Victory VAP points in Easton ACEs

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Anyone tried fitting Victory VAP points in Easton ACE arrows? They appear to be spec'd correctly at 0.166" internal and .215 external. I like the look and they are £10.00 cheaper than ACE points.

ArcheryFox

Not shot, but I own an old ACE (670) and some spare VAP points so just given it a go for you.

Took a fair bit of effort to push the VAP point in (spec'd at .166 but there are always tolerances). Admittedly there would have been some old hot melt in there, but it took a bit more effort than I would be comfortable with for the arrow's safety.

In addition to this the VAP point head is significantly wider than the shaft (see image). Vernier callipers put it at 0.5mm wider (diameter) than the shaft.
This has caused me issues in the past with snagging in targets when pulling leading to the front of arrows cracking (in other models).

Finally the VAP points feel quite long compared to the A/C/E points (image shows 90grn A/C/E vs 120grn VAP). A long shank in a barrelled shaft might be something of a concern depending on your uses (se the argument for tungsten in X10s...). Note also how the break off section in the new style VAP points is a single 20grn piece giving you less flexibility than the two 10grn sections on Easton points.

I love my VAPs and would encourage considering them (or perhaps VXTs for RC ~£60 cheaper per doz.) instead of A/C/Es, but in relation to your question FWIW I would stick with the A/C/E points - when buying a set of shafts £10 is relatively small.

Last edited:

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Thanks AF, that's really useful. I suspected they would fit but the shoulder is an issue. I don't mind long shanks as I have shot ArrowSmith points for a long time on Protours and never had a problem except they make the arrow perform stiffer. I can't see the pictures, they might be too large.
I would have tried the VAP shafts by now, maybe in preference to C1s, if I could shoot all carbon arrows.:mad:

ArcheryFox

No problem.
I have tried to shrink the images down so hopefully they appear now...

if I could shoot all carbon arrows.:mad:
Aaahhhhh yes, that old chestnut - I use them for field since I too am bound to A/C at my target club.
We had a good discussion on VAPS over in the field forum recently.