What are the best arrows for 3D?

osprey

Hi All

What are the best arrows for 3D which are accurate but can be extracted?

I currently use Easton ACG with a compound bow @ 50lbs, which are great at distances over 70m, but being very thin they go a long way into the target. I shot one at 20M and it went in right to the Fletching. Whilst I can double boss in target archery this is not an option in 3D, and if I hit a tree I think the chance of getting the arrow back undamaged is not likely.

I've also got some old Easton XX75 which can be extracted OK, but are so thick compared to the ACGs that they tend to fall off the arrow rest.

So I'm looking for a bit of a compromise, thicker than an ACG, but thinner than a XX75, and fairly accurate & durable.

I'm considering options like ACC, or even FMJ (I assume the outer casing of aluminium would protect them a bit).

What are your opinions for the best way forward?

Thanks
Osprey

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
That's weird because we shot our first tournament yesterday and I used both; ACGs for the long range (over 45 yards) ones (these targets had a big net to catch arrows), XX75s for the rest. It does complicate the sight markings a bit but overall it went pretty well.
My only issue was one ACG stuck a good 1-2 inches into the wood when what looked like 60 yards was more like 80 and a couple of the harder targets took some serious pulling to get the arrows out.

53lbs Mybo Origin.

Because of the nature of it though, only really need three decent arrows (plus a couple of spares); something in between the two would be good; the XX75s are definitely too heavy over 50 yards and really do drop.

Let me know if you find something good - I reckon FMJs might fit the bill.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I guess it very much depends on what you mean by "best". I really like my Easton Hexx, for 3D (& field), because they're very light, and a little bit thicker (1/4") than regular thin shafts. And keep in mind that on the 3D circuit in the US, fat carbon shafts are also popular (Fatboys, etc). But then it depends on how far out your targets might be. I only shoot World Archery, so my 3D targets max out at 45m, and field targets at 60m.

osprey

Good question, and I don't know the answer for the 3D competition I'm entering as It's not stated in the entry form. However my weekly target archery is on a joint use sports field, so a detectable arrow is required there. Therefore I would prefer to use a detectable so I can use them in both places.

Aleatorian

Good question, and I don't know the answer for the 3D competition I'm entering as It's not stated in the entry form. However my weekly target archery is on a joint use sports field, so a detectable arrow is required there. Therefore I would prefer to use a detectable so I can use them in both places.
That's one problem with practising multiple disciplines, one bow for all doesn't really work. I can get away with shooting WA Target and WA Field as X10s work fine for both. If i was then to take part in WA 3D then I'd want a new bow with another set of arrows

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
I was told you can use full carbons and that was from a coach so I?d say they don?t have to be detectable.

The guy who came first in Compound Unlimited had a pretty long ATA Prime now that looked very ?target? to me; only him, myself and my son had long rods, the rest had short, stubby stabilisers, I was the only one with side stabilisers. Yep they can snag the odd branch but i wasn?t worried.

Absolutely no bow elitism; everyone was admiring all types of bows and my green Mybo received a few nice comments.

Get the brightest vanes possible; they do bounce off occasionally. My son got an inner kill that bounced and it had to be scored a 16 instead of a 24!

AndyW

I was told you can use full carbons and that was from a coach so I’d say they don’t have to be detectable.

The guy who came first in Compound Unlimited had a pretty long ATA Prime now that looked very “target” to me; only him, myself and my son had long rods, the rest had short, stubby stabilisers, I was the only one with side stabilisers. Yep they can snag the odd branch but i wasn’t worried.

Absolutely no bow elitism; everyone was admiring all types of bows and my green Mybo received a few nice comments.

Get the brightest vanes possible; they do bounce off occasionally. My son got an inner kill that bounced and it had to be scored a 16 instead of a 24!
A witnessed bounce back on the inner is still a 24 unless someone in the group disagrees - then claim the 16. A bounce into the inner via a Barnes Wallis or deflection is always a 24 because that's where it stuck never mind how it got there.

AndyW

Hi All

What are the best arrows for 3D which are accurate but can be extracted?

I currently use Easton ACG with a compound bow @ 50lbs, which are great at distances over 70m, but being very thin they go a long way into the target. I shot one at 20M and it went in right to the Fletching. Whilst I can double boss in target archery this is not an option in 3D, and if I hit a tree I think the chance of getting the arrow back undamaged is not likely.

I've also got some old Easton XX75 which can be extracted OK, but are so thick compared to the ACGs that they tend to fall off the arrow rest.

So I'm looking for a bit of a compromise, thicker than an ACG, but thinner than a XX75, and fairly accurate & durable.

I'm considering options like ACC, or even FMJ (I assume the outer casing of aluminium would protect them a bit).

What are your opinions for the best way forward?

Thanks
Osprey
Off fingers or with a release?

turtle

Consider Black Eagle carnivores. Standard ish diameter and light and fast. Fat arrows drop noticeably more at long range, even at the same weight. Standard diameter arrows are a good compromise in the UK. In the US they tend to have less wind and distances can be a bit longer here in the UK. I shoot 60lb and my skinny VAPs from my target bow often pass clean through wet and worn bosses at 3D events. My carnivores on my 3D bow go to the fletchings at worst.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I use Easton FMJ 380 spine 100g points and Ted nugent Gold Tip 400 spine 85 g points
Your boring bog standard 5mm FMJs don't come in 380s. Are these some of the new fangled skinny ones?

Reactions: jez