[RECURVE] What is Oh Jin Hyek using?

blakey

In this photograph Oh Jin Hyek has some short, stubby dampers screwed into the top and bottom rod bushings on his Formula riser. Does anyone know what they are and who makes them please?

Thanks,
Backinblack

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/xkJW5J-1pkY/maxresdefault.jpg
They look a bit like Limbsaver Enhancers, except I can't see how they can be screwed into bushings. In that position on the face/back of the limb I'd have thought it would have been an adhesive disc. I've been thinking of trying something like this myself to cut down vibration on long crawls. Cheers

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have one of those. I did have two, but one was given away.At least they look very like them.
In the olden days, when boys wore short trousers till they were 15, there were things called TFC's " Torque Flight Compensators."
They were bolts that screwed into the riser with a rubber block held in place on the end of the bolt. The rubber block had a threaded insert down the centre so a short rod could screw into it. It meant the short rod was loosely connected to the riser rather than rigidly fitted. Matthews bows had weights surrounded by rubber that fitted directly into holes in their risers, to dampen things down. My guess is that is what they are for even if they are not quite the same.

backinblack

Thank you both for the replies.

Ah the mythical torque flight compensator which apparently does none of these things :)

According to Limbsaver's website, the Enhancer has a 5/16 inch thread which should mean that it fits a top rod bushing.

https://www.limbsaver.com/product/stabilizer-enhancer/

I've spoken with Chiltern Archery in the UK who confirm that it should fit and I've ordered a couple. I'll come back to you once I've confirmed that it is the case.

Thanks once more,
Backinblack

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I had two that were different sizes body wise. They both fitted into the long rod hole in my bow and both accepted the long rod into themselves.
When you said "Limbsavers" I thought you meant generic term for all those sorts of items. Reading again I see that is the maker, and the ones I had came from a Limbsaver rep.
They worked in the same way as the old TFC things by damping high frequency vibration and making the bow feel gentler, no vibration. As for results in the target... I don't recall improvements and as I always took them off I can guess they didn't help me. As an extra weight on the riser, they would add quite a bit as they are heavy.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
They look a bit like Limbsaver Enhancers, except I can't see how they can be screwed into bushings. In that position on the face/back of the limb I'd have thought it would have been an adhesive disc. I've been thinking of trying something like this myself to cut down vibration on long crawls. Cheers
Formula limbs have a bushing there. You're attaching the stab to the limb base directly, in effect.

Shirt

According to Limbsaver's website, the Enhancer has a 5/16 inch thread which should mean that it fits a top rod bushing.

I've spoken with Chiltern Archery in the UK who confirm that it should fit and I've ordered a couple. I'll come back to you once I've confirmed that it is the case.
However, the picture is actually of an Enhancer 2000 Hunter's Friend Europe, Sims Enhancer 2000 Stabilizer for Your Compound Bow

If you look closely, you can see the body around the outside and the ability to screw another one on top... Sims marketed these as a "customise your hunting stabiliser!" thing way back when, but they never took off in the UK. People didn't really use backweights then, and top rods tended to be a proper 8-10" rod rather than just a weight.

backinblack

Well that idea fell on its @rse: despite assurances from Chiltern Archery that the thread size would fit a top rod bushing and that the items came with a choice of thread sizes, guess what. Only one thread size and it's the wrong one.

I don't think I'm prepared to pay for the Enhancer 2000, so I'll just have to live with a slightly noisy bow. Bugger.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The one I have fits a long rod bushing which is 5/16" Is that the thread size you need to mount one to your bow? It has 5/16" in the other end, too for attaching a longrod or short rod with that thread size. It is idle and has been for 10years but you can have it. It is larger diameter round the outer lump than the one on the photo.

backinblack

Hi Geoff,

That's very kind but I've solved the problem: I've screwed them to the base of a couple of old short rods that I have and which will mean I can attach them to my bow. It doesn't look quite as cool as I had hoped but it should provide some dampening without any added weight.

Best,
Backinblack

AndyW

Just in case anyone is interested Wales archery are selling off some Saunders bandits which will do exactly the same job for about ?3, they're weight adjustable and look ok.

EVC

Well that idea fell on its @rse: despite assurances from Chiltern Archery that the thread size would fit a top rod bushing and that the items came with a choice of thread sizes, guess what. Only one thread size and it's the wrong one.

I don't think I'm prepared to pay for the Enhancer 2000, so I'll just have to live with a slightly noisy bow. Bugger.
The one on the picture you first linked is the modular enhancer:

https://www.limbsaver.com/product/aws-modular-stabilizer-2/
https://www.limbsaver.com/product/aws-modular-stabilizer-node/

It does not say what the size of the thread but it seems on the pictures the holes and screws are the same size and they must be 5/16.
These are thinner than the one on the picture, maybe they changed the product or there are two models.

As for model you linked on another post (copied below), it does come with two screws, one 5/16" and other 1/4". I have two of this item and both came with the two screws. In fact, one is a straight headless 1/4" and the other is a 1/4" to 5/16" converter. The latter must be missing on the piece you bought. You should contact Chiltern and ask them for the missing adapter.