec asked.

carl7

I'll always keep shooting the low poundage bow in addition to the higher poundage one so thinking of getting better limbs for it also. I shoot 5-6 days a week and shooting max poundage all those days kind of starts to wear on my old joints. Shooting 26# one or two days is a nice change of pace.

Also with the sight pulled in a bit, carbons, and the high shelf anchor, 26# makes it to 70m no problem.

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Thanks for the input so far. I'm lucky enough to have a pair of Border TXBs that run out at just on 27# so they're just over my sustainable limit for oly recurve - although they work out very nicely for a bit of barebow. I hadn't immediately thought of Uukha, but there does seem to be an interesting range, so some possibilities there.

A lot of the Win&Win / Kaya "top end" limbs seem to start around the 28# or more (understandably as demand for less must be pretty low), although Hoyt Quattro are listed in lower. Sadly, the prices there are eye-wateringly high and I'm not convinced I could justify that cost (even to myself using archer logic!)

Uukh and MK seems to be possibilities - anyone using Ex1's? - anyone using Inpers?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I'd add another vote for Border, and they will make you just about any length and any poundage. For maximum speed you have to be looking at super recurves - there are 4 manufacturers making them, with Border leading the R+D, and the speeds are leaving conventional limbs for dead.
I've not shot MK limbs, but did have an MK riser, and, after all the hype, was disappointed. From a quality point of view it was ok and no more.

buzz lite beer

SF, in both Elite and Elite+ Offer good performance/quality against price and are available down to 24lb in medium length or 22lb in short

Ar-Pe-Lo

I shooting Elite + and uukha EX1 (on much higher weight thou) and both are quality limbs, I would choose Elite+ specialy at their discount price (+- ?200). If you want maximum speed, only border Hex-6 is the option.

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
we have made some special limbs, 19lbs at 29" 68" limbs before. but arrow spines are touchy subject down that low.

It was an elderly gent that wanted them.
Thanks Sid - I have just had a significant birthday, but I think my shoulder has had about 20 more ;-)

True enough, arrow spine is a very interesting exercise down here in the low weights (although at least I don't have the additional challenge of a long draw length to worry about) , but very rewarding when you get it right. Surprising what performance you can get out to 70m, at least in still air.

BorderBows

Thanks Sid - I have just had a significant birthday, but I think my shoulder has had about 20 more ;-)

True enough, arrow spine is a very interesting exercise down here in the low weights (although at least I don't have the additional challenge of a long draw length to worry about) , but very rewarding when you get it right. Surprising what performance you can get out to 70m, at least in still air.
we can merely play with physics, but we cant beat it.
we have produced our fastest bow yet, it has about 25% more stored energy than a conventional limb. but even 25% more than very little still posses a problem.
at 28" we are nocking on the door of 200fps for 10GPP. so that's a 400 grain arrow from a 40lbs bow, or 500 grain arrow from a 50lbs bow.
200fps from 9gpp is a fast bow. 200fps from 8gpp is kinda average.

but its not ready for ILF or target.

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
we can merely play with physics, but we cant beat it.......

200fps from 9gpp is a fast bow. 200fps from 8gpp is kinda average.
Aye, that is the catch of course. 9gpp is (give or take) what you tend to get with matched arrows in the 24# ballpark. As draw weights go up you can get down to 8gpp, or at Oly competition weights, around 7 (and a bit).... The rate of weight increase on the "matched" arrows lags behind bow weight increase.

Even so, 25% :D Nice