Which release?

Tank

I know this has been done a hundred times, but if you could just spare me a moment and tell me what release aid you use. I dont always have the luxuary of getting to a store to try them all out so i'm after your thoughts. I know there are lots to choose from but if one particular type dominates....well you can't all be wrong. In the past i've shot a wrist release and a hand held with pretty much the same result, but I would like to try a back tension release, the carter evolutions sound very interesting and maybe what i'm looking for but as they are expensive i need to be sure it would be a good move for me. Thanks for your help in advance guys!

niceguy

I know this has been done a hundred times, but if you could just spare me a moment and tell me what release aid you use. I dont always have the luxuary of getting to a store to try them all out so i'm after your thoughts. I know there are lots to choose from but if one particular type dominates....well you can't all be wrong. In the past i've shot a wrist release and a hand held with pretty much the same result, but I would like to try a back tension release, the carter evolutions sound very interesting and maybe what i'm looking for but as they are expensive i need to be sure it would be a good move for me. Thanks for your help in advance guys!
I had a Carter evolution for a while but I didn't like the 3 finger body also the safety is relax to remove which I didn't like I tended to relax everything. IMO the Loesch release is better and that's what I currently use.

Back tension releases fall into two groups, those with safety and those without. The purists say the ones without the safety are best but that's not how I found it, can be downright dangerous. Of the ones I've tried the Carter solution 2.5 and Truball sweet spot 2 are by far the best and are the only ones I've kept. The Sweet spot is the easier one to use.Takes a lot of practise and dedication to use a BT release properly.

Any of the Carter trigger releases are good you just have to find the one that fits you.

It's a bit like trying to recommend clothes, releases are very personel and everyone will have a different opinion. I have tried a lot of different types looking for the majic release, for me the Loesch works the best my groups aren't any better but I don't get the fliers and heavy flinches. It's more shooting recurve, similar to pulling through a clicker.

Tank

thats great, thanks niceguy, thats exactly what i want to read. I've heard the carter 2 shot is a 'good' all round release, has anyone had experience with this release?

moley101

Ironman
I've just started shooting with an Evolution + indoors, its seems to work really well, previously i shot a target 3+. My wife shoots with a loesh and swears by it, i find it a little clumsy and heavy in the hand but she ikes the positive feeling that theres a solid lump of metal in her hand. Its a really hard thing to recommend anything as its very much a personal feeling

h20vrrq

thats great, thanks niceguy, thats exactly what i want to read. I've heard the carter 2 shot is a 'good' all round release, has anyone had experience with this release?
I use the 2-shot and its a great release, easily used as a back tension release. Its got a nice solid feel to it and the shot exection is very clean.

Robin Astra

Hi Tank,

I use a Carter Solution 2.5 and it suits me very well. I bought it just before the Evolution came out which other people recommend. As others have said, release aids are a very personal thing. The Solution has cured the TP which I had developed with a trigger release and the shape of the Carter just fits my hand like a glove. I also like the fact that the safety is a positive device; you have to push the lever to release the saftey rather than relax something like the mechanism on the Evolution.
Good luck with whatever you choise!

Robin

GeoffT

Ironman
The Evolution+, once set right, gives the smoothest surprise release possible. Almost like shooting a recurve with a clicker.

The Evolution has made compound shooting fun again, for me.

Marcus26

I used the Evolution at our National titles in the wind this year. Was pleased with my shooting considering the conditions, I don't think the Evo hurt my scores at all.
I now have returned to my Insatiable 3. I am more accurate with it, but still shoot the Evo to keep the action right.
Don't skimp on your release aid. They are worth spending the money on.

komtox

I use a Carter Chocolate lite, it has a very precise action & as most Cater releases it comes with various springs to customise it to your own requirements.( I've tried an Evo + but just can't get on with it.)

Swifty

I'd stick to a Carter as they have a huge selection, are proven to be highly dependable, and can be set up just how you like it. Try some and pick the one you are most comfortable with.

For example, I shoot a Target 3+, which technically is the same release as the Insatiable 3, but with a straight instead of a swept-back handle. This suits me better, but others prefer the swept back handle style. The just cuz is another incarnation of the same basic design, with a straight handle, but now with a closed index finger ring. The Just B-Cuz is the version with the swept-back handle and closed index finger ring. Other releases are suited best for slightly bigger than average hands (Chocolate Addiction), or for slightly smaller than average hands (Fits Me; Fits Me Too) Etc. Etc....

Good luck!

Erika

I shoot the Zenith Comfort 3D. Now on my second one (the old one is now my back up as the handle is quite worn after 3yrs).

Practically indestructible, cheap and they don't fail. And they are comfy in the hand.

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I've shot the carter Fits Me - it's very sweet too!!

If its a back tension.... the Loesch release aid is nice (no idea what its called though!!) :beer:

I shoot a Carter Insatiable 3 with custom spring and 2 friction enchancers. I've found the Insatiable 3 to be the most comfortable in my hand and the sweetest to shoot. I have (until Cuddles Jnr nabbs it back off me) in my quiver a Zenith Comfort 3 finger as well, purely cos I love the dinkyness in the hand and it can come on a s@*g all travel cam. Still love the Evo. If you were looking wrist release, I'd definitely suggest a Carter (Two shot is a nice release, Quickie is as well and simple to use), I'm not deliberately promoting a company for the hell of it but they've proven over decades that they make the highest quality release on the market, trigger, BT or wrist.

mizzat

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Another massive vote for the Evolution. Also, can I draw your attention to the MAKO made by CCPorter. The workmanship is superb and the no travel action if very positive.

Steve

Tank

Thanks everyone, i do really appreciate your answers, carter seems a favourite!! Anyone tried a just b cuz? Been offered a good deal on one of these, could be tempted by your comments?

pantherman

I shoot a carter cheap shot, not very interesting but reliable. Interestingly 3 out of 4 in the top group at the EFAA Nationals (BU Div) shot back tension. 2 of them sweet spots. Tony Weston won the UL div useing one, and Neil Wakling has set most of the EFAA UL records useing one.
Sometimes I wish I could afford one to try, or be bothered to learn to the BT I have. Being honest it's the one you get used to, then get a simular but not the same for when target panic gets you.:ashamed: It helps to change when your snatching!!!!! :yuck: