[OTHER] what Bow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeciduousDan

Hi all I am new to archery and i am looking to buy my first Bow. I would like to go down the traditional route as i am a big history fan so that has a lot of appeal to me. I am equally taken with the idea of a Longbow or a horse bow however I only have a small budget and can only afford one and dont want to spend too much on that if i can help it.
So what should i look for? and where should i look for it? any help would be appreciated :)

carl7

Hi all I am new to archery and i am looking to buy my first Bow. I would like to go down the traditional route as i am a big history fan so that has a lot of appeal to me. I am equally taken with the idea of a Longbow or a horse bow however I only have a small budget and can only afford one and dont want to spend too much on that if i can help it.
So what should i look for? and where should i look for it? any help would be appreciated :)
Or, you could take the inbetween route, a metal Olympic riser and limbs but no sight, stabilizer, or anything else. Just bow and arrow.

D

Deleted member 7654

Or, you could take the inbetween route, a metal Olympic riser and limbs but no sight, stabilizer, or anything else. Just bow and arrow.
He said 'traditional'
Dude you are in the USA!
You should be steering the guy towards Native American bows which vary from V similar to the UK longbow to short heavy short draw sinew backed bows... not suggesting cold modern machine built cr4p.
Your country has a vast culture of bow and arrow. You should be embracing it, especially as you can still hunt legally with bow and arrow. Look at the Primitive Archer website to see the glorious work you countymen (and others) are still producing and hunting with!
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

Why are people incapable of giving their location, or at least a rough idea????
Google Delsbows, to see some traditional bows. If you are near to me (my location is under my avatar) I can show you some traditional bows.
Traditional is good...
The cheap horsebows you see are fun, but are fibreglass (or similar, which isn't traditional) a real horsebow (made of horn wood and sinew) would cost a small fortune or several years to build.
The internet has plenty of makers of relatively cheap longbows, there are also some good amateures who can produce a better bow than some commercial ones at a better price. (I an NOT touting for business!). Primitives are harder to find but can be a joy to shoot. Beware of E-bay, there are some awful bows on there.
You can get cheap longbows of Ash, Sycamore etc, which are ok and good value for money as a 'first bow' they tend to be a little sluggish unless re-worked.
Del

DeciduousDan

thanks for the replies, i haven't had any tuition nor do i intend to i am not planing to do more than shoot a target on my own land for fun and i am happy to suck till i practice enough to get good, thats part of the fun of life. I dont like the styling of the noden olympic bows rather than not liking the way they shoot (probably never tried one) so thats out as an option for me. i do like the looks of the bows on the primitive archer website. but i am not finding relatively cheep longbows on line probably looking in the wrong places unless you mean around the ?200 mark?

ps i have now updated my profile location i didn't realise it was so important!

D

Deleted member 7654

Hi, I've PM'd you a link to a guy who does cheap bows.
I only asked for a location so I could see if you were in visiting distance. I do have a couple of bows looking for a home, but it depends on draw weight, length etc.
I'm all for learning how to shoot by yourself. (Obviously pencil in the usual safety stuff tho'). Field shooting is V friendly and informal should you ever fancy shooting with like minded individuals.
I've never had any formal 'training' or 'coaching' but I started making and shooting bows aged about 10.
My safety training as a kid was a smack in the mouth when I pointed a crossbow at a lad... I appreciated that lesson :)
Del

DeciduousDan

I keep seeing people (mostly Del) talking about Hazel self bows, I am currently felling a coppice coupe full of the stuff at work. All day instead of thinking fire wood, fire wood, fire wood as i work i have been wondering is there a bow in that? so some of the more likely looking candidates will be coming home!

Yokonama

really depends on your personal preference and budget limit. the beginner bow's price range from $100~$300.
you can get some cheap "traditional look" fiberglass bow from ebay or etsy like this

these fiberglass bow shoot well but not fast as real traditional bows made of wood, horn, and sinew.
You can find super horse bow from Kassai.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.