When to start using a clicker?

cliveanne

Ironman
:idea: There is an alternative to the clicker, as used by those who are hard of hearing. A weighted wire that sits at the top of the arrow, when the draw-length has been achieved, the wire drops down & makes contact with the topmost finger on the grip. Not as quick as a clicker, but somewhat quieter.

Marcus26

Murray said:
Um, disagree - "it goes click and you let go, if you're ready and committed to the shot, otherwise it goes click and you come down and start again" :D
Every archer should be able to draw through the clicker and not flinch or shoot the arrow... I've come across few club level archers who can do that.
Depends on teh part of the process at the time.

I think what I see as the biggest issue here is that people are assuming the clicker is a draw check. I would even hazard a guess as to think some think it is OK to go "Aim.....click.......release"

What is the difference between a 1100 and a 1200 shooter?

How well they use their clicker.

When you start anticipating the click in order to decide on bailing out of the shot process then you are using it badly and poor scores will follow.

However if you are in your normal aiming process and the clicker clicks as normal a good shooter will release because the action is faster than the click sound.
A good clicker user releases on a feel, not a sound (my wife shoots with her iPod blarring and touches arrows together all night at 18m)

The biggest problem with having archers not use clickers correctly from day one is that they develop very very bad habits that are not easily fixable, including:
Poor back tension use
anticipation
bad release
snap shooting

jerryRTD

I have been giving the Idea of another draw lenght check some thought and I have come up with this. Now we use fiber opitic pins I was thinking of using the arrow to interupt the path of the light to the pin so that when you have drawn far enough the tip of the pin lights up and you shoot.