When is time to upgrade to x-10?

dottorfoggy

So, you guys, what do you think on move to x10 from ace?
There is a limit on the ace shaft that can improve the x10?
Is three years now that I'm in archery and just now I'm considering to maybe do this upgrade, it will worth?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Are you starting to get competitive? Well into blue badge/red badge territory?

X10s are not actually better than ACEs, just designed for less wind drift, squeezing a few more points out of round in less than ideal conditions...

(Gtek will probably now show up and tell me I'm wrong... :) )

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Hmm. I can get X10s secondhand so I jumped as soon as I could afford to.
I do spend a liitle time asking questions of the seller (have they been cut off the back - a nono for me - any spinters chips or dings, have they been shot into straw) then carefully assess each one before and after shooting, rejecting to the practice set the iffy ones.
I like the greater mass for smaller diameter.

dottorfoggy

I don't have tried yet this year outdoor, I have just a good feedback from the indoor season whit technique and consistency, at the end I manage a 590 in training and 565 in the finnish finals.
Now in these days I'm trying spines, 370/400/430, and I'm finding that heavier arrow (lower spine) are slightly more stable and less nervous the bow.
That's why I'm thinking to change to heavier shaft like the x-10.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Good reasons. And better ones than the usual "it's time and I can afford it" or even the slightly more relevant "confidence" ones.

dottorfoggy

My main objective was to focus first on the form and then up grade my bow and the others stuff after a good base, now from a really pushing prodigy xt I have change to a normal geometry on the nano max, both 27"
Today was the first time of the year outside and here the grouping with a side wind to right from 6 to 16 m/s and you can see how it effect on my ace

Three different spine, purple nock 370, withe nock 400 and blue nock 430.

The one on the far left on 1 on 7 o'clock isn't mine

dottorfoggy

I can wait in eternity for that :yummy:

BTW I will probably move to x10 next month, and another question is, how improve the grouping tungsten point? 240€ for a dozen sound a lot :(

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Technically, there is no right or wrong time to "upgrade" to X10's.....

If you believe that your current arrows are negatively effecting your scores and that X10's will rectify that, then upgrade....if not, save your cash.

dottorfoggy

I have been shooting 10 days in a row with 90/120 arrows a day, depend how tired was after work.
In terms of point I'm in the 640/660 at 70 meters.
It was a good chance to consolidate my shooting and refine the tuning.
Now, I'm using the ace 430, 32,5" and they are weak,bare shaft are landing at right black at 70mt, 400 in the middle, so I need to change the spine and I think it worth now to move to the x10 with the 380 spine.
Shaft will be heavier, from 15,4 grams to 18,4 grams, outside diameter is the same, just 0,27mm difference.

dottorfoggy

So, yesterday I have ordered x10 finally, so let's how they perform.
I'm starting the outdoor season next week, in training I'm in the 640/650 at 70 with ace

dottorfoggy

I have made my pb last week with the waek ace with a 626, yesterday for time with the x10, it's a pleasure finally to shoot with the right spine first and with them too..
My bow work smoother and quiet. In two week I have a double 70m and I'm really positive on the result too