Video Guide To Archery (Alison Williamson)

Alexam

Just found this on BBC website if its useful to anyone.

BBC SPORT | Olympics | Archery | Alison Williamson's guide to archery
Hi Neo,

did you happen to notice the finger spacer Alison uses? IT extends to widen her fingers enough to avoid the nock and I have had a problem with the spacing of my fingers and been trying to find some answers, even e-mailing Alison for info. However, not getting anywhere, today I set to and made a suitable spacer to replace the one on the A & F Tab that was not wide enough.

I found a suitable bit of wood and by using the grinder, a couple of files, a drill and the same screws from the tab, built what now works well. A bit of clear nail varnish to finish off with and Jobs a good-en!

When pressed with a problem, the only way is to sort it out!! ..... Patent pending!!

I'm now a happy bunny with two fingers (no not to you) that are suitably spaced and do not foul the nock!:running: .... this is me off to do some shooting!

Malcolm

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Alexam, before I saw this vid, someone had mentioned to me that Alison uses a wide spacer, as I prefer them myself. However, I don't get on with hard spacers. I need something firm with give, like hard rubber. I've adapted the spacer from the most basic Gompy hair tab. The kind you might use on a beginner's course. I shape it with a craft knife and it's been great so far. I believe Yorker has suggested getting chunky erasers from a stationers.

I also noticed that Alison's index finger underneath the platform is taped. I wonder if her platform rubs a bit. Mine can at times, and I've had to do the same thing. In fact, her platform looks a bit like my basic all-metal A&F tab (don't like the ones with plastic platforms).

This is cracking video. I've watched in about 10 times and keep noticing interesting little things.

Alexam

Alexam, before I saw this vid, someone had mentioned to me that Alison uses a wide spacer, as I prefer them myself. However, I don't get on with hard spacers. I need something firm with give, like hard rubber. I've adapted the spacer from the most basic Gompy hair tab. The kind you might use on a beginner's course. I shape it with a craft knife and it's been great so far. I believe Yorker has suggested getting chunky erasers from a stationers.

I also noticed that Alison's index finger underneath the platform is taped. I wonder if her platform rubs a bit. Mine can at times, and I've had to do the same thing. In fact, her platform looks a bit like my basic all-metal A&F tab (don't like the ones with plastic platforms).

This is cracking video. I've watched in about 10 times and keep noticing interesting little things.
Hi Leigh,

Having though about Alisons spacer, possibly taped on, I thought it would be best to replace the spacer on the A&F Tab with a deeper, wider spacer, but screwed in as before.

I had thought about rubber and actually cut up a large pencil erasor, but the problem was always how to attache it, but the feeling was good.

The wood was easy to shape and by drilling first, the screws would have less chance of splitting the wood. The nail varnish finish makes it nice and smooth, but it really is a good fit and prevents the forefinger meeting the middle finger which is what it did with the normal spacer.

There should be a small market for wider/deeper spacers when you consider about all the smaller items at the archery shops and having a choice would be helpful, but I'm OK now and particularly with my new first bow from Merlin, which I set up today and shot a few arrows at the new boss in the garage.

OK so it's only short distance, but it helps to get used to setting up and using the new bow myself. Saturday will be the first 'proper' day with the new coach, who will check out the bow settings before helping me improve and I look forward to the competitions later in the year.

See you on the field sometime?. Good shooting :beer::fruitcake

Malcolm

P.S. Is your favourite song ' the Purple People Eater' ? Or was that before your time?

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot

speaking of her tab - nice to see im not the only one who cant get a tab to stay on tight without cannibalising a beiter armguard

slainte :slaphappy rob

grimsby archer

The instructor grade hasn't been awarded in over 25 years. Level 1 Coach it would be.

And while yes the explanation was clear, we didn't get to see all the other things that need to be marked for an external assessment, such as working with the beginner, starting and ending the session etc etc etc.

O & BTW for the avoidance of doubt TIC.
Exactly, Alison clearly has a lot to learn when it comes to teaching :scratchch
No sign of any safety talk or warm up.
As an accredited level1 assessor, I couldnt give her a pass on that performance.
TBH I would love to see someone like her enrole on the level1 course, just for the hell of it:shhh:

Neo

TBH I would love to see someone like her enrole on the level1 course, just for the hell of it:shhh:

I would like to see that. I did something similar with musical instruments and went through a stage of taking grade 1 exams on obscure instruments just for the hell of it. (i am a music teacher and grade 8 at 3 instruments) The examiners look at you really funny when you tell them that and your doing the exams for a laugh.

Alexam

Teaching ??

Exactly, Alison clearly has a lot to learn when it comes to teaching :scratchch
No sign of any safety talk or warm up.
As an accredited level1 assessor, I couldnt give her a pass on that performance.
I really do think you are rather harsh with your comments on Alison. She is not trying to be a coach, she is simply introducing the sport on a short video, showing the basis of what is involved to obtain interest from others.

If you want to sell the idea of archery to new people, you first need the enquiry, which can then lead to proper coaching and possibly another Olympic star in the future. Let's not knock someone just for portraying what we do, there is no point in going into the full details of safety ....... lets just get more people interested in a sport that we all love and SHOULD be tring to encourage! :soapbox::raspberry:raspberry

Good shooting

Malcolm

grimsby archer

I really do think you are rather harsh with your comments on Alison. She is not trying to be a coach, she is simply introducing the sport on a short video, showing the basis of what is involved to obtain interest from others.
No harshness intended at all.
I was merely looking at the lighter side of the situation.
I think the video is great.
Sorry if I my comments caused offence

tel

Fonz Awardee
I think it does an excellent job - it'll be a shame if it is lost after the Olympic interest is over. (is it only me that can't download it - or is it a BBC thing?)

Yorker

That was a really good video, just, straightforward... so easy to understand!!

As for finger spacer it looks sort of like the Soma clear spacer which you can get from quicks.

Rubber wise WHsmith no longer do their really fat squishy rubbers, which was rather gutting.

paulhuk

I love this video and have just gone back and watched it a few times again. I've just noticed that Alison also favours the high wrist position on the grip, aided by the Jager grip. I've just got one of these and have yet to get out on the field to try it out.

avalon

I suspect the finger spacer is a custom one,as Barry Farndon used to have a load that he'd hand-file. She used to tape her top finger the last time I shot with her (about 1998) and used to take it off at the end of shooting and put it on her bracing height gauge to be reused... I wonder if it's the same piece ;)

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
No harshness intended at all.
I was merely looking at the lighter side of the situation.
I think the video is great.
Sorry if I my comments caused offence
Pity there isn't a smiley for "tongue in cheek"....

Re: the finger strapping.
I notice the platform on the tab is one of the wrap-over-the-finger variety and it *looks* like it might be aluminium. Strapping might be to deal with that rubbing.

Thunk

Ironman
I modified my finger spacer by adding a wedge shape cut from a wine cork and simply strapped it on with insulating tape as an experiment. Seems to do the job and I no longer pinch the nocks.

There is a limit as to how much extra spacing you can use though. The wider apart your fingers are splayed, the closer together the tips come when you bend them round the string. That might sound a bit odd to some, but it's simple geometry. Spread your first two fingers wide as though you are giving a V-sign and then bend them - you'll see what I mean!