Victory VAP Target arrows

Kerf

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Greetings archers. I’m doing some research for a newbie barebow archer at the Club regarding his first set of arrows.
He’ll be shooting 32lb limbs with a 29 inch draw and is fairly budget minded.
I might have steered him towards some Easton ACCs before they discontinued them and can’t find anywhere in the net at the moment.
The Easton Procomp seem to be comparable but at just a few quid short of £200 they might be a bit much for him.
So, do you guys know anything about the Victory VAP Target family of arrows? The VAP Target Sport run at about £90 for a dozen and the Victory website says they’re good for beginners and intermediate archers. I’ve always shot Easton so know nothing about Victory.
He’ll be pulling about 33lbs with his draw length. On the Victory shaft selector I’ve selected 36lbs for his bow weight to future proof him for a couple of seasons. The shaft selector recommends a .700 spine for a full length 31 inch shaft. Does this seem right?
For comparison the Easton chart recommends a 30” Procomp spine of .570. That seems a way off the Victory chart.
The other option for him price wise might be the Easton Avance but I can’t find a spine chart for them, even on Easton’s own website..
Your help would be much appreciated.

tabashir

Supporter
Supporter
The main reason that they are less commonly seen is that are that they are full carbon (I think) rather than alum/carbon/composite.

Whilst this likely produces a great arrow, there are a lot of clubs that cannot use them due to them being less detectable when buried in the grass. If you don't have this issue at your field then he may be fine, but could still hit the issue when he starts to shoot any comps at other clubs.

.700 for 31" shaft @33lbs seems a little weak. I would have guessed somewhere around the .600 for that (based on Easton calcs) but then the charts are only a guide and the only real way to tell is to test them. That's another reason to stick with Easton, so many folks use them that it's often possible to borrow some to try before you buy.

Would be interested in how you get on if you do go with them though.

BrianM

As already posted, they are full carbon arrows and maybe that's why you've not seen so many being used. I don't know if it's a genuine advantage or just marketing but they claim batches are spine aligned with a neat line on the shaft. I've tried to fletch mine identically and whether it's the alignment or just luck, I feel that any poor grouping is down to me rather than the arrow.

I tried them coming from Carbon One (550) and quite like them although I've not tried the Target Sport. I've used the VAP Gamer & Elite with point weights from 100-120 & 500-600 spines. Personally I like them and tend to get slightly better sight marks with them than the C1 550's.

I've attached the arrow chart I've used, I can't remember where I got it but it's worked fine at my arrow length (just under 30"). I think you'd need 600 at 36lbs OTF. victory-vap-arrow-guide-vap.jpg

Kerf

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
The main reason that they are less commonly seen is that are that they are full carbon (I think) rather than alum/carbon/composite.

Whilst this likely produces a great arrow, there are a lot of clubs that cannot use them due to them being less detectable when buried in the grass. If you don't have this issue at your field then he may be fine, but could still hit the issue when he starts to shoot any comps at other clubs.

.700 for 31" shaft @33lbs seems a little weak. I would have guessed somewhere around the .600 for that (based on Easton calcs) but then the charts are only a guide and the only real way to tell is to test them. That's another reason to stick with Easton, so many folks use them that it's often possible to borrow some to try before you buy.

Would be interested in how you get on if you do go with them though.
If he gets them I’ll let you know for sure. Thanks for the advice. And the fact that they’re all carbon hadn’t registered with me - no problem on our field but perhaps at another club’s as you say.

Kerf

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
As already posted, they are full carbon arrows and maybe that's why you've not seen so many being used. I don't know if it's a genuine advantage or just marketing but they claim batches are spine aligned with a neat line on the shaft. I've tried to fletch mine identically and whether it's the alignment or just luck, I feel that any poor grouping is down to me rather than the arrow.

I tried them coming from Carbon One (550) and quite like them although I've not tried the Target Sport. I've used the VAP Gamer & Elite with point weights from 100-120 & 500-600 spines. Personally I like them and tend to get slightly better sight marks with them than the C1 550's.

I've attached the arrow chart I've used, I can't remember where I got it but it's worked fine at my arrow length (just under 30"). I think you'd need 600 at 36lbs OTF. View attachment 8843
Thanks for the help. The chart is very helpful. All I could find was the spine selection tool on Victory’s website which does the calculations for you and I’m too much of a Luddite to completely trust computer automation 😱

Iaincope

Fantastic arrows, I have used them for around 3 years and haven't had a single problem. Much tougher that aluminium/carbon arrows and I've found the tolerances to be excellent. It is worth spending a few quid extra though and getting Top Hat .166 points though.

Kerf

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Fantastic arrows, I have used them for around 3 years and haven't had a single problem. Much tougher that aluminium/carbon arrows and I've found the tolerances to be excellent. It is worth spending a few quid extra though and getting Top Hat .166 points though.
Much obliged for the advice and info. Thanks.

Greetings archers. I’m doing some research for a newbie barebow archer at the Club regarding his first set of arrows.
He’ll be shooting 32lb limbs with a 29 inch draw and is fairly budget minded.
I might have steered him towards some Easton ACCs before they discontinued them and can’t find anywhere in the net at the moment.
The Easton Procomp seem to be comparable but at just a few quid short of £200 they might be a bit much for him.
So, do you guys know anything about the Victory VAP Target family of arrows? The VAP Target Sport run at about £90 for a dozen and the Victory website says they’re good for beginners and intermediate archers. I’ve always shot Easton so know nothing about Victory.
He’ll be pulling about 33lbs with his draw length. On the Victory shaft selector I’ve selected 36lbs for his bow weight to future proof him for a couple of seasons. The shaft selector recommends a .700 spine for a full length 31 inch shaft. Does this seem right?
For comparison the Easton chart recommends a 30” Procomp spine of .570. That seems a way off the Victory chart.
The other option for him price wise might be the Easton Avance but I can’t find a spine chart for them, even on Easton’s own website..
Your help would be much appreciated.
I use the VAP Elite the difference is they are straighter than the sport. The Elite using a compound bow will get you to GMB level Scores. Clickers sell them is singles a big advantage when starting as you can replace lost or broken.

indegold

Extremely tough stand up to all sorts of punishment. Had some doubts about their performance at long distance but now think it’s just me. Thoroughly good value for money, what’s the spine line for tho?

BrianM

The spine line is supposed to go on the opposite side of the button for recurve, vertical for compound (I think). Somewhere there's a youtube video showing how it is supposed to be set but I couldn't find it now. The idea is that they check which side of the arrow is the highest spine, mark it and so you'll have better arrow flight if you have your arrows all set to the same point. On recurve I set the fletch so that the spine line is opposite to the button and line them all the same.

I'm still using VAPs 2yrs after the earlier post and have also found them to be very tough. 500 spine with 120g points and I'd shoot them all the time if it wasn't for some venues having shared fields.

I found on the VAP arrows the spine alignment line was not correct. I start by shooting bear shaft at 20 meters using the spine alignment line vertical for my compound bow. The last set I bought had two groups 3 inch apart and one arrow 6 inch away to the right. The one group was low and left for 4 arrows I put the line underneath this brought the 4 arrows to the other 7. That’s were I put my cock vane. The other odd arrow i never fletched As it was always 6 inch off. The 11 arrows I did all produced bullet holes