World masters Games - Japan 2021

JohnK

Still no sign they'll be including barebow, so that's me out for sure. Looks like my next Masters event will be the EMG in Finland, 2023... if they include archery.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
FYI, just had the following response from the IMGA re my enquiry re expanding the archery to 600 competitors:

Thank you for your comments and inquiry.
Due to the Covid-19 situation there has been no progress yet in the discussion on this matter.
Now the new dates have been set and everything is being prepared for opening registrations later this year.
We are aware of this issue and it is addressed by the World Archery federation together with the Organising Committee of Kansai 2021.
When we have more news on this subject, we will surely communicate as soon as possible.
Best Regards,
Kirsty

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Well, that’s it then. No WMG for us (unloess I’ve missed something...)
Just recieved the general update email - incl. link to the Archery Sports Information Guide. Which includes “Competition Capacity - 200 participants (including para athletes)”. Good grief. Absolutely absurd. As per my kick-off post on this thread, Auckland was 288 [excl.paras], and that was before it was merged with the World Archery Masters so a field of 600+ is necessary. And, of course, they‘re aiming for 50,000 WMG competitors compared with 28,000 in Auckland and so opened the original registration to favour Japanese entrants - so it hit the archery registration limit in minutes and (of course) while Europe & USA were asleep.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
This has got to be the worst organised major archery competition in history - and it still is a year to the start.
All is (sorta) clear from this FB thread (screenshot below):
- 200 is the limit incl. paras - though more ‘in discussion’ as it had been for 15 months;
- the existing waiting list remains and will be first priority if numbers are increased (or some pull out) - or maybe not;
- the waiting list is closed - but you should apply to join the waiting list;
- new applicants to the [closed] waiting list will have first priority - perhaps over the existing waiting list.
Oh, and the opening ceremony in Kyoto on Friday 13-May in Kyoto is a 3-hour train ride from the archery venue (arriving 22:35) and the outdoor recurve main round is next day Saturday 14-May-22 kicking-off at 10:00.
E9B468E9-CEAB-42A9-B0B6-806EC43D7EF0.jpeg E9B468E9-CEAB-42A9-B0B6-806EC43D7EF0.jpeg

JohnK

It's a shocking state of affairs.

I think the pandemic is no excuse. They'd clearly chosen a venue and programme that set a hard limit of 200 competitors long before COVID-19 reared its ugly head.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I have an email from the organising committee (yesterday) telling me that my existing place on the waiting list is valid and that I will have an option to take up any available place before it is opened out to general availability.
Of course we do not know how many competitors withdrew over the last 14 months. There is still a possibility of places. But I would expect to have to be awake at midnight to secure one.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Major update announced:
- Outdoor now 600 archers (incl. paras & barebow) - see link
- Indoor now 448 arcehrs (incl. paras and barebor - see link
Additional entries [from waiting list] starts noon 3-Sep (4am UK time?)

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Major update announced:
- Outdoor now 600 archers (incl. paras & barebow) - see link
- Indoor now 448 arcehrs (incl. paras and barebor - see link
Additional entries [from waiting list] starts noon 3-Sep (4am UK time?)
This is only for waiting list entrants, as stated in the email of 19th August.

JohnK

Here's hoping they allocate and release the new places in such a way that archers in different time zones get a chance to book some slots.

It's good that barebow is now included, but this doesn't change my mind about not going. I'm waiting for the next EMG (if they decide to include archery) and WMG instead.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
DECISION TIME: if you're on the waiting list, the (re)entry system opens at 12:00noon Tokyo time tomorrow Friday 3rd Sep? Isn't that 4:00am UK time? I may be wrong on this, so if you're up for it plse double-check!
Alas, I've decided not to go ahead. Though I'm now in the (easier?) 70+ group, my form is still rubbish due to finger injury and Covid break, and age is catching up ...

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes, I have a place, but the entry does carefully say that if you enter you must use the code those on the waiting list have, and they will cancel those who do not have that. They will open it up to the general entry after a couple of weeks, I think.
Anyhoo, there are places at 9am UK time...go Senlac, you know you want to! We're all a bit broken, and no one has been practicing!

clarke150555

I have managed to enter, using the individual codes. Still not sure that the event will take place we'll see.

Agree that Senlac should enter. It's not the winning, it's the taking part......

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Very sorry you’ve been jerked around on this TT. And no doubt a ton of thought & effort already invested. Hopefully no hard cash lost. Is theee an uoside for you? Maybe slip into next age cohort now?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
No, just keep practicing! :giggle:

At the end of the day, it's just a sport, and while it's disappointing, I'm mostly concerned with keeping hearth and home together with good health and good cheer. I have a lot to be thankful for just now so I'll just sit tight, try not to break any more X10s (did for one today) and wait.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Ah, but does this delay put you into a different age bracket? Maybe with less competition… and more medal potential?