Where to Position Nocking Point?

Martin T

I’m quite new to archery so please bear with me if this seems a stupid question.

I’m looking to attach some brass nocking points to a new string. I‘ve googled how to fit a nocking point on a string and most articles and videos are saying to align your bow square on the arrow rest and then fit the TOP nocking point a certain distance above this. The distances given seem to vary wildly from 1/8“ to 5/8” (3 to 16mm), with an average of around 3/8” (9mm). Once the top nocking point is attached, they recommend placing the arrow nock on the string then fitting the bottom nocking point.

Chatting to some of the more experienced archers at my local club, they said this is the distance to place the BOTTOM nocking point then you attach the arrow and fit the top nocking point.

So my question is which is correct - or are they both correct but require different distances above perpendicular? What distance above perpendicular would you recommend I place my nocking point and should it be the top or bottom nocking point? I am just looking for a reasonable starting point.

For info, I’m shooting a WNS Motive FX riser with WNS Delta F3 limbs 68-22lbs.

Appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Last edited:

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Hi
I always fit the top nocking point first.
Some tuning manuals suggest 16mm from the rest to the underside of the top nocking point as a starting point for tuning. They expect you to drop that down as you go.
Arrow size will also have an impact - obviously a fatter arrow will need to have a higer NP.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Have a look here: http://www.archersreference.co.uk/archref_05.pdf - page 18 is what you're looking for. (the diagram is a little unusual as it only shows the top nock fitted, but you need to measure to the bottom of the nock. I always recommend starting about 4mm.

In summary, I always measure to the bottom of where the nock will go (i.e. the TOP of the bottom nocking point).
Fit that first, put an arrow on the string above it, then fit the second nocking point above that (give it a small gap so the arrow isn't trapped hard between them, don't make it super tight)