Which release aid to use?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Over the last 2 years, I have been able to release my arrows while the sight is in the gold.(prior to that I had TP and had to release before I reached it)
So, since shooting "properly" even if not very well, I have used a Loesch trueback tension release, (mainly the hand held but recently the wrist strap too) and a Choclate Lite.
Both have their merits. The Loesch requires a very simple technique, just pull. I realise that it is simple in words and not always so simple when shooting.There are times when the release goes off at the right time, times when it is too early and often it goes too late.
With the Chocolate Lite, it could be said that there are more options. I can pull a little, or a lot, while pressing gradually on the trigger to get a surprise. So,I can modify the way I activate the release to some extent and select the one I prefer, if that makes sense.
The way I shoot these days is the way I started 2 years ago. When I learn something new and refine my technique, I usually try the Carter again to see if the new refinement works as well with that, as with the Loesch.
I have reached the stage now where I feel I should make a decision and stick to one or the other.I realise that there is still work to be done on whichever I select.
I don't think I should decide on the spin of a coin or even on scores; I tend to miss in different ways with them.
Is there any aspect that I should bear in mind when making that decision?
Thanks.

I

indy

had a chocolate lite which i thought was rubbish,now use a fletch hunter (wrist) a lot cheaper and far better,well for me anyway. also have a fletch hunter concho as a back up.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks LMP. I think I could say both suit me but the confidence aspect could be decisive. At present I am more confident that the Carter will go off before it gets too late. The Loesch makes me go blue some times.

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I'm not sure tbh... its that long ago since I tried it - but I wasn't shooting wheelie bow then! :beer:

Marcus26

Totally go with the Choc Lite.
While the pull type releases are good, I think they only take you so far. I certainly score higher with a trigger over my Evolution.
However this week I have started shooting a Solution 2.75. After some time getting use to it it is working very well. Even considering using it at our Nationals next week. (change releases a week before a Nationals. What could go wrong?) It is teaching me one thing the other 2 did not, relaxing of the forearm.
So perhaps the answer is using what both teach you, but on something else.

sky_high30

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
LMP - I've an original mark one that's identical to Tictacs. They were straight with a "Peg" type thing for the 4th finger. I'm ameanable to offers...;-).

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Marcus, what you say makes a lot of sense. I think I have learnt good things from both, too. I believe I can make progress with either as there are areas of weakness in my use of both.
It makes sense then, to use the Carter and maybe remind myself of the real surprise feelings with the Loesch now and again.
Thanks all.

P

pyroarch57

Geoff, you can have the best of both worlds with your choc lite. By putting a medium/heavy spring in and bringing your thumb over to pre-load the release (my thumb actually goes over and touches my index finger) you will be able to just pull through the shot without applying thumb pressure to the trigger (one less thing to think about). Just pull with your back muscles ensuring that your hand, wrist, and forearm are fairly relaxed. If you feel you need to get the shot off a little faster, just pull a TINY amount quicker, (it`s so negligible you wont notice it) but your mind MUST be relaxed and unhurried when you do this.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks Pyroarch.
I used the Carter today and was getting on better than normal. I think it was something to do with having learnt other things from the Loesch recently.
Being patient on the shot and with my progress seems to be a key issue. I will have to learn about patience...............!!