What are they up to now?

Old Bloke

For those that like reading such items, this is an interesting read:

A Guide To Corporate Foundations (I guess Archery Foundation)

Which can be found within www.charitycommission.gov.uk

..and while I'm about it..does anyone know what the changes might be in the GNAS Finance Policy that might mean the county and or regional associations losing their (not to be sniffed at) Subscription Handling Payments from GNAS? And if they do lose out does it mean that on top of the probable GNAS membership fees increasing, that the County and Regional fees will also have to increase to offset the (in some cases) substantial shortfall?

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
Archery GB has effectively increased the GNAS membership fee by 5% by discontinuing the rebate to the regions. This leaves them with more income but they can say we have not increased the fees this year !!
This then leaves the regions impoverished - in my own region the rebate made up about half of the region's income from fees. Coupled with the total absence of income from bank interest this leaves a severe shortfall. The region has decided as an interim measure to increase fees by one third this year, the first increase for many years. This will need to be followed by further increases to regain the income or we will have to cut what is done. This would include funding to EAF affecting the Euronations teams etc.

The problem is also compounded by clubs failing to affiliate to county and region as the fees now need to be sent separately.

Thinking back to the AGM I do not recall seeing the presentation
Archery Foundation - team formed - Archery GB

Yew Selfbow

I've just read the entire PDF from the charity commission on Corporate Foundations. I have to say, I can't see for the life of me why GONAD (sorry GNAS) would be wanting to set this up or even if they qualify. Old Bloke, are you sure this is the route they're planning, because I just can't understand what the outcome is going to be, or is there a hidden agenda somewhere .... I hope I'm wrong

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
I have a problem with the thought processes -
I know let's set up a charity - now what is it for ?

The usual route is we have a charitable purpose - let's set up a charity

Whitehart

Well first off - a consultancy firm has made a few quid putting together the usual what I would consider money for old rope presentation no wonder those that attended voted for it to be shown only once.

Confused by this statement below - I would expect the foundation to be all about archery - this might even be good for coaching.

"However, as an NGB charity body, the trustees will most likely want to include a mention of the sport of archery, but Oaks would suggest retaining as general an approach as possible so as not to limit the way in which they manage the Foundation and the distribution of funds".

I am also encouraged that when all is said and done it will go in the right direction knowing that Graham is one of the committee members.

Old Bloke

There is much for the membership of the GNAS to consider and to not consider will be at their peril. By a sleight of hand ArcheryGB (and I bet they think they have been so clever) have placed an increased burden upon grass roots archery (re Trunkles posts) and make no mistake, as I see it, the setting up of a Corporate Foundation is nothing more than to ring fence money, the extra money they are taking from the regions so that they can continue and justify their existence. And Whitheart, I and like most of the GNAS membership would probably feel a whole lot more encouraged for *going in the right direction* if the positions already filled in the committee were filled by a tendering process, for I too have a commercial interest in archery, and, was the company you work for ask to sit because, to the best of my knowledge, neither of my two companies were?

JohnR

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
..and while I'm about it..does anyone know what the changes might be in the GNAS Finance Policy that might mean the county and or regional associations losing their (not to be sniffed at) Subscription Handling Payments from GNAS? And if they do lose out does it mean that on top of the probable GNAS membership fees increasing, that the County and Regional fees will also have to increase to offset the (in some cases) substantial shortfall?
I did hear that the 'early payment rebate' was stopped partly in order to provide the, fairly minor, money that the ontarget club development scheme is able to disburse in small grants - in other words, rather than that few percent of affiliation fees going back to clubs in a scattergun fashion it now goes back in a targetted fashion. Of course, as well as arguing about whether that is a good or a bad thing you can also argue about whether that change should have been more transparent.

The rebate is obviously handled differently in different Regions. In OB's Region and County, for example, the rebate is passed straight back to the 'early paying' clubs. There is therefore no money lost to Region and County, but there is a minor loss of income to some clubs. My club, which has always tried to get fees in on time to claim the rebate, will lose something like ?1 per member on average.

Whitehart

No I wasn't contacted but then again GNAS seems not to want to have much involvement with dealers unless the main topic of conversation is about about giving them money or sponsorship of events. However if like some I was closer to events had the time to spend weekends away at Lillishall it would make life easier to be involved.

I don't think Graham is on the pannel as a retailer just a volunteer - thats what they asked for.

But also I did not make the effort to go to the AGM so if others are selected over me who did attend fair enough.

Archery is out of reach for many in the community, maybe this fund will help in some small part to rectify this and or help archers who say want to become coaches/Judges even talented archers from disadvantaged back grounds who are not able to fund it get a little bit of help - all possible and more within the scope of what they are looking at.

The more I read about this I think it is in the very early stages somebody had an idea or it was suggested it would be a good idea - now GNAS are going through the is it a good idea, can we make it work and how can we make it work and be fair to all lets give the committee the chance to come up with a plan rather than moan about an increase what might amount to be the cost of a packet of vanes.