[Warbow] Warbow endurance shooting!

bearded bowyer

Hi everyone.
Just been shooting with a friend and we decided to see how many arrows we could shoot through our warbows.
Took about an hour but I managed 160 arrows through my 90lb warbow.
I have no idea how this measures against normal warbow shoots. I'm not a member of a club but heard somewhere that 144 arrows is the norm. Absolutely knackered after!

Matt

WillS

Would love to join the EWBS but children and work means I have almost no free time!
Pffftt rubbish excuse! Bring the kids. Lots of the guys do.

Have you found any guys near you that shoot in the EWBS? It's so beneficial to have somebody who actually shoots HEAVY bows show you the ropes.

blakey

Hi everyone.
Just been shooting with a friend and we decided to see how many arrows we could shoot through our warbows.
I have no idea how this measures against normal warbow shoots. I'm not a member of a club but heard somewhere that 144 arrows is the norm. Absolutely knackered after!

Interesting that you could shoot that many. I believe that hysterically speaking about 30 or so arrows would be loosed in the average cavalry charge, then you'd drop your bow and swing the maul. Somewhere I read about Henry VIIIs shoot at the Cloth of Gold. Think it was 3 X 12 arrow ends? Might well be corrected about that. 144 arrows is a modern target round, with bows not exceeding 60 lbs. Absolutely no comparison. But the real warbow boys will probably put me right. NB minimum practice distance under Henry was 220 yards. Can you reach that with your bow? Cheers

Tuck

Hi everyone.

Matt
But they take much longer to shoot 144 arrow. Typically 3-6 hours depending on the 'formality' of the shoot.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

Yew Selfbow

Interesting that you could shoot that many. I believe that hysterically speaking about 30 or so arrows would be loosed in the average cavalry charge,
I'd estimate much lower numbers than that Blakey. If you consider a good bow will send an arrow 300yards, A horse at a strong canter will cover 300 yards in about 35 seconds.