What's in a Riser?

inthemiddle

Looking at the rather growing availability of recurve risers on the market these days I was wondering what differentiates one from another other than price? Most come with adjustable everything and all CNC produced. Why is a £500-£600 better than a £200 riser?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Conclusions I've seen from previous threads:
Leaving aside design, for a moment... Materials, methods:
Materials costs are not just the base materials, but also the fittings, finish etc.
Methods; not just is it cast, machined, forged, but also how much finishing (and to what level of polish) takes place, straightening, QA(!).

Then there's design. You'd hope that a higher end riser has sunk a lot of cost into this, but it's largely upfront. So when you're buying the product, you can see that either as recouping sunk design costs, or financing the next iteration.

A low priced riser... you can cut materials costs a fair bit, but only so much (just not that much headroom), a lower grade of metal, cheaper methods... but the biggest cost reductions are probably in process - taking a knock-off design, cutting out finishing steps, skimping on QA, cutting out after-care.

Stretch

What Rik said plus Country of manufacture. The employment costs in China being significantly less… not that this always impacts quality. Manufacturing in Japan or US is much higher cost.

Finish is a big player too. Machining on some £200 risers is pretty basic. Paint and/anodising can also be in the “OK” area rather than nice. But again their are some that exceed what you’d expect at their price point. Some also have a higher breakage rate as their are shortcuts (or mistakes) in the design.

But of course you are also paying for the prestige that goes with owning the more expensive kit - whether you care or not - mental boost for some. These manufacturers are also the ones who give back by supporting competitive events - again if you care.

Ultimately it comes down to how it shoots - and you play a big part in that. So an expensive riser might shoot no better… or it might shoot £400 better (or more). Probably at about £50 per point over a 720 round. <— please note that this figure was achieved by waving a damp finger in the air and picking a number at random.

I’d guess that 99% of archers would never need a riser more expensive than ooh lets say a Sanlida Miracle X10, a Kinetic Sovren or a Seb Flute Evo. (Says the archer with a backstory of lots of very expensive risers and would probably fit in the 99%)

Stretch

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
My main want is a riser that is straight.

I've been through a lot of risers. And generally speaking, the cheaper the riser, the more out of alignment and harder to correct it is. Obviously there are exceptions, but cheaper risers are made to a greater margin of acceptable tolerance.
I do like a riser that hasn't got a ripped off design or that is a clone of someone else's hard work. I want it cut with some curves - that takes some skill - and I want some quality anodising. Preferably in a dead sexy colour combination.
I also like a particular geometry that doesn't overstress limbs, and the option to put mass where I want it, but that's very personal. You can see how this starts to get interesting...

But most of all, let it be straight. Makes life so much easier.

inthemiddle

Thanks for the input so far. Interesting stuff for sure :) I normally shoot Compound but having a dabble with recurve again as the coaching course I'm on is very recurve biased. I have to say I'm getting hooked :) So I'm shooting with a WNS Motive FX that Ive had a few years. I'm wondering if there is any reason to replace it at some point? The build quality and finish is really good. It looks like a Knock off Win&Win from a few years ago or and SF forged plus

Last edited:

Whitehart

We have low cost risers and limbs thanks to the Chinese.

A few popular low cost risers also claim to be CNC but they are extruded aluminium ( Arios Vygo Novius Ember) and then CNC finished, then there is drop forged with CNC finishing i.e SF Forged and Motive FX.

Whatever the political issues about doing business, the cat is completely out of the bag. Risers at these price points are crucial to the growth of Archery as it reduces the price barrier to entering and enjoying our sport without too many compromises and even the build quality over the past 5 years is a lot better. For many archers this will be all they ever need (if they cost more we would stand the risk of putting archers off joining clubs buying equipment) and they will see good service from their investment. £80- £200 is the majority of riser sales in the World and all would appear to be "creatively" designed it is probably the reason ILF has not advanced (other than a use of different materials and some tinkering with geometry) since the 1990's.

But if you were to spend a bit more on full CNC risers or full carbon the difference is very noticeable.

If it were not for Covid there would have been far more risers made in factories in China flooding the market along with accessories and carbon arrows.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks for the input so far. Interesting stuff for sure :) I normally shoot Compound but having a dabble with recurve again as the coaching course I'm on is very recurve biased. I have to say I'm getting hooked :) So I'm shooting with a WNS Motive FX that Ive had a few years. I'm wondering if there is any reason to replace it at some point? The build quality and finish is really good. It looks like a Knock off Win&Win from a few years ago or and SF forged plus
WNS is one of the W&W brands?
So they will benefit from the design, QA etc of the higher priced brand. The expertise gets passed down the chain. One reason to look at the budget brands of the big boys...

I'm currently shooting the most expensive riser I've owned. It's beautiful, hand made, and I can't fault the customer service of the mfr. And as TT said, straight 😀. Has to be, really as there's no adjustment.

inthemiddle

But if you were to spend a bit more on full CNC risers or full carbon the difference is very noticeable.
Can you please expand a little on what you notice to be better?
My wife has a Merlin Mybo Elite and loves it but as she is right handed and me left I can't try it. it seems to have all of the attributes you describe and is considerably heavier than my WNS riser. I have lots of experience shooting Hoyt, Mathews and PSE Compounds, but my time with recurves is limited to Hoyts from back in 2003 ish.

Last edited:

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I’ve just moved from a £130 ish Vygo to a Mybo Elite and there are noticeable differences in finish and performance - you can definitely see and feel where the money has been spent. The supplied wood grip of the Vygo is the only part of the bow that ,for Me, is ‘better’ and a nice looking wood grip is available for the Elite. (Alternative have them in stock)
Very happy with the Elite which has the bonus for me of being (very well) made here in UK, mind you I have yet to try a Tempest...I fear that may be an expensive thing to do. :unsure:

BTW, there are a few cosmetic seconds of the Elite available on eBay for a good saving.

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thanks for the tip..just having a look :)

Edit

I just ordered a cosmetic seconds Lizard green Elite off ebay for £282 posted :)
You will be impressed by it I’m sure.
The Lizard green is a great looking thing - I went for the Ice Blue as there is already a green riser in our club and I would have been subjected to violence had I got the Lizard green option..the Ice blue is pretty cool as well though.

inthemiddle

You will be impressed by it I’m sure.
The Lizard green is a great looking thing - I went for the Ice Blue as there is already a green riser in our club and I would have been subjected to violence had I got the Lizard green option..the Ice blue is pretty cool as well though.

Nice colour. Had no choice on the colour as it's what they had in left handed.. :ROFLMAO: My Blue sight won't look right though so I removed the anodising from it last night so it's now silver.