Wooden arrow Bodkin/Modkin tips - in screw on?

LittleSkink

I love shooting wood and feather arrows, wanting to try more "traditional" tip too

All my current tips are screw on - you still taper the wood but it gets a firmer grip on the arrow - much prefer the security of these over basic taper glue on tips

But I cant find a "traditional" shape, like Bodkin / Modkin, with a screw fitting - anyone point me in the right direction please ?

Riceburner

Are you using 'Top Hat' piles? I think they do a modkin.

Yes - they do.

With Top Hats you don't taper the shaft at all, just screw the pile on (you need tools to get it properly tight). I've never had one fall off, unless it was one where I'd swapped the pile on the shaft several times (eg swapping to a whistler and back a few times). Even then you can tell it's not got a good grip before you try to shoot the arrow.

You may find they stick more in field 3D targets (ie harder to remove). Personally I tend to use the 'Field' style as they don't tend to stick very deep into trees (ahem).

I tend to cut my arrows somewhat over long (2"+) which obviously some people will look askance at, but it means that if they snap right at the pile (which they tend to), then I just put another pile on and carry on shooting - can do that a few times until the arrow is too short. ;) :)

Last edited:

LittleSkink

thanks Riceburner, didnt realise what the Tophat branding was about - niteresting stuff

You are right about leaving arrows long - I can break tips twice before I have to pass them to my 13 yo to finish off

Another reason I prefer screw on is that hot melt glue works nicely with it, dont like epoxy you seem to need to secure smooth taper tips, as I cant ever seem to clean it out and reuse broken off tips

4d4m

thanks Riceburner, didnt realise what the Tophat branding was about - niteresting stuff

You are right about leaving arrows long - I can break tips twice before I have to pass them to my 13 yo to finish off

Another reason I prefer screw on is that hot melt glue works nicely with it, dont like epoxy you seem to need to secure smooth taper tips, as I cant ever seem to clean it out and reuse broken off tips
Never used screw on points on wooden arrows but had no problems with glue on taper fit brass ones coming off. I think I've had 3 come off in 5 years of heavy use, usually when extracting from tree roots or target frames with major force.

I thoroughly degrease the inside of the point first using IPA or acetone and cotton buds, roughen the tapered wood surface with a pointed implement, apply plenty of hot melt to the tapered end by heating the end of the stick and painting it on. Heat up the point and push on with pliers with a twisting motion to spread the glue around. A good solid push against a block of wood, wipe off the excess round the edge with a rag and let it cool.

Easy enough to remove broken off bits of shaft, screw in a self-tapping wood screw, heat up point on blowtorch, pull apart with 2 pair of pliers.

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
After using Tophat points on my wood arrows for both target longbow and trad bow/Hunting Tackle field archery I would never go back to the glue on type again. I used to use taper screw points and epoxy, and never had a point come off, but the quality of the stainless steel Tophat point and the fact that you can just unscrew it off an old or broken shaft and reuse it is a joy. Get the thread cutting tool and holder.

LittleSkink

just to update my own thread -

I did get hold of some Tophat points, couldn't find Modkin tips in UK but did like the look of brass, so ordered some field points in different weights, and a Tophat installation tool

Alas - not been that impressed initially, but I dont think its all Tophat's fault. The installation tool was a bit rubbish, it kept jamming and the handle fell off, eventually got it (sort of) working with lots of patience and some threadlock. If I was to need a tip installation tool again, I would probably just get a tap cutter handle for 1/3 price. Not impressed

The Tophat tips didnt quite work out either - I have a set of medieval style arrows that these tips were for. But it looks like the arrow shafts are under sized a fraction. The tips go on but are not very secure, over tightening by hand is very easily

So I ended up digging some more and found a supplier of tapered threaded tips, available in brass and Modkin tips (but not both together) that do the job fine for these arrows, and are quite a bit cheaper - taper screw Modkin

Still going to persist with Tophat for convenience (and the fact I have spent £60 on their stuff), but if the arrow shaft isnt quite right I can always go tapered