Limbs Will Hoyt Grand Prix limbs work OK on SF Forged+ Riser?

jonUK76

This is a question regarding compatibility. My understanding is the Hoyt Grand Prix system is basically the same as "ILF", although ILF itself is not really a standard (it's never been formally published or agreed as a standard). One supplier includes warnings on their website about "mixing and matching" of limbs and risers, with particular mention of Hoyt having a different pivot point to most other brands.

If and when I was looking to change limbs on my Forged+ riser, should I include Hoyt's as possible candidates, or would you restrict it to SF's own and presumably Win & Win (as they make the SF stuff)? I'm not looking at the moment, so it's a hypothetical question, but I note Hoyt seem to have some nice "intermediate" level limbs now. :)

Thanks

The Hoyt Grand Prix limbs should fit any "ILF" riser; while there is not a published standard, the various brand outputs are sufficiently similar that they all fit each other. I myself mix and match without any issue (although the other way round - W&W limbs on a Hoyt riser), and I know a number of other archers who do so as well. The only issue I have ever really seen is the width of the notch at the bottom of the limb is sometimes to tight for the tiller bolt (usually a varnish/finishing issue), but that is nothing a quick pass or two with a fine file/fine sandpaper won't sort out.

Mixing and matching may result in unexpected poundage variations, as the marked weight on limbs has been measured to a specific point on a specific riser (usually the manufacturers own brand), so differing geometries and measuring points at the end user can create a different value than expected, which does need to be borne in mind when swapping between limb manufacturers, particularly without trying them first - for example, on the same riser at the same draw length, there is around a 2lb difference in OTF weight between identically marked SF Axioms and Samick Privileges

As always, the best thing to do if you want to try a particular limb is to call your local archery shop - they may not have it in stock, but should be willing to order you in some to try, particularly if you are moving up beyond the "starter" limbs

Hope that is helpful,

Dan

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Yes, they will be fine, but I wouldn't buy them... My personal choice now would be either the Mybo carbons, or uukha limbs.

jonUK76

Thanks Dan, that is very helpful. Yes I've experienced odd poundage differences - my KAP Winstorm 2 34lb limbs are actually coming out at 39 lbs at my draw length (28.5"), which surprised me, and that's with the tiller bolts out 6 full turns... Makes me wonder if they were mislabelled... Luckily I have a good archery shop not too far away when the time comes to change.

jonUK76

Yes, they will be fine, but I wouldn't buy them... My personal choice now would be either the Mybo carbons, or uukha limbs.
Thanks. Well that's something for the future (no immediate plans to change limbs) but I'll add them to the list to consider.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
The Hoyt Grand Prix limbs should fit any "ILF" riser; while there is not a published standard, the various brand outputs are sufficiently similar that they all fit each other. I myself mix and match without any issue (although the other way round - W&W limbs on a Hoyt riser), and I know a number of other archers who do so as well. The only issue I have ever really seen is the width of the notch at the bottom of the limb is sometimes to tight for the tiller bolt (usually a varnish/finishing issue), but that is nothing a quick pass or two with a fine file/fine sandpaper won't sort out.

Mixing and matching may result in unexpected poundage variations, as the marked weight on limbs has been measured to a specific point on a specific riser (usually the manufacturers own brand), so differing geometries and measuring points at the end user can create a different value than expected, which does need to be borne in mind when swapping between limb manufacturers, particularly without trying them first - for example, on the same riser at the same draw length, there is around a 2lb difference in OTF weight between identically marked SF Axioms and Samick Privileges

As always, the best thing to do if you want to try a particular limb is to call your local archery shop - they may not have it in stock, but should be willing to order you in some to try, particularly if you are moving up beyond the "starter" limbs

Hope that is helpful,

Dan
It's not just the width/size of notches. The detent pins can cause issues as well. Variations in length of pins, stiffness of springs etc can lead to problems where limbs are inclined to fall out when you try and string them or go in okay, but will refuse to come out again unless you disassemble the dovetail...
Dovetail fit itself can also be an issue. Variations of a half mm or so in either direction can lead to a fit that is either too sloppy or very tight - sometimes impossible. Border actually makes dovetail bolts in a few sizes to cope with that.

