World masters Games - Japan 2021

JohnK

Absolutely. Shame it's only two events, but we've always wanted to go to Japan, so we can spend a few weeks touring the country.

(I tried to convince the organisers to include field, but they weren't interested.)

JohnK

Sadly not. I am very disappointed. I strongly suspect they neglected to look at the numbers for the 2018 Masters Archery Champs in Lausanne, and because of the competition schedule and venue, they're now in a position where they can't increase numbers to meet demand.

I've contacted the IMGA and am waiting to hear back from them. I'm hoping they will extend the schedule and open up more spaces.

clarke150555

I wonder if the lack of spaces is because they are also running a para event on the same days. It also counts as the Masters World Championship, and is sold out before WA have even got it in their calendar! Don't think WA will be happy. Not sure what agreement Tom Dielen signed with them.

JohnK

Yes, as I said above, I don't think they took into account the fact that it's now the Masters Champs for archery.

For example, at the WMG in Auckland, there were about 40 men in the 50-59 target recurve category for outdoor target. In Lausanne in 2018, there were 70.

I suspect World Archery knows about this. I hope something can be done.

clarke150555

Also, Kansai have restricted World Championship entries to the 50 to 59 category. But it is actually open to anyone older than 50 who shoots in the 50 to 59 category, so over 59s should have the option.

JohnK

At previous Games, competitors have had the option to shoot in any lower age category they chose; so 50-59 age group archers were able to shoot in the 40-49 category, for example.

As my category was full, I asked why the booking system wouldn't let me drop an age category. I was told they weren't going to allow it. Now, it's irrelevant, as all categories are full.

If they don't add some spaces, I have the choice of trying to grab a barebow spot and switching disciplines if I get one, or giving up and training for the 2022 World Masters Archery champs instead.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Aaaaaaaaaaaargh!
For some dumb reason I thought I had more time, that I'd get an alert email re opening, that pre-reg couldn't start until late-Feb, and that it would so steady like last time. But no, completely wrong - incl. forgetting that the WA Masters Champs had been rolled into the WMG so slots would be scarce - let alone that the brilliant IMGA had, in spite of expecting to expand the WNG from 30k to 50k athletes, had reduced the scale of archery.....
I did get occasional dumb emails saying WMG22 is coming - but I missed the little sentence in the one the night before Christmas Eve saying "Registration begins at 10:00 am on Feb. 1st, 2020".
So, no, I didn't get a place. Which is such a bummer as I'd started my 18-month run-up.

clarke150555

Oh no! Sorry to hear that you didn't get a place. I'm on the waiting lists, but don't hold out much hope. Has anyone got a place? I saw a lot of people on facebook saying they haven't got places - some in the States and Australia. A lot saying the registration website is terrible and ruined their chances - I agree!

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Get on the waiting list, and hope.
Yes, good idea.
Up early today and..... I re-registered (my existing WMG registration didn’t work - par for the course); I then went through the motions of registering and was of course stalled at the sport selection page as, yes, archery is full (no link to waiting list); logged-out; logged-in, chose Waiting List; script said email them; found email addresses (one each for Indoor & Outdoor - good grief); sent two emails; got two emails back telling me archery was full and I should go to the waiting list page; somewhat circular...... I guess this means I’m on the waiting lists now???? Maybe I’ll email them again, twice, to be sure....
BTW, in the Waiting List page there’s a link to the list of sports here. In that schedule, dated 1-Feb, ONLY archery is shown as already full. I assume this means archery is the only WGM sport that’s been completely messed-up by IMGA/WA. So maybe they’ll do a re-think and double the size of the competition? Ever hopeful.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Oh no! Sorry to hear that you didn't get a place. I'm on the waiting lists, but don't hold out much hope. Has anyone got a place? I saw a lot of people on facebook saying they haven't got places - some in the States and Australia. A lot saying the registration website is terrible and ruined their chances - I agree!
Which FB page was that plse...

clarke150555

This WMG 2021 Kansai post has comments and they linked to other posts. If you look at the comments on earlier posts there are other exasperated archers!
Screenshot_20200219-194149.png

clarke150555

I wrote to World Archery about the event being full and the over 50 championship. They have replied that they are aware of the issues and have contacted IMGA.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Looks like they know they’ve screwed-up, and the heat is on them. We’ll see what happens.
I’ve messages then asking:
1. Am I on the waiting lists for: (a) Archery Indoors; (b) Archery Outdoors/
2. How many people are on these waiting lists?
3. What is my position on these waiting lists?
4. How many successful registrations were there for these sports?
BTW, opening registration at 10:00am Japan time, i.e 01:00am GMT and then it was full within hours? If anyone reading this got through and registered, when did you manage it? Not vital.... just curious.

JohnK

Do let us know if you get any replies. I've gone back and forth with them a few times, and they flatly refused to answer some specific questions, such as how many places they allowed in all the age groups and categories. All they confirmed was that they allowed 200 places for the indoor and outdoor events respectively, which is clearly not enough. The IMGA have been much more helpful so far.

I can well believe many categories filled within a few hours; after all, there's bound to be a strong local showing, and also from countries closer to the Japanese time zone than we are.

I'm wondering whether we'll see developments when they add barebow categories. It will be difficult for them to avoid doing that.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Crunching the numbers...
There were 288 archers at Auckland (113 from NZ, 74 from Aus, 101 from Rest Of World).
The WA Masters in 2018 in Lausanne had 194 entrants.
So, if Kansai were to accommodate all the WA Lausanne archers (194), plus all the RoW archers in Auckland (101), plus a strong local presence (say... 150), they would need capacity of around 450 for Indoors and the same for Outdoors?
Also, given the population of Japan vs. NZ, and the role of archery in S. Korea [& Taiwan] - and in Auckland 113+74 were NZ+Aus, I'd guess the vast majority of the 200 places to be taken by Japanese & Korean & Taiwan archers...