Which centre serving material

messyhead

Hi folks. I removed a tied on nocking point at the weekend, and the centre serving was damaged and unravelled. So I need to repair it.

However, I've never done one before, so I'm a bit unsure what material to get.

The string is a reign string, and it's for a recurve.

I've been looking on a few stores, and the prices range from ?7 to over ?20, so any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to break the bank with buying an expensive serving thread.

Contact reign direct , Simon will probably reserve for free as long as you cover postage . YouTube is your friend for string making loads of great stuff there but be prepared to spend a bit of money first on kit and materials , it is good to beable to make your own strings as it allows you to experiment but unless you mbm I don’t think most people could tell the difference between materials. Don’t get me wrong I really enjoy making my own and friends strings but there are a few good string makers in the uk and for what they charge you can’t go wrong

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
If you can get someone to repair it for you, do that.
It's not just the thread, it's the serving tool as well. It doesn't pay to buy a cheap one of those.

Of course, if you're intending to have a go at making strings sometime soon, then that's a different situation...

GoneBad

There is also the question of what thickness your serving thread is. They are measured in thousandths of an inch 0.016 0.018 0.021 0.022 typically and affect the arrow nock fit. A Beiter serving tool is lovely but pricey, one of the cheaper Cartel or Avalon serving tools will do the job but is slightly more tricky to get a consistent tension on the thread. I would suggest starting with Brownell Diamondback 0.018 it is easy to work with and if the nock fit is too loose you can build it up with dental floss. Make sure you serve in the same direction as the string twist otherwise the serving will try and unravel. Check which way the old serving is wound. Also, don't serve too tightly or you will get serving separation. If the serving jig spins back around the string when you let go of it then it is too tight. Practicing on an old string will pay dividends. A word of warning though, if you enjoy reserving this string you will have 3 serving tools, 2 string jigs and about 30 reels of string material and serving thread by summer.

messyhead

Contact reign direct , Simon will probably reserve for free as long as you cover postage . YouTube is your friend for string making loads of great stuff there but be prepared to spend a bit of money first on kit and materials , it is good to beable to make your own strings as it allows you to experiment but unless you mbm I don’t think most people could tell the difference between materials. Don’t get me wrong I really enjoy making my own and friends strings but there are a few good string makers in the uk and for what they charge you can’t go wrong
Thanks, I think I'l do that. I would prefer it done professionally, rather than botch it myself.

I do have an old string that I might practice on at some point in the future. But as this is my main string, and I've got a competition in a few weeks, I'll see if I can send it back.

Edit: Is facebook the best way to get in touch with Reign? I can't find a website for them.