The bottom line is that things should work, but you can't assume so. And recall that Hoyt weighs limbs differently to most mfrs...

Thanks for that Rik - I had forgotten about the dovetail/spring end of things! Oddly, the only time I have had an issue with that on my Hoyt riser was with Hoyt limbs (900cx's as I recall)!

ThomVis

my KAP Winstorm 2 34lb limbs are actually coming out at 39 lbs at my draw length (28.5"), which surprised me,
To my knowledge KAP is a Win&Win brand, so those limbs are probably 34# measured at 26" instead of 28".

RavingRev

Also check the corners of the limb aren't touching the inside of the riser pocket.
This may stop the limb from seating fully.
I've noticed it a couple of times even with single manufacturer riser and limbs.
It's not a big deal to file/sand off the corner of the limb where is touches.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks Dan, that is very helpful. Yes I've experienced odd poundage differences - my KAP Winstorm 2 34lb limbs are actually coming out at 39 lbs at my draw length (28.5"), which surprised me, and that's with the tiller bolts out 6 full turns... Makes me wonder if they were mislabelled... Luckily I have a good archery shop not too far away when the time comes to change.
how are you measuring draw length? If it's to the button, then you need to add another 1.75", or approximately 3lbs at your marked weight...

archeryal

I had a problem with a student's KAP Evolution/SF Axiom riser which did not fit Samick limbs, they had limb bases that were too wide to fit inside the limb pocket sides (as described by RavingRev).

Even as an American, I find Hoyt limbs are getting better, but are overpriced for their quality. I'm a W&W/SF guy and have heard great things about Uukha and MK Korea limbs.

jonUK76

To my knowledge KAP is a Win&Win brand, so those limbs are probably 34# measured at 26" instead of 28".
Interesting. Yes KAP is Win & Win's budget brand, I believe. I didn't know W&W rated their limbs at 26". If that is the case, that would explain it I think.

Also check the corners of the limb aren't touching the inside of the riser pocket.
This may stop the limb from seating fully.
I've noticed it a couple of times even with single manufacturer riser and limbs.
It's not a big deal to file/sand off the corner of the limb where is touches.
Thanks for the suggestion. No the limbs definitely aren't touching the pockets in this case.

how are you measuring draw length? If it's to the button, then you need to add another 1.75", or approximately 3lbs at your marked weight...
Was measured by my coach, to a position forward of the riser, rather than the button. I'm using 29" arrows (excluding the point).

I had a problem with a student's KAP Evolution/SF Axiom riser which did not fit Samick limbs, they had limb bases that were too wide to fit inside the limb pocket sides (as described by RavingRev).

Even as an American, I find Hoyt limbs are getting better, but are overpriced for their quality. I'm a W&W/SF guy and have heard great things about Uukha and MK Korea limbs.
Hi, over here at least the MK Korea stuff I'd mostly class as priced in the high end category (limbs ?6-700), and it also tends to be special order. Uukha do have some mid priced limbs which are interesting. Win & Win have streamlined their range for 2017 so the entry level now is the Winex 2 limb and everything else below the Inno EX range has been discontinued.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
So far as I know, KAP, like W&W, measure at 28.

But "bottom of the range" measurements can be very vague, when you shift limbs between handles. Variations in the amount you can adjust etc can lead to the limb markings being only very approximate, even if you leave out the +-1lb error allowance.
Hoyt, at least, by measuring in mid-range more or less ensure that the limb marked weight will be achieved at some point in the adjustment range at 28.

EVC

FWIW in my experience with Hoyt and W&W risers with W&W and SF limbs is that poundage is close to the expected at the DL I measure them using the AMO criterion, i.e. 28in or 1.75" from the button or grip throat.