Yew 'Character' Bow

• Thread starter Deleted member 7654
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7654

I cut a Yew log a while back and when I split it the split ran out one side leaving a slender manky stave and a good un.
[/IMG]
Well I'm having a play with the manky stave, it has bends in both directions, to such an extent that the stringline falls outside the handle!!!
[/IMG]
The grain twists and bends so much I've had little choice.
I'm seeing if I can coax a bow out of it, I've got it back to 40lb @ 19" so far.
There is a huge knot showing on the back (a few inches below my string shortening toggle [very handy when tillering]) and pins all up the belly, some even coming out the side.
I've filled one knot already.
There is huge torque when getting a string onto it, but once braced it calms down a little, I'm trying to tiller the limbs to go with flow.
I'm probably foolhardy, and a more cautious individual would wait until it's finished before posting!
Anyhow it may smash but it's just a bit of fun to see how far I can push such an awfull stave.
It's good to share failure as well as success, so we'll see.
I'm having to ignore much conventional wisdom....so
Wish me luck.
Del

barney

I read somewhere (Bickerstaff website?) that some top of the range longbows are tillered slightly off to one side to reduce paradox. Looks like you should get a good 'centre-shot' effect with that one!

D

Deleted member 7654

you should get a good 'centre-shot' effect with that one!
Yeah, I'm building up the side and belly in the handle area with some Yew and Ash, to give a nice pistol grip and arrowshelf...I'll make that look really true which will be a great contrast to the wobbly limbs.
I'm just about back to full draw.
I've even shot an arrow with it, half draw in the garage...
I stabilised some of the smaller knots by putting on epoxy and giveng 'em a burst with the hot air gun, left it overnight and then filed it back down flush.
I've Christened it 'Mr Wobbly' :)
More pics soon.
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

It shoots!

48lb @ 28"... :)
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I shall take Mr wobbly field shooting tommorrow.
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

Full Draw

It shoots pretty well, the torque is much reduced, the cast is a tad sluggish, probably due to there being too much sapwood relative to the heartwood.
I'll tune it up and finish the grip over the next week or so.
[/IMG]
Del

myownslave

nice job on that. looks like a lot of coaxing went into making that sling arrows. a testament to your bowyering skills.

Dustin D

D

Deleted member 7654

Thanks guys :)
I'm not sure how long it will survive...
Del