Which string material

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Has anyone made strings from dynaflight97 and 8125 bowstring material. There is a price difference. I was wondering if the '97' would be a suitable option for making recurve strings?

Dennis

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Question: What is the difference in strength between Dynaflight and 8125? I previously made my strings and cables out of Dynaflight. My strings were made with 16 strands and cables were 14 strands. Now I have started to use 8125 in which I made a string consisting of 18 strands, and I am wondering if 14 strands for a cable would be strong enough because of the smaller diameter. Could you tell me which is faster and more durable, no.2d.016 end serving or no.2s.018 end serve?
Answer: Both DynaFLIGHT 97 and 8125 are made from the highest quality Dyneema? yarn. 97 with its larger diameter is about 23% stronger than 8125, so 18 strands of 8125 would give you similar strength to 16 of 97. Both materials have excellent durability.

We recommend 18 strands of 8125, perhaps 20 in your cables, but consider putting 452X in your cables.

8125 is the faster string material.

If you use too few strands, you are likely to get some "creep"; particularly on the high poundage bows at high temperatures.

Regarding end serving, our 3D and 2S have similar strength and durability. The 3D is popular because of its smaller diameter and 3 ply rounder construction; it seems to serve tighter. Halo .014 or 008" Spectra are other options.
So it seems to depend on how many strands you want to use. 8125 is supposed to be marginally faster, but differences between different types of hmpe are hard to judge. Both should do okay for recurve strings AFAIK.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thanks Rik. So I might save a few pounds using '97' especially as I make strings for other club members at no cost to them.

Dennis

steve Morley

I've been using D97, 8125 for years and recently tried 8190.

D97 does the job fine, the 8125 is easier to work with as thinner strands make a rounder string and easier to get a good nock fit, 8190 is even thinner than 8125 and only slightly faster but arrows group identical with both strings. BCY is a great product with lots of colour choice. I'm exclusively using Halo serving also.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I used D97 once. If I remember correctly the strands are quite flat like narrow ribbons and very smooth( like ptfe tape.) I found the serving was difficult to start as it slipped round easily when I needed it to stay put.