Zeiss Binoculars.

SLOWHAND

Over twenty years ago in a moment of absolute madness I spent what for me was an obscene amount of money (two weeks wages or there abouts) on a pair of Zeiss 10x40 binoculars. I was into Birding and at the time and these were the creme de la creme and I really lusted after a pair (not entirely healthy, or even normal I know).

Well they've been a constant companion over the years, they've been dropped several times on grass, mud and concrete (rubber armoured so it's ok) sat on, rained on, and generally well used. They are still almost as good as when I bought them and optically perfect. Over time I've compared them with friends much newer models from some well respected brands such as Leica, Nikon, Swift, Bushnell etc and there hasn't been one that I would swapped them for. Anyway with the indoor season looming I thought I would treat myself to a new neck strap so off I went to the shop. Well the shop didn't have the right size strap but it was filled with Swarovskis',Nikons, Opticrons and low and behold the new Zeiss range. I'd put on my best clothes so the salesman thought I had money, he let me try most of the pairs in the shop. The Niks were good, the Swarovskis' were very good but the new Zeiss range blew me away. At last, here was something that was not only better but much better than my twenty year old bins. Even the little 8x32's were sharper, clearer, brighter etc. and the 10x42's were stunning.

Sad to say, they still cost about two weeks wages so if you see me dressed in decent clothes with a manic look on my face heading towards the local camera shop, please grab me and take me to the nearest branch of Bins anonymous. Alternatively if a few of you have a whip round and manage to raise ?900 you could really help with my addiction.

napolienne

Fonz Awardee
I have a couple of old Zeiss lenses knocking around. I don't use them much (strange mounting so can only be used on one of my old film slrs), but when I do they are still amazing. Quality stuff.

I haven't been in a camera shop with my wallet for about 4 years. Can't trust myself not to come out with lots of shiny new toys and a weeping credit card..

Thunk

Ironman
I have Zeiss lenses for my Hasselblad, and they are still amazing even today when most of my photography is done with a Nikon D2X.

The real problem with Zeiss binoculars (or Leica for that matter, which I use) is that one look through them spoils you for anything else...

rod

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Zeiss are the rolls royce of optics, i am also into astonomy and once you see things through a florite lens then nothing will be the same, i have a 5inch florite apo and it out preforms a mirror scope of at least twice the apenture.

SLOWHAND

Zeiss are the rolls royce of optics, i am also into astonomy and once you see things through a florite lens then nothing will be the same, i have a 5inch florite apo and it out preforms a mirror scope of at least twice the apenture.
I bet that makes spotting your nocks at 100 yards real easy!

rod

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
I bet that makes spotting your nocks at 100 yards real easy!
never tried it at archery dave, the scope is 1.25 meter long. the complete set up weighs 40kg, try moving that every 3 arrows:mind-blow