X10 Pro Tour

Hoyt Hooligan

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Hi is anyone shooting the X10 pro tours yet? if so have they made any difference and is it worth changing from normal x10s.

ThePinkOne

Not sure they ar in the shops over here yet.

I've seen the prototype at Wales Archery, that's about it.

Having said that, I was going to get X10s or Protours, but having experienced the performance of the Axis FMJ I've changed my mind, and will be getting the Navigator FMJ. At least they will last better.

One of the other things that alarmed me was when I changed bows, my Navs were a little short, so I lengthened them by 1/2 inch, using pieces cut from a shaft that had small cracks in nock area. I took the pieces from centre of shaft, well clear of nock. However, when spliced into the shaft ends, the new pieces stood a little proud- demonstrating graphically how much carbon had been worn from the pile end of the shafts by target impact! (Navs are a parallel shaft so should be same width all along length). These were my tournament set of Navs too, not my practice set (I had 2 sets last summer).

So even if I start with a set of matched carbon arrows, they will not stay that long for more than one season. Another good reason (besides price of course) for getting FMJs, IMHO!

P.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Very interesting TPO. Do you notice any drop in performance when the arrows are getting "old"? Or is it easier to see an improvement when you buy replacements?

ThePinkOne

Very interesting TPO. Do you notice any drop in performance when the arrows are getting "old"? Or is it easier to see an improvement when you buy replacements?
Both. Last summer, I was having a few probs- one of which was arrow consistency. I bought a second set and and my tournament scores improved. Groups pulled back in again. As they deteriorate you get a spread- but it's gradual so you don't notice so much. When you shoot he new set, that's when you notice- particularly at 80yds.

P.

cuddles

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Hi is anyone shooting the X10 pro tours yet? if so have they made any difference and is it worth changing from normal x10s.
Stu369 has just got a set from alternative archery, he shot them for the first time on saturday.Although the sun was in his eyes ,so he had a problem seeing the target, at 70metres he was grouping well.Message him and he will be able to tell you more

ThePinkOne

Yeah but I'm still going the FMJ route. They will still have their consistency and spine when the Protours have gotten worn. The mass andparallel shaft should work good off a compound. Nor have I got that level of spare cash for Protours either...

The FMJ arrows are tough too, I shot a nock off one of my Axis FMJs at 6m the other day (I was blank-bailing too!) and the shaft was fine- just put another nock in and back into the quiver. That's the sort of arrow I like when it gets close up and personal at 30m:cheerful:

P.

Merlin Archery

Ironman
Hey Stu. Got my ProTours now too! :raspberry They are sitting in the corner looking at me just waiting to be fletched. Problem is the fletches I want to use aren't here yet...

Merlin Archery

Ironman
The new AAE vane. The old EP's had a really good glueing base and stuck well. But they crinkled easily and were a bit soft. These new ones have the same base, but are more rigid with tougher material. I've seen them and like them, but don't have any! I'm going to be stocking them if they ever get sent.

Merlin Archery

Ironman
Can't remember exactly. The small sizes are, I think. I'll look at the sizes tommorrow when I get back to work. They have a new shape thats similar the 1.87 flexfletch shield profile. Thats the one I fancy.

Hoyt Hooligan

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
mine are now on order getting them fleched with the low profile x vanes nevet tried these before but i willtry out once:cheerful:

greydog

Can't remember exactly. The small sizes are, I think. I'll look at the sizes tommorrow when I get back to work. They have a new shape thats similar the 1.87 flexfletch shield profile. Thats the one I fancy.
They were giving these away at the Vegas shoot, I have a sample bag of about 18 in bright yellow 2" shield cut, if anyone wants them ? I'll be sticking with my X vanes :cheerful:

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
They were giving these away at the Vegas shoot, I have a sample bag of about 18 in bright yellow 2" shield cut, if anyone wants them ? I'll be sticking with my X vanes :cheerful:
I bought some red tiger stripe ones just to be a tart :blush: and if you kept going back to the stand with different hats on you could get enough bags to make up a dozen or so :mischievo

laminatekid

can some one give me a bit of advice I was thinking of getting a set of protours I'm shooting an ultratec cam 1/2 57#@27.5" with an arrow length of 27".
I do have a set of 410 x10 that a friend gave me but they have had a fair bit cut off of the back so tune quite stiff so I'm not sure if the 470 protour would be the best option with ss points.

Hoyt Hooligan

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
can some one give me a bit of advice I was thinking of getting a set of protours I'm shooting an ultratec cam 1/2 57#@27.5" with an arrow length of 27".
I do have a set of 410 x10 that a friend gave me but they have had a fair bit cut off of the back so tune quite stiff so I'm not sure if the 470 protour would be the best option with ss points.
thats the shaft i was recomended for my trykon@58lbs with a 27 draw length the shop will be taking 1/2 inch form the back with the rest from the front of the shaft. i am putting in the tungsten in but i dont think that will alter the stiffness compeared to the ss but i am allways willing to be corrected :indiffere

simon m

Ironman
I was given a suprising bit of advice from Martin at chiltern about protours.

He said "no offense(none taken) but unless your allready very very good you'll not notice the difference between these and much cheapers sets of arrows".

So I'll prolly buy some FMJ's come april