what am I fletching for....??

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
So, we've got a "fun" shoot on Sunday, and in my enthusiasm I decided to make some woodies up for my horsebow... cause I figured it'd be fun to shoot that. I have just finished the 4th out of six arrows when I spot a slight error... I'm a compounder, my fletching jig is set up for compound arrows off a launcher... did I think to change the jig to allow for the fact that my horsebow isn't shot off a launcher?? I think it's safe to say I didn't!! ;)

Insanity-Rocks

My horsebow arrows are fletched like that on purpose, as are Gavin's longbow arrows. Don't understand the reason why but they fly better that way. So not as much of a oopsie moment as you thought! :)

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
as long as they stay on... I can't actually remember when I bought the stuff to make these arrows... maybe six years ago... maybe a bit longer!!

D

Deleted member 7654

It's not that vital. Some medieval crossbow bolts had 2 horizontal and 1 vertical. I've made 'em like >< before now. as long as there aren't just 2 on the same plane you are probably fine. Having said that, just 2 works ok if they are put on with some angle to induce spin.
Del

ThomVis

I've done the same thing the other way around. Happily fletching arrows on a recurve-setup, halfway thinking "bugger, 2315 are for the compound".
Lately I've seen some recurve shooters who shoot with index vane down.

Tuck

Doesn't matter too much as the fletch to the bow side is in the same place as the normal lower fletch, top fletch and left fletch out of the way so should be good to go. Especially if feathers.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
well, glad I've not made a big a mistake as I had feared... I am now attempting to whip them...