When to varnish new arrows

Corax67

I am in a slight muddle at the moment - working on a new set of arrows to go with my new longbow; have them all nicely spined, cut, nocks & points fitted.

I cannot for the life of me remember whether you fletch then varnish or varnish then fletch?

What is the general consensus of opinion on this?

Karl

dgmultimedia

Supporter
Supporter
I usually do everything to the shaft, size, point and nock, cresting, clear coat then fletch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Corax67

Thanks David - not planning on cresting these as I have name labels to go on for use in competition.

Do you fletch straight onto the varnish or lightly sand the footprint of where the feather will go to give the glue a key?

Karl

RMH

I find the best way is to finish the shaft completely first. I then lightly go over the whole shaft lightly with 000 wire wool then fletch. Once fletched I either pop on another coat of varnish using a small brush between the fletchings which helps seal them in or use wood wax and give them a coat of that, let it dry then buff up, job done.

Corax67

Many thanks - first coat of varnish applied - going to need all the protection they can get if this rotten rain keeps up until the weekend :(

Karl