What is your prefered target material?

Thorvald

I am curious as to what archers around the World prefered target material is?? Both for shooting at home in the back yard and for shooting in the archery club.

In my archery club we use only Danage foam materials, soft stop cores, easy pull cores etc.

The soft stop cores is a very nice material to shoot in, but I think maybe the are too expensive to buy in relation to how many shots they withstand before they need repair. And the repair is also relative expensive. The easy pull cores are cheaper but I am not sure if they withstand more or less arrows in total than a foam target. So I will concentrate on the foam targets.

I see around that people think it is a expensive material - and maybe it is - but it is also a better material and withstand more shots / longer time, but indoor and outdoor.

What I think is the benefits of the Danage foam are:
- The foam layers of different density is good for stopping the arrows.
- At the same time it is good against the arrows.
- It is relatively easy to pull the arrows out of the target.
- Outdoor the material is good, because water cannot get into the foam. So it is not damaged by frost and the performance of the material is almost the same in all weather.
- It lasts for relative many shots.
- The modular Domino system is very smart, because you can move around with the modules as they get used out.
- If you use 24,5 cm or the new 31,5 cm thick foam modules, you can shoot at the backside of the foam, when the front is worn to some extend. This prolongs the lifetime of the target even further and reduces the costs pr. shot.
- Even the 44x44 cm modules are now possible to build up of smaller modules. This is of course interesting for indoor shooting, because it makes it possible to use the 44x44 cm surface closer to 100 % by moving around with the modules.
- This again reduces the cost pr. shot.
- It is a lightweight target material.
- Easy to handle and maintain.

So even though the price is perhaps a little high, the price pr. shot can be very low.

For the moment in my club we have started testing a few different foam modules (indoor) up against each other:
- 44x44x24,5 cm module (this we have used for a long time).
- 44x44x31,5 cm module.
- Modular 44x44 module, variant 1. My idea.

- Modular 44x44 module, variant 2. My idea.

At the same time I am keeping track with our soft stop cores, so I can see how long time the different targets lasts.

But what target material do you prefer and why?? :)

D

Deleted member 7654

Anuthing that is free.
I found some good packing foam at the council tip a few years ago, but it's pretty much shot out now.
I always keep my eyes open...
Bankers and politicians bound and stacked would prob work well. Maybe a few 'celebrities' on top?
Del