What's new at your club?

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Dave's very nicely asked me to moderate the Club News section. Since my own club has no news, I've kicked off with some news about the Bronte Archers of Bradford.

So what's the news at your club? Any open shoots scheduled? General meetings? Coaching opportunities? Problems with your ground? Let the world know!

cliveanne

Ironman
We had a coaching session for Long-Bow, Recurve & Compound archers at Burton Bridge Archers A great time was had by all. We had visitors from clubs in Derby & Chesterfield. The Compound was interesting to me, as I was looking to get one for myself, also, as a coach, I needed to learn more about this type of bow.

We have just finished our beginner's course, 40 beginners in total, of which 13 juniors & 7 seniors have joined our ranks.

Some of our members are off to Wales on a shooting holiday My Good Lady & I included. More on that later

We have had a grant to put up a shelterd shooting area & an access ramp for wheelchairs to our clubhouse

archer

<h3><span lang="EN-GB" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Our? club ?FALKIRK??? http://falkirkcompanyofarchers.ok9.co.uk? is having a archey vist to Bangor in 4th NOV? shooting against them? oh i the black? suff? will be going down? the club use to have a yearly? shoot with? Bangor? for 5/6 years? they use come to FALKIRK so this is the it getting started up again?, Do any of you have any intershoots</span><span lang="EN-GB" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">?with other clubs ect </span></h3>

secbridarchers

Our club Bridlington Archers is having a friendly inter-club competition with Panda Bowmen on the 22nd October from where our Coach defected last December. Not forgetting that on the 6th November we hold our annual indoor tournament in Bridlington Sports Hall.

secbridarchers

Had a great day at Panda ground yesterday with the inter-club challenge. It rained solidly all day but everyone enjoyed themselves and went home wet, but happy. Thanks to all the guys at Panda for their hospitality and friendship. Looking forward to a return match next year.

cliveanne

Ironman
A new round

Burton Bridge Archers have decided to see what we can score with 24 arrows on a darts face @ 20 yds 1 session only, no sighters or practice. Can be shot at any time. Could prove interesting...

robbo

The annual Green Dragon Bowmen Windsor is coming up on May 14th.

If anyones interested in taking part you can find the application form at the link below:

http://www.greendragonbowmen.org.uk/pdfs/windsor2006.pdf

We've also got the end of indoor season club champs at the end of this month. This has been my first indoor season so I hope to use this shoot as marker each year to see how i'm progressing.

cliveanne

Ironman
Are our days numbered?

Looks like we could be on our way out from our club site. F00tb@ll seems to rule the roost. It seems that over the past few weeks junior games have had to be cacelled due to bad weather. I think, 2 weeks ago one of our archers went to shoot on Tuesday (Our club practice day), only to find hudreds of kids & several pitches taking up our archery practice space. No way could she shoot :muttering she was not well pleased as you could imagine. I've just had a 'phone call from one of our members asking me & other commitee members to go to a meeting with the "Parent club's" committee (This Wednesday). Seems that our Secretary had a right slanging match with the Chairman of this other committee. They want to run the F00tb@ll matches Thursday evening...THIS WEEK when our Beginner's course starts. If we do not toe the line, we could be on our way out, & looking for another field.
Ain't life & politics a wanderful thing?
Watch this space :whistlebl

Paper_Arrow

similar thing happened to me on sunday. Turned up for the regular club shoot to find a junior ****** league match taking place on the field. The owners didnt think the club went outside till may, despite them providing the catering for a tournament the weekend before!!

cliveanne

Ironman
Paper_Arrow said:
similar thing happened to me on sunday. Turned up for the regular club shoot to find a junior ****** league match taking place on the field. The owners didnt think the club went outside till may, despite them providing the catering for a tournament the weekend before!!
Seems to me, they keep their brains in their boots.

cliveanne

Ironman
Club update

The two clubs met last night & had it out, it seems that the ***** assoc' were giving the clubs a lot of hassle, demanding that various matches be played by a certain date, otherwise monies would be redirected to other venues. Due to various cancelations with the matches, referee availability etc. it fell to us to have to put up for the next three week loads of kids booting a ball around, & no doubt their parents getting in the way at times.
To keep things short We have agreed to move our shooting area to the far side of the pitches. This will be hard work, draging equipment for about 20 archers a good 200yds or more, setting it up, then taking it all back at the end :sigh:
The good news is, there will be a bigger effort made in comunication in the future, hopefuly these meeting wil then never take place again. :fight:

simon m

Ironman
Beginners course starts thursday night at berkhamsted Bowmen

Over subscribed with juniors mainley.....60 on a waiting list for 20 spaces

cliveanne

Ironman
simon m said:
Beginners course starts thursday night at berkhamsted Bowmen

Over subscribed with juniors mainley.....60 on a waiting list for 20 spaces
20 spaces that's nice. Last year, our "Senior(?) coach took on the best part of 40 beginners :jaw-dropp It was too late when we found out the numbers. We told her, that if she tried that again, she'd have the lot to herself. The reason for so many ? she wanted to boost the club funds :faint:

simon m

Ironman
Our coaches refuse to over the 5 to 1 ratio really, to give maximum attention to each pupil, but they organise it themselves

cliveanne

Ironman
simon m said:
Our coaches refuse to over the 5 to 1 ratio really, to give maximum attention to each pupil, but they organise it themselves
We rope all archers in with 12months experience or more to assist. I will not go into the history of the coaching set-up, but to say that one coach (Senior-SELF APPOINTED) organises the course...we then tag along.
Not the best way to do it, but the club will not change. I think the reason is "That if you're daft enough to run it....It's yours :rottentom

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Wow, 5 to 1? We keep it down to no more than 2.3 to 1 (seven pupils to three instructors in our current sessions). Our thinking is that we're more interested in getting long-term members than in getting beginners course fees, so we want people to have plenty of shooting time and attention to encourage their interest, rather than have them standing around waiting to shoot.

We only rope in other senior members for specific tasks. We don't want too many different sources of advice to be coming at the beginners.

simon m

Ironman
5 to 1 is the coach to newbie ratio theres other archers present from the club, who will talk to the beginners etc.

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
This thread seems quiet? Must be loads going on, yeh?
Next Sunday we're hosting a (very) friendly shoot - De Montfort Uni are joining us for arrows and lunch. Our friend and regular contributor to AIUK - DMU_AC - has just won his first senior (see threads elsewhere), so I'm going to sneakily hacksaw partway through his bottom limbs while he's eating!
Steve

Marcus26

Our club just received a grant to put a shade over our whole shooting line, all 90m of it.
This will allow us to shoot in summer under cover and help protect us against the nasty Aussie sun. Jan/Feb is pretty bad down here, often reaching 40?C with massive UV ratings. Pretty easy to burn within 30min just shooting. By contrast I spent 3 weeks in Madrid last year under 35?c heat and barely tanned.