Barebow What do I need to know?

Darth Tom

[Hopefully this isn't a double post, it doesn't look like it worked the first time.]

I've decided to try barebow shooting with a one piece trad-ish recurve, shot off the shelf with a glove and to try stringwalking. I've wanted to try this since I started shooting over 16 years ago. But in all that time the only shooting I've ever done without a sight was a few sessions on holiday before I actually took up the sport.

So, what do I need to know about barebow shooting? What stuff might I need?

steve Morley

Off the shelf String Walking without a button, although not impossible it will be more of a challenge.

If you're shooting a wood riser, I wouldn't SW, you increase the risk of the bow breaking.

- - - Updated - - -

Off the shelf String Walking without a button, although not impossible it will be more of a challenge.

If you're shooting a wood riser, I wouldn't SW, you increase the risk of the bow breaking.

steve Morley

When you walk the string you're changing the dynamic spine of the arrow for each crawl distance, a plunger helps absorb these dynamic changes. When you shoot you longest crawl at short range you're also putting extra force on the bottom limb, so a wire rest works a little like the plunger by absorbing some of that downward force on the arrow, I think off the shelf at close range you may get erratic grouping.

Lot of extra limb vibration with Stringwalking a modern ILF can take those stresses, not so confident a wooden riser could.

I've tried a 30y fixed crawl off the shelf on a wood riser with a heavy arrow and gapped all the other distances, it worked well this way but the riser did develop as crack.

Darth Tom

Ok that's interesting, thanks. One thing that is really confusing me is that elsewhere I was advised that shooting with a glove is not ideal, which I can see, but it would seem that by restricting the arrow to either above all three or between the first two fingers, a tab would seriously limit the ability to aim at long range. How do people get around this?

mediumtab

AIUK Saviour
For most field or 3D shooting,max distance seems to be no more than 60yds. .....
Most field bows with side of face reference can accomodate that distance,but if you try to use a longbow or flat bow for any further distance,then for target shooting the hand needs to come under the chin to improve cast if shooting lower weight bows.

NFAS rules use a mediteranian loose (one finger above the arrow),so one finger above is OK for the shorter dstances if referencing side of face.Most archers cannot acheive a slick enough release using a glove,but as with anything its down to preference and rules (if you are club shooting).

Mike47j

I found it hard to find information on barebow archery, so I started to create a web page with information I found.
Some of it I have not tried, and some is probably wrong or badly explained.
Crystal Palace Bowmen

- - - Updated - - -

I found it hard to find information on barebow archery, so I started to create a web page with information I found.
Some of it I have not tried, and some is probably wrong or badly explained.
http://www.crystalpalacebowmen.org.uk/barebow.shtml

chrisnoble

Mike47j, I found your info page a couple or three months ago when I decided to give recurve Barebow 'one more try' after failing miserably at gap shooting and I have found a new obsession using string walking. Got my first class at the end of July and I'm 10 points or so away from bowman. So thank you, it's my go to read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve Morley

Facebook has a " The Barebow Group" and "The single string archery group" forums, some of the best Stringwalkers in the world post there, good info to be found.