What should we discuss next?

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Because they can charge that much and sell to the most discerning?? There is nothing worse than a cheap long rod; but how can you avoid that?
Buy the best???
Pay more??
But it’s a weighted rod.
I can see with arrows, bows, sights and more but not stabiliser rods!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Matt, my post was a follow on to the one numbered 159.
It's a rigid rod with a weight on the far end. Length and weight can vary from archer to archer.
I would pay for a well made one; anything above that on the price scale is for those who like high prices.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Matt, my post was a follow on to the one numbered 159.
It's a rigid rod with a weight on the far end. Length and weight can vary from archer to archer.
I would pay for a well made one; anything above that on the price scale is for those who like high prices.
And that’s the trap; “well made.”
They are all carbon fibre, all have a screw at each ends. The variability is tiny.
I’m no stranger to flinging money at kit but I do feel archers are severely taken for a ride with some stuff. Archery sunglasses being another.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I made my first two long rods.The first was parallel steel tube from our daughter's relaxer chair from when she was a baby.( she had outgrown it and signed her paper of transfer.)
The second came a few years later and I bought in, three different diameter tubes that fitted inside one another like an old telescope. Taper tubes were in fashion at that time so I jumped on the band wagon.
The hi tech second generation with taper was rubbish. The old one with a steel bolt glued in the end for a weight was returned to pride of place on the riser. My latest one is home made, too. Works fine... even if I don't.
Part 2. I am in the process of fitting an adaptor, that acts like a torque wrench, so I always tighten it to the same amount. No matter how much rubbish gets stuck in the threaded hole, it produces the same tight fit every time. It come with a thread cleaning brush that is calibrated to UNF, and at a twist will convert to metric thread. The handle of the brush has an adjustable section that can be set to different pressures of brushing. So, if the thread is in stainless steel or aluminium, it can be set so as not to score the metal.
Half way along the length of the rod, there is going to be a barrel section that is knurled ready to twist around the rod. By turning, as you would a lens on an expensive camera ( so you get the idea of quality as soon as you see it) the tune of the rod can be made to match the distance being shot. I am still testing that feature; but even so I have had hundreds of pre production orders. Knurling is so evocative. It shouts precision and draws the eyes away from the slightly rough finish of the elastoplast dampers on the far end.

Last edited:

AndyW

Geoffretired, that's the weird part the rubber bit (eg. doinker ) was designed to be fitted between weight and stab so actually negates the effect they are supposed to give.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi AndyW,
Yes, you are right; it seems odd to me too. I just wonder if some archers put another weight on the end of the long rod( rigid fit) so the rubber with its own weight are extra rather than the only weight on the rod.
I remember TFC's having a flexible coupling at the riser so the side rods flopped about. howthings move on ! and some come back round when they think all has been forgiven.heehee

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Coming from target archery, my long rod and side ones make it look a bit like I’m carrying a climbing frame around the woods.

We have the green light to shoot in our woods now; yippee! Just pinged a few dozen in the garden and it felt goood. Fairly accurate too.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I would like to find out what others think about "The draw".
After watching beginners for nearly 40 years, many of them struggle a little at the very early stages of their beginners' course, then settle into a fairly smooth routine.
Some settle into a draw style that seems less smooth than others; some " make it look easy".
My view is that the draw itself is far more than a necessary action; an action you have to do in order to eventually make a shot.
To my way of thinking the draw is the equivalent of a long jumper's run up. If they mess up their run up, the jump is doomed( Captain Mainwaring)
If an archers messes up the draw, they end up at full draw( or close to it) in a state that doesn't help the finishing of the shot.

Whitehart

Ah, but we need to discus that here! :ROFLMAO:
Longrods should be rated by wobbleosity and gullibility ;):devilish:
Del
But in a years time nobody looking back will be able to find these topics and we will just be repeating ourselves - this thread has turned into that Miscellaneous Folder we put stuff rather than in its own folder.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Andrew. I am wondering how or where they should be posted.
On a slightly different tack, do people look back at topics?

D

Deleted member 7654

Most search engines (certainly the one on here) are useless.
But no need to worry the same topics reappear with monotonous regularity :eek:
Like the old motorcycle mags... every late autumn there would be "Winter riding tips".
Newbies will still be asking the same question when we are grubbing around in the ruins of a post apocalyptic overheated planet.:oops:
(Hmmm maybe I need to find somewhere cool to lie down? :ROFLMAO:)
Del

AndyW

After watching beginners for nearly 40 years, many of them struggle a little at the very early stages of their beginners' course, then settle into a fairly smooth routine.
Some settle into a draw style that seems less smooth than others; some " make it look easy".
My view is that the draw itself is far more than a necessary action; an action you have to do in order to eventually make a shot.
To my way of thinking the draw is the equivalent of a long jumper's run up. If they mess up their run up, the jump is doomed( Captain Mainwaring)
If an archers messes up the draw, they end up at full draw( or close to it) in a state that doesn't help the finishing of the shot.
I don't worry about it too much, as long as it gets there I settle later but I'm not the best poster boy for form or technique. Being compound off fingers helps. I know some who draw to the chest in the first instance after nasty experiences with strings. Doesn't seem to affect the end result, probably more critical to other styles / bows.

jerryRTD

And that’s the trap; “well made.”
They are all carbon fibre, all have a screw at each ends. The variability is tiny.
I’m no stranger to flinging money at kit but I do feel archers are severely taken for a ride with some stuff. Archery sunglasses being another.
That is the point of the spine rating for longrods. untill we get a spine rating we will not tell what the difference is
Lets take as an example a long rod that is stiff and light against Vs a stiff but heavier long rod the light rod willgive you the greatest range of options. we could leave it stiff with a little weight on the end or load it up with more weight. The heavier long rod will more than likely be cheaper because the stiffness has been achieved by using more material and a larger diameter rod ( Doinker fatty) hence the increase in weight and the lower price because there is no complicated and expensive manufacturing processes. Downside , more weight in the hand. With the lighter rods you can put more weight on the end of the stabs and keep the same weight in the hand.

jerryRTD

Very important to recurve archers. getting to the anchor in a smooth and controlled manner less important to the compound archer we have the valley to sort things out in.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
@ Jerry longrod. A light longrod v a heavy longrod does give you the option of loading the front without getting too heavy in total.
Some archers get their light logrod, put a weight on the end, find it is too forward heavy so add weight at the grip or close to it. Same balance, same total weight.
I think going for light longrod is of more benefit if light total weight is required.
@Jerry draw.
I agree that a compound could give more settling time despite the draw being a bit unusual.
The draw itself, though, isn't just to get to anchor by the end of it.
A hesitant draw can leave a newer archer feeling a bit unsettled by the time they reach anchor.
Some draw and get the string off their fingers at first contact between string and chin. It's as if drawing to the face is the end of it.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I don't worry about it too much, as long as it gets there I settle later but I'm not the best poster boy for form or technique. Being compound off fingers helps. I know some who draw to the chest in the first instance after nasty experiences with strings. Doesn't seem to affect the end result, probably more critical to other styles / bows.
Hi AndyW,
I understand the way things can be for many archers. We get into a way of doing something and don't feel we need to change it. Perhaps we don't.
But perhaps that masks a problem that other have and aren't aware that things could be better.
I am not saying one way is wrong and one way is right. It seems to me that underestimating the draw, can lead to making other parts of the shot more difficult or less likely to be as good as it might.
Imagine a long jumper whose run up stopped at the board. Or missed the board.
Some archers draw to their chin in such a way that the chin obstructs the rest of the draw.

AndyW

I agree Geoff but I in effect taught myself how to shoot back in the day. No coach, no advice aside from don't do that etc.
And bear in mind I'm field, i don't need to keep pounding arrows for end after end at a target. I just need to kill Bambis mom once and move on.
You would have kittens.
It may not be true of other field archers but if you were to ask me to hit the same thing time and again it would go horribly wrong but I tend to be pretty accurate once. Maybe something about overthinking it - I'm pretty instinctive for a compound shooter and tend to not put more thought into the shot than it's about X distance lets see.
The most I'm going to win is a plastic medal to give to my daughter so it's about the joy of shooting for me not a conscious deconstruction and build up again in the hope of winning more bits of tat.
Each to their own eh?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
AndyW a great post.
The joy of shooting! Yes indeed. I am shooting at 5 y in the garage at present. I can still mess up a shot! Nothing to do with where it lands; it's all about how I made the shot.
I suppose "over thinking" describes what I do. But let me try to put it in context.
I remember doing long jump at county sports. It was a run up and a take off and land as far from the board as possible. I loved doing it. I did relays ,too. Run and pass the baton over to the next one. I enjoyed that too.
But, in both, there had to be some thinking that would help get a better jump or a better change over.
The overall performance was more rewarding.
I guess it is like stringing the right notes together to play a tune, like a beginner, compared to an expert stringing the right notes together to get the same tune but they put their feelings into it to get a better performance